Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barry Davenport

Senior List
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Just recovered from digesting Sundays tragedy. Trying so hard to put a positive spin on things. Hoping the sky hasn't fallen in by tomorrow (looks like it has in Mildura though this arvo). Serious soul searching has revealed something that may perk a few of you up a bit....

2016 - Western Bulldogs get trounced by Geelong Rd 23 (43 - 100)
2017 - Richmond get pole-axed by Adelaide (64 - 140) and by St Kilda (71 - 138)
2018 - West Coast rolled by Kangas (41 - 81) and restricted to 1 goal in a half!!

Pretty sure these teams didn't let a shellacking (or 2) totally derail their season.......in their PREMIERSHIP season.

A week ago, I was pretty upbeat about the growth/development/progress of the Blues this season.

I for one am not letting that nightmare dictate what can still be a positive season. Just a big blip on the 2019 radar.

The season rolls on and I am looking ahead to the remaining 15-odd games of improvement and challenges, and an amazing 2020!!
That's when the show really begins, and I want Bolts to be a part of those brighter days.

I'm really hoping that this doesn't derail our season and our progress. However in those three examples Bulldogs were 9-3 before the game (playing the secon top side), Richmond were 5-0 before the Adelaide (FIRST) game and 9-5 before the St Kilda (8th) game, and West coast were 13-4 before the North (10th) game . The fact is we were 1-5 before a game against the bottom side. '

I have loved watching us play this season (for the most part), however it needs to translate to wins soon, or people will run out of patience completely and I think it's fair enough. I never expected finals, I never expected a grand final, however you can't deny if this continues that there needs to be questions asked.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I'm really hoping that this doesn't derail our season and our progress. However in those three examples Bulldogs were 9-3 before the game (playing the secon top side), Richmond were 5-0 before the Adelaide (FIRST) game and 9-5 before the St Kilda (8th) game, and West coast were 13-4 before the North (10th) game . The fact is we were 1-5 before a game against the bottom side. '

I have loved watching us play this season (for the most part), however it needs to translate to wins soon, or people will run out of patience completely and I think it's fair enough. I never expected finals, I never expected a grand final, however you can't deny if this continues that there needs to be questions asked.
Hmmm questions
What did you expect though........?
I will go out on a limb here and say you expected what we got for 6 weeks. Competetive football with great strides taken.
One week and thats all forgotten?
What exactly does run out of patience mean?

Barry Davenport

Senior List
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Hmmm questions
I will go out on a limb here and say you expected what we got for 6 weeks. Competetive football with great strides taken.

Run out of patience means people, even rational thinking people, will be wanting change.

You’re right, we have got what I expected for the first 6 weeks. However I also expected that these sort of performances should be in the past. We showed everyone that we are competitive and we can match it with teams above us, however we let ourselves down massively on the weekend.

All I am saying is that this would not want to continue. There needs to be a massive response this week and what better team to do it against.

If there is no response this week, where do we sit then? If there is, I will be impressed and satisfied that it was a "blip".

Curnivore

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Brett Rattan, last time we bought a former coach back he became our coach of the century. Im sorry but for me it is time to make the call on Bolton.
Ratts is an assistant at St.kilda and if offered a senior job they would not stand in his way. I reckon he would fire up Murph and simmo might even go again. Time to give Bolts his last handshake. It just hasn't worked.
If we had won the Goldcoast and hawthorn games this wouldnt be in discussion. Im not 100% convinced on Bolts, but I am 100% sure that sacking him six rounds in after obvious improvement is a bad idea.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Run out of patience means people, even rational thinking people, will be wanting change.

You’re right, we have got what I expected for the first 6 weeks. However I also expected that these sort of performances should be in the past. We showed everyone that we are competitive and we can match it with teams above us, however we let ourselves down massively on the weekend.

All I am saying is that this would not want to continue. There needs to be a massive response this week and what better team to do it against.

