Autopsy Rd 7: v Dogs @ Mars Sat 5th May 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Shout out to the Sunscreamers. Really brought a presence and affected opposition with chants and flag waving. And yes, that was yours truly with the massive flag putting off all the Doggies set shots, although I did take a mark after a Dogs goal and couldn’t help but have a little celebration.
To top off a dirty afternoon I’m now stuck in traffic coming back.
A few chants audible on tv.

Well done to the supporters there in person.

My thoughts

- played hard but lacked class
- at least 2-3 times we were 3-1 or 5-2 running inside fwd 50 but stuffed up a golden opportunity.

- Couldn’t win a clear effective centre clearance. Most of witts taps were to Lyons or swallow standing flat footed at the defensive side of the contest who then either got swamped or slammed the ball on the boot for a tumble punt going about 30m fwd.

I thought this was particularly poor from the centre group. Witts not even looking to tap it to any mids on the move.

Did not make any use of this massive advantage

Clearances 52-31 against !

- surprised to see cal ah chee in defence but I thought he was great, not sure exactly who he was playing on but didn’t seem to lose a contest all day, had 9 intercept possessions and used the ball well coming from the back half

- really pleased with ainsworths game. He needs to nail some of these snaps though. Finishing around goal not a strong point just yet.

- crossley competes - thank god
- Ballard looked alright
- scheer- eh, tackled well

Not disappointed but ruing that lack of class outside Martin and ah chee it seems

Disappointed and Frustrated.
Disappointed to lose a game where once The Bont pulled out we were a real chance too win ,just dont know how.
Frustrated in the non selection of Brodie and Hall ,our midfield (Swallow And Lyons crying out for help)
but if they have a down day we have very few options.
POSITIVES
A for effort tackling and contesting was all there.
Crossley superb debut -really showed something.
Ainsworth best game by a long way.
Ah Chee terrific return showed real dash and quality.
Young guys all showed a bit just need time .
NEGATIVES
General field kicking was again appalling
Work inside the Forward 50 was terrible too many basic errors cost us certain goals
Sometimes I think players need to be a bit selfish and have a shot rather then over finesse.
Harbrow Rosa Joyce lots of possession meant lots of Clangers.More composure needed.
Sam Day for a big man with athleticism has no impact on a game whatsoever.2 strong marks
against ordinary opposition not good enough.Not going to be the footballer we thought.
Jarrod Witts good honest toiler who gives his all but again no real impact on a game.
Touched the ball 80 times but cannot remember many going to our advantage,most of his hit
numerous hit outs hit his feet or went to opposition. Rarely takes a pack mark and never hits the
scoreboard.Can you imagine what Gawn ,Nit nat or Grundy would do to that opposition.
We desperatley need Wright and Crossley to develop quickly to become a better team.
I know I am in the minority here but that's my honest opinion.
Overall gave it our best shot just let down by poor execution.
Travel and injuries makes the next two weeks look pretty ugly.
The bye cannot come quick enough players looked stuffed in last quarter.

Interesting to note the Bulldogs fans frustration with Tom Boyd. Even when Boyd got a free kick there were Bronx cheers from the whole crowd. One exchange came from behind the hill end where our cheer squad set up - a grassy area where lots of families had set up, so bad language was muted - some guys were savage in their criticism saying Boyd was a hack only in it for the money and he was useless, with Boyd only about 15m away resting forward after battling half a game against Witts on the ball.

Then a smartarse called out "Nah, Tom, it's OK mate, we don't mean it. You're a talented and valuable contributor to our team. If you could just take a mark and maybe get a goal, it'd be good".

Interesting to note the Bulldogs fans frustration with Tom Boyd. Even when Boyd got a free kick there were Bronx cheers from the whole crowd. One exchange came from behind the hill end where our cheer squad set up - a grassy area where lots of families had set up, so bad language was muted - some guys were savage in their criticism saying Boyd was a hack only in it for the money and he was useless, with Boyd only about 15m away resting forward after battling half a game against Witts on the ball.

Then a smartarse called out "Nah, Tom, it's OK mate, we don't mean it. You're a talented and valuable contributor to our team. If you could just take a mark and maybe get a goal, it'd be good".
Thompson had him covered pretty easily when he played forward.

