Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And that is basically all I said.
I said that if we had beaten hawthorn everyone would be shaking Boltons hand and saying I knew he could do it. Glad he proved me wrong. Therefore it is fundamentally only about wins and losses.
So you think if we'd won against the hawks all the doubts of anybody in particular would have suddenly disappeared ?
There have been many views I've seen on here of the way we structure up with a tall backline and now a tall forwardline just to name a couple you think those concerns are just disappearing off the back of one win ?
We have had some really good wins along the way through this rebuild albeit few and far between .

Need to get rid of a a few players still, Levi has been at the club oh so long and still can't kick or chase.

Plowman well what more needs to be said? Not sure what to make of him laughing, some people react differently to pressure etc, but he makes the same errors every game every year, nothing is changing.

Phillips yeah, nah, Lobbe yeah nah.

We don't have any ruck options, but yet we are content with hacks in the rucks.

Kruz should have traded him a while ago, always injured.

Murphy not a leader and has never been, should have got rid of him when we had the chance, not he is contracted for another 2 years?

The sad thing is that Murphy, Kruzer, Gibbs never became the players we wanted, they were never elite, all they were is decent to good.

Do we have a plan B?

We keep saying we are young, yes we are young but its been close to a 100 games and yet we keep making the same mistakes we have been making for 18 years. We have so many high draft picks and nothing is changing or has changed.
Is this a bona fide post? Do you mean all of this?

I'm struggling to believe that you've posted this days after the match has ended. Penned it on the day of the loss and submitted it today, perhaps, but I do not believe you're this upset this deep into the week. Either that, or you're trolling.

Is what a lot of folks questioning his tenure right now would have been saying if we beat those filthy hawks.
Apologies I took that the wrong way.

I just don’t agree that winning that game in the context of how the whole game played out & what has occurred before and after would all of a sudden
allay all concerns. It would have helped his cause though. It’s not black or white and it’s not just based on one or two wins or one or two losses.

Of course if he had won 8 out of the last 10 or even 5 then I’d be less inclined to have my doubts because whatever is going on would seem to be working but that’s not the situation. It’s only natural that everything comes under more scrutiny when you’re not winning and/or playing well.

I'm struggling to believe that you've posted this days after the match has ended. Penned it on the day of the loss and submitted it today, perhaps, but I do not believe you're this upset this deep into the week. Either that, or you're trolling.
don't waste your time - wardrobe door left open again......

So you think if we'd won against the hawks all the doubts of anybody in particular would have suddenly disappeared ?
There have been many views I've seen on here of the way we structure up with a tall backline and now a tall forwardline just to name a couple you think those concerns are just disappearing off the back of one win ?
We have had some really good wins along the way through this rebuild albeit few and far between .
Bloody oath I do. Its that simple no matter which way you carve it. But the complainers will always complain so in that sense the answer is no also.

As to the tall aspect. Its bunkum. We have great talent with long legs thats all. What we do lack much of the time is a bit of speed to go with that spine. Dow will come on and is quick. Fish needs to use his pace as well as his dance. Polson is out but was quick.
The great sides of history and today are great because they are stocked with good big men and fast little men. Flash in the pan sides can get by with an imbalance based on mostly speed. It doesnt last.

Bloody oath I do. Its that simple no matter which way you carve it. But the complainers will always complain so in that sense the answer is no also.

As to the tall aspect. Its bunkum. We have great talent with long legs thats all. What we do lack much of the time is a bit of speed to go with that spine. Dow will come on and is quick. Fish needs to use his pace as well as his dance. Polson is out but was quick.
The great sides of history and today are great because they are stocked with good big men and fast little men. Flash in the pan sides can get by with an imbalance based on mostly speed. It doesnt last.
Regarding the highlighted part of my post in which you have reinforced your view someone can put their doubts out there but still have faith in the process or rebuild .

If one is balanced in their views the scales should not tip either way after 1 win or loss .
I agree the haters will hate no matter what but it seems your views are throwing a blanket over anybody that has any doubts which imo is quite condescending .

