HF: P Burgoyne, Tredrea, Dew
F: Wanganeen, C Cornes, Cockatoo-Collins
Foll: Primus, N Stevens, Francou
Int: Poulton, M Stevens, French, Cassisi, Lade, Thurstans, K Cornes
In: Cassisi, M Stevens, K Cornes, Thurstans
Out: Guerra (omitted)

A nervous wait for four in-form youngsters
http://portadelaidefc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=33786

I have no idea why you'd omit Guerra, but leave Michael Stevens in.

Originally posted by Porthos
I have no idea why you'd omit Guerra, but leave Michael Stevens in.

I have to agree.....as I said on the other thread it stunned me.......the club says it is to give him more game time and he is damn unlucky........

From the club's site:-

The spot up for grabs is the one formerly belonging to 19-year-old tough utility Brent Guerra. Guerra has done little wrong in his limited time on the field this season, highlighted by a goal saving tackle late in West End Showdown XI, but having not had a full run in many weeks, the coaching staff felt it was time for a change. Guerra will have to have his full run in a reserves SANFL side, as his assigned club Centrals has the bye this week.

Re: Re: Rd 7 Team List

Originally posted by Deestroy
Out: Guerra (omitted)
The only way it could be worse now would be if French isn't selected onto the bench! :mad:

I'd say that's a fair chance as well as I'm not sure 3 ruckmen are required and Thurstans is due for a game given his great form in the SANFL.....

We'll know more in the morning once the SANFL sides are known - if French is named in Sturt's squad he's more than likely going to miss the game.

What an odd choice, dropping the Guru back to the Glenelg(?) reserves. Surely one more week of 5 minutes on 20 minutes off isn't goona hurt any more than it has till now. After this week then fine drop him back to the SANFL to get game time. But this is crazy, lets all get down to Glenelg oval to support the Boy!!!

I agree it's pretty odd.....but won't call it stupid if we win on the weekend........

so who's your tip for making the 22......my bench prediction or I should say hope is:-

Poulton, Cassisi, Lade, Thurstans

but for some reason I don't see them dropping M Stevens or K Cornes.........

Brisbane's Team

Rd 7 Brisbane Team
B: Johnson, Michael, Pike
HB: Ashcroft, Leppitsch, C Scott
C: B Scott, Voss, Notting
HF: Power, Brown, Lappin
F: McRae, Lynch, Dan. Bradshaw
Foll: McDonald, Black, Akermanis
Int: from Bolton, Copeland, Charman, Headland, Keating, Morrison, White
In: Akermanis, Brown, Bolton, Charman
Out: Hart

Originally posted by dreamkillers
so who's your tip for making the 22......my bench prediction or I should say hope is:-

Poulton, Cassisi, Lade, Thurstans

but for some reason I don't see them dropping M Stevens or K Cornes.........

I have a feeling Thurstans will play for the Power. I like your bench dreamkillers, but they might not want to make two changes.

According to this paragraph from the official Brisbane site Kane Cornes is favoured to get the nod.

"Cornes is the favoured candidate to replace Guerra, although 19-year-old Cassisi – drafted at No.50 from East Fremantle at the end of 2000 – is the quickest of the lot. If he gets a call-up it will be a memorable game in which to make his AFL debut."

Full article
http://lions.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=33807

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And an even more memorable game to win a Rising Star nomination in. ;)

Again like last week would like to see the thrust get a game. Maybe at the expense of French. As for who will replace the Guru :)( ) well i would think Cornes will just shade Cassisi. I don't believe that Stevens will get a game this week, but may travel as Centrals have the bye, as this ploy will surely prove to be the undoing of Lethal Lee and his support staff;).

Its a shame to leave Guerra out, I have not seen him put a foot wrong any time hes been on the field. Maybe as he always has limited match time his fitness would be down, where most others are getting full games week in week out. The sooner he gets back the better for us.

Good luck to the rest, Id like to see Cassisi given a run,but think Kane Cornes is just in front of him,with Ladey, Poults, and Thurstans on the bench.

Carn the Power

Originally posted by ThePowerFromPort.com
Guerra said last night he is fluey. Perhaps that influenced the decision of the selection committee. The 'run in the SANFL' excuse doesn't sit right with me.

Went and read through the chat transcript again and he actually said he didn't train at all on Wednesday night due to the 'fluey' thing so that may have played a part in the decision........

According to the SANFL lists in the Advertiser:

The Power's Domenic Cassisi has been named for West Adelaide while Toby Thurstans and Barnaby French have been named for Sturt.
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,4290004%5E12428,00.html

Sturt has named an extra player to cover for French, should he play for the Power. According to Rucci, showers have been forecast for Sunday which may mean French will be left out. Michael Stevens and Kane Cornes will both go to Brisbane.
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,4289795%5E12428,00.html

As for Guerra, even if he was over the worst of the flu by the weekend, he could have been a bit flat and possibly still contagious. Hopefully nobody else comes down with it!

Michael bloody Stevens.....

just watching the quarter final from last year on Fox Footy right now, and I maintain what I said at the time - Head to head, Brisbane are a match for us, not better. If that game was at Footy Park, we'd have been prelim finalists, I have no doubt, and hopefully we'll confirm that this week at the Gabba.

Too right, Violetta! Presumably we won't have the ouchie factor this time (or at least they'll be a lot more subtle about it). I'm sure we're more than a chance, and I'm sure the team knows it.

Originally posted by Porthos
Michael bloody Stevens.....

just watching the quarter final from last year on Fox Footy right now, and I maintain what I said at the time - Head to head, Brisbane are a match for us, not better. If that game was at Footy Park, we'd have been prelim finalists, I have no doubt, and hopefully we'll confirm that this week at the Gabba.

Only saw the games once but I remember thinking in one of the games that we were one tall short in our forward line.
White wasn't playing and we weren't able to stretch their defence as much as we should have.
Will be a battle of tactics.
If we try and negate their strengths we will loose.
If we force them to cover the areas where we are better we will win.
Our tall forwards are taller then their tall backs
Our crumbing forwards are faster and more skilful then their non tall backs.
Get the ball in there often and fast and we will play accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back