Wish our midfield would learn how to take advantage of Witts's hit-outs. Clearance difference was staggering. What is Primus coaching? Need some fresh blood at assistant level next year.

Gee how quickly they forget without Boyd they don't win that 2016 flag

Disappointed and Frustrated.
Disappointed to lose a game where once The Bont pulled out we were a real chance too win ,just dont know how.
Frustrated in the non selection of Brodie and Hall ,our midfield (Swallow And Lyons crying out for help)
but if they have a down day we have very few options.
POSITIVES
A for effort tackling and contesting was all there.
Crossley superb debut -really showed something.
Ainsworth best game by a long way.
Ah Chee terrific return showed real dash and quality.
Young guys all showed a bit just need time .
NEGATIVES
General field kicking was again appalling
Work inside the Forward 50 was terrible too many basic errors cost us certain goals
Sometimes I think players need to be a bit selfish and have a shot rather then over finesse.
Harbrow Rosa Joyce lots of possession meant lots of Clangers.More composure needed.
Sam Day for a big man with athleticism has no impact on a game whatsoever.2 strong marks
against ordinary opposition not good enough.Not going to be the footballer we thought.
Jarrod Witts good honest toiler who gives his all but again no real impact on a game.
Touched the ball 80 times but cannot remember many going to our advantage,most of his hit
numerous hit outs hit his feet or went to opposition. Rarely takes a pack mark and never hits the
scoreboard.Can you imagine what Gawn ,Nit nat or Grundy would do to that opposition.
We desperatley need Wright and Crossley to develop quickly to become a better team.
I know I am in the minority here but that's my honest opinion.
Overall gave it our best shot just let down by poor execution.
Travel and injuries makes the next two weeks look pretty ugly.
The bye cannot come quick enough players looked stuffed in last quarter.
Watch it again. Some things you're right about, but others far too harsh.

Harbrow got pinged a lot, but was harshly done by, with the Lin Jong free kick Harbs barely touched him and Jong threw himself backward, while the Dogs player that got Harbs for holding the ball caught him high - there's your winning margin but the umps got it wrong.

Witts played plenty of ball to advantage, but the Dogs changed their tactics, sending Boyd and sometimes Dunkley or nobody. Centre clearances were fairly even and Witts didn't complete in every single tap. Stoppages was where the opponents won a lot of ball and I noticed at the ground that ball ups were very low, and Witts didn't have time to outmuscle his opponents, so effectively the Dogs would have an extra player in the contest.

Sam Day played really well, Rosa and Joyce were hard at it and in the end the Dogs were too good, as you'd from players who won a Grand Final 20 months ago.

I think our midfield was a bit unsure on how to take advantage of the Witts dominance. We have never been in that situation before and were setting up as if he were competing against another ruck. When Witts belted the ball forward we had noone there to get it. Lessons to learn no doubt.

I think our midfield was a bit unsure on how to take advantage of the Witts dominance. We have never been in that situation before and were setting up as if he were competing against another ruck. When Witts belted the ball forward we had noone there to get it. Lessons to learn no doubt.

Agree.
Needed to tap to some on the move with hands off to another player on the move.
Could achieve anything effective despite first hands on ball all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts

- played hard but lacked class
- at least 2-3 times we were 3-1 or 5-2 running inside fwd 50 but stuffed up a golden opportunity.

- Couldn’t win a clear effective centre clearance. Most of witts taps were to Lyons or swallow standing flat footed at the defensive side of the contest who then either got swamped or slammed the ball on the boot for a tumble punt going about 30m fwd.

I thought this was particularly poor from the centre group. Witts not even looking to tap it to any mids on the move.

Did not make any use of this massive advantage

Clearances 52-31 against !

- surprised to see cal ah chee in defence but I thought he was great, not sure exactly who he was playing on but didn’t seem to lose a contest all day, had 9 intercept possessions and used the ball well coming from the back half

- really pleased with ainsworths game. He needs to nail some of these snaps though. Finishing around goal not a strong point just yet.