If there is no response this week, where do we sit then? If there is, I will be impressed and satisfied that it was a "blip".
Good post :thumbsu:
I think we have to lower the expectations to be honest. That is the real problem for us supporters. One win and and it was here we go here we go here we go kind of thinking by half time v Hawthorn. I still think we will improve greatly by seasons end but I can see that there are a lot of factors making it difficult to achieve much before another trade period and pre-season is done. The biggest factor of all which is not discussed is the other teams know what they have to do because we arent easy beats anymore so they lift also. We just have to get over the hump and look out.

Bringbackeddie

Team Captain
Apr 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Good question. I guess it means different things for different people.

For me it means that I just stop watching and listening to the games. I am a lifetime Carlton supporter (although after reading this thread there are plenty who don’t think that means anything because they alone annoint themselves as True supporters). The challenge for supporters who lived through the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s is that we come from a perspective of unquestionable expectation of success. It’s just the way things used to be - CFC were always the overachievers and that is the way we expected it to be forevermore.

The reality trip that the new millennium delivered was fairly hard to accept, and like all Carlton supporters I have had to get used to a new way of doing things. We can’t just buy players to fill gaps like we used to. It takes time to accept a new way (ground zero obliteration to then rebuild the entire playing list with draft picks and unproven players). But bregrudgingly (through necessity) old guys like me are on board and listening to those leading the way.

Regardless, some things are hardwired for me. I do not support the idea of ‘everyone gets a prize’ and Mickey Mouse stamps for effort. Not showing up with the intent to obliterate the opposition (last Sunday(?)) is not acceptable. If our young list (and coaching staff for that matter) lacks intent, desire and the mongrel required to do whatever is required to get the job done then p..s them off and get the right young list (and coaching staff).

To save some people the effort of replying to my post: yes, I am old. Yes, I have contributed very few posts to your board. Yes, my views are too simplistic.

Whatever.

Curnivore

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Good post :thumbsu:
I think we have to lower the expectations to be honest. That is the real problem for us supporters. One win and and it was here we go here we go here we go kind of thinking by half time v Hawthorn. I still think we will improve greatly by seasons end but I can see that there are a lot of factors making it difficult to achieve much before another trade period and pre-season is done. The biggest factor of all which is not discussed is the other teams know what they have to do because we arent easy beats anymore so they lift also. We just have to get over the hump and look out.
I disagree on lowering our expectations. We have lost two games by a matter of seconds and had opportunities in all bar North. We need to learn to win. What we need to do as a supporter base on Bigfooty is to stop screaming 'sack the coach' after every loss, or defend him blindly.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I disagree on lowering our expectations. We have lost two games by a matter of seconds and had opportunities in all bar North. We need to learn to win. What we need to do as a supporter base on Bigfooty is to stop screaming 'sack the coach' after every loss, or defend him blindly.
Well said yes. My choice of words wasn't quite right but the gist of it is the same.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Well said yes. My choice of words wasn't quite right but the gist of it is the same.
I guess it depends on where those expectations are, if it’s to win enough games to play finals then they better start lowering them real quick or the disappointment will be crushing.

If it’s to win 5-6-7 games then yes I think those expectations are reasonable although even with that amount of wins for our side a lot has to go right re injuries, draw, form of oppo when we play them, a lot goes into how a season pans out which is why the club, especially now, is loath to put a number on it for a pass mark.

We have only just got the list into a semblance of what we need and are still missing vital pieces, not least of which is experience at the top level.

Unfortunately for us, and this has been the case since 2001, we don’t have enough core senior players with winning experience to pass on to the new guys which has hindered our growth since that time, we can get half way there but that’s about it.

Hopefully we show enough this year to attract some decent mature talent ala Brisbane last year, that will help us take that next step.

Really that should have been last year for us but we got absolutely slammed with injuries which derailed our development and growth, so fingers crossed we can deliver enough this year to attract some talent, but last year just set us back a whole 12 months which is a long time in footy.

But the worst thing we could do is to change course at this stage by changing the coach who although hasn’t delivered the wins has at least taught the players to keep fighting and not drop there bundles, last week being the exception. Plus we have the 2 best young leaders in the competition in Cripps and Doc which is a damn good start.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

For me it means that I just stop watching and listening to the games. I am a lifetime Carlton supporter (although after reading this thread there are plenty who don’t think that means anything because they alone annoint themselves as True supporters). The challenge for supporters who lived through the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s is that we come from a perspective of unquestionable expectation of success. It’s just the way things used to be - CFC were always the overachievers and that is the way we expected it to be forevermore.