- crossley competes - thank god
- Ballard looked alright
- scheer- eh, tackled well

Not disappointed but ruing that lack of class outside Martin and ah chee it seems

Don't let this distract you from the fact that Shooter McGavin blew a 4 stroke lead to give Happy Gilmore the championship.

I’m actually quite pissed off about this game now. It’s those we really need to win, in front most of the day, just gotta find a way. No matter how ugly.
A lot wasted opportunities in front of goal down my end of the ground.

It was very heartening as a Gold Coaster to see some people giving us a supporters presence in an obscure place like Ballarat..as a GC based supporter well done everyone that rocked up today

Really enjoyed the trip . Unfortunately we weren't able to win - but even Doggie supporters admired our teams effort .
Great venue - Great atmosphere.
In a first for me - helped out our banner guys. (SUNS and Cochblocked included). A few Doggies supporters also helped out because of the wind.
The guys that cart our banners all round the country really need a big pat on the back...
Special mention to 17er and his mates behind the goals - they flogged really well :D

I was a bit mystified by the coaching and selections against WB. Your playing a young squad up against an injury riddled WB - I would have thought this was a fantastic chance to grab a win and go 4 and 2 whilst playing no home games.

I would have thought a gritty ball winner like Barlow, skilled ball user in Hall and a competent key back in Leslie would probably have been enough experience and class to grab a win rather than blooding some youngsters.

It would appear Barlow and Hall are in the doghouse and it's good to get games into talented youngsters, but a win here would have capped off a great start to the season.

Also no tag on Macrae? With no Bont I would have expected someone to go to Macrae who predictably racked up 40 possies.

I was a bit mystified by the coaching and selections against WB. Your playing a young squad up against an injury riddled WB - I would have thought this was a fantastic chance to grab a win and go 4 and 2 whilst playing no home games.

I would have thought a gritty ball winner like Barlow, skilled ball user in Hall and a competent key back in Leslie would probably have been enough experience and class to grab a win rather than blooding some youngsters.

It would appear Barlow and Hall are in the doghouse and it's good to get games into talented youngsters, but a win here would have capped off a great start to the season.

Also no tag on Macrae? With no Bont I would have expected someone to go to Macrae who predictably racked up 40 possies.

Everyone’s a genius in hindsight.

I would have thought Chamberlain shouldn’t have sold out half of Europe to Adolf and Waved the White Paper declaring “peace in our time”.

Some of your points have merit you just completely lost me with Hall described as a skilled ball user LOL.
No offence friend but Hall is an absolute butcher merchant.
Agree with some of your other points especially Barlow.

Everyone’s a genius in hindsight.

I would have thought Chamberlain shouldn’t have sold out half of Europe to Adolf and Waved the White Paper declaring “peace in our time”.
I would have thought my points would have been something most neutral observers would have thought at the time the teams were announced and either before or after Macrae started collecting a mountain of possessions.

Some of your points have merit you just completely lost me with Hall described as a skilled ball user LOL.
No offence friend but Hall is an absolute butcher merchant.
Agree with some of your other points especially Barlow.
Rather than skilled ball user I should have said a player with a bit of x-factor when his on his game. When he's on fire he perfectly capable of being a difference maker - hence him getting a hard tag in the Freo game.

Rather than skilled ball user I should have said a player with a bit of x-factor when his on his game. When he's on fire he perfectly capable of being a difference maker - hence him getting a hard tag in the Freo game.
Did you see his response to the tag It was embarrassing. He carried on like a sooky 12 yo and never got near it. He is a soft downhill skier who his teammates can't stand.
I agree that playing Sheer Spencer etc in front of Leslie Barlow was strange and IMO incorrect. I agree with your sentiment but Hall is a Team cancer that needs to be cut out.

Barlow injured - did not play either game on weekend - so was not omitted.
Hall in doghouse because of a pitiful performance against Fremantle (5 disposals at 40%). Was allowed to play his 100th against West Coast but is now serving his penalty.
Not sure why Leslie didn't replace May - but Spencer is no mug (100% disposal efficiency 4 intercepts and 8 one percenters yesterday).
Suns were in the game till last 10 minutes - irrespective of what McCrae was doing.
Dew is on record as saying this year is a development year where he is assessing what he has here player wise and coaching wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back