Ain’t that the truth. Used to win a flag every 4 years over that period. Now we haven’t won one in 22 years. Frustrating stuff

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It's similar to Moody Blue in that when he plumbs the depths of despair he reeeeally gets low. It's not all black, it's the inside of a black hole.

In terms of what he's saying, I actually don't necessarily disagree too much. Our trading - as much as we needed players in cheaply to replace those delisted - needed to be better to buttress the present against the current youth and lack of size in our draftees, as SOS has not gone for the big bodied immediate impact players with his midfielders. It's left us vulnerable against sides that do have big bodied mids - North, St Kilda, Sydney, Port - in the genuine short to medium term.

It almost gives me heart, really. If the mistakes are plain to see, then you can actively give him a pass/fail mark on each area. Our amount of failed players is about on par, despite almost all our draftees seeming to come on, due to the amount of players discarded who were not up to it.

A couple of key players out and Cripps tagged out of the game and we were humiliated by a bottom 4 team. A repeat of that performance against Geelong and GWS and we talking cricket scores. As I have said before expect to have 20-25% of your list unavailable at any given time. It comes down to depth, and this is where we are struggling. We have a long way to go b/c in the next 2 years we are going to lose close to 900 games of experience when the veterans retire. Very hard to replace that type of experience. It is pointless trying to pretend everything is going to be rosy because we have a couple of talented kids. Cripps, Walsh, Petrevski-Seeton, McKay, McGovern, Weitering, Fisher, & Kreuzer are locked in. We lose 3 for a game, and then we are exposed. The rest need to step up including Curnow. I can see the potential and skill, but yet to see consistency.

A couple of key players out and Cripps tagged out of the game and we were humiliated by a bottom 4 team. A repeat of that performance against Geelong and GWS and we talking cricket scores. As I have said before expect to have 20-25% of your list unavailable at any given time. It comes down to depth, and this is where we are struggling. We have a long way to go b/c in the next 2 years we are going to lose close to 900 games of experience when the veterans retire. Very hard to replace that type of experience. It is pointless trying to pretend everything is going to be rosy because we have a couple of talented kids. Cripps, Walsh, Petrevski-Seeton, McKay, McGovern, Weitering, Fisher, & Kreuzer are locked in. We lose 3 for a game, and then we are exposed. The rest need to step up including Curnow. I can see the potential and skill, but yet to see consistency.
just need to look at a poster's sig to understand a lot about their general outlook on things......

The reality trip that the new millennium delivered was fairly hard to accept, and like all Carlton supporters I have had to get used to a new way of doing things. We can’t just buy players to fill gaps like we used to. It takes time to accept a new way (ground zero obliteration to then rebuild the entire playing list with draft picks and unproven players). But bregrudgingly (through necessity) old guys like me are on board and listening to those leading the way.

Regardless, some things are hardwired for me. I do not support the idea of ‘everyone gets a prize’ and Mickey Mouse stamps for effort. Not showing up with the intent to obliterate the opposition (last Sunday(?)) is not acceptable. If our young list (and coaching staff for that matter) lacks intent, desire and the mongrel required to do whatever is required to get the job done then p..s them off and get the right young list (and coaching staff).

To save some people the effort of replying to my post: yes, I am old. Yes, I have contributed very few posts to your board. Yes, my views are too simplistic.

Whatever.
seriously handy 8th post right there................for an old campaigner............

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Hmmm questions
Your questions hit the nail on its head.

Much of the division amongst supporters, concerning the coach, has been due to difference of opinion as to when/whether expectation should transition; from development to wins. Think this game represented a turning point in expectation moving forward.

This week, players weren't shielded, by club or coach, from public criticism. Quite a few fronted the media and accepted responsibility; in that respect its fair to say it was the loss needed to transition from growth to expected wins.

Think its also fair to say that Bolt's has been successful in development phase. However, moving forward he'll be judged on wins.

Back