Last edited:
Apologies I took that the wrong way.

I just don’t agree that winning that game in the context of how the whole game played out & what has occurred before and after would all of a sudden
allay all concerns. It would have helped his cause though. It’s not black or white and it’s not just based on one or two wins or one or two losses.

Of course if he had won 8 out of the last 10 or even 5 then I’d be less inclined to have my doubts because whatever is going on would seem to be working but that’s not the situation. It’s only natural that everything comes under more scrutiny when you’re not winning and/or playing well.
All good and thanks :)

The way I look at it is this. I dont care who is the coach. I have no favouritism for Bolts at all.
I only support the team and who is coaching it means very little.
However I still don't feel it's fair to judge Bolton yet in this unique scenario. The only reality is that he hasn't had the cattle but has coached as if he has them. To me that takes guts because it will always make him look bad at times. He has put the club ahead of his career and coached for its growth and eventual sucess.

Regarding the highlighted part of my post in which you have reinforced your view someone can put their doubts out there but still have faith in the process or rebuild .

If one is balanced in their views 1 win should not tip the scales either way after 1 loss .
I agree the haters will hate no matter what but it seems your views are throwing a blanket over anybody that has any doubts which imo is quite condescending .
Nope. Everyone is entitled to their view.

The way I look at it is this. I dont care who is the coach. I have no favouritism for Bolts at all.
However I still don't feel it's fair to judge Bolton yet in this unique scenario. The only reality is that he hasn't had the cattle but has coached as if he has them. To me that takes guts because it will always make him look bad at times. He has put the club ahead of his career and coached for its growth and eventual sucess.

Fair enough and I agree that he has taken on a huge task so should have always been given the leeway which he has been given imo. This doesn’t mean he should be immune to criticism though. It also doesn’t mean we should call for his sacking prematurely.

My original post to which you replied was just highlighting that it should be ok to voice concerns with the coaching without being lumped into some sort of Lynch mob that wants him sacked immediately.

All good.

It's obvious, you want to read his match day comments. From another planet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough and I agree that he has taken on a huge task so should have always been given the leeway which he has been given imo. This doesn’t mean he should be immune to criticism though. It also doesn’t mean we should call for his sacking prematurely.

My original post to which you replied was just highlighting that it should be ok to voice concerns with the coaching without being lumped into some sort of Lynch mob that wants him sacked immediately.

All good.
I get this about the lumping. It wasnt intended that way. I dont play the man I just look at the words. Very often my quoting someone isn't just about that one post its about the general tone of the thread. Also I have found that if one wants a discussion a quote is almost mandatory and isolated posts no matter how well written get lost in the noise. When all said and done this is a word place. So without any further ado, all things considered, without a shadow of a doubt and as much as I could go on and on and on....thats my last word, maybe.......;)

This post is outstanding and wonderfully put:thumbsu: BRAVO

So you think expecting more than 5 or 6 wins is silly yet condemn those that expected better against last place.
What relevance do you place on 'last on the ladder' (now?)

It's a snapshot in time and, realistically, only has relevance at the end of the season.

Any team can beat any team on their day.

You expect that from one of the competitions better sides, not a complete domination from the word go from the side last on the ladder.

Well, I'd expect hubris from supporters of one of the competition's better sides, not from those supporting the team last on the ladder. ;)

In all seriousness, see above comment and I get that you were talking more about your team's effort etc.

North in my view is an average/poor team, not a top 8 team.

You might be right, but on our day, we're capable of beating top 8 teams. Assuming, of course, that we can recapture some of our better form from last year in which we did just that, including the eventual premiers. It's by no means guaranteed to happen, but last weekend's game showed some spirit and some synergy we've been missing, along with some key ins since the start of the season.

My point, in response to this, admittedly, random selection of quoted posters, is that it's fraught with danger to generalise about the quality of opposition teams when assessing results.

Good post :thumbsu:
I think we have to lower the expectations to be honest. That is the real problem for us supporters. One win and and it was here we go here we go here we go kind of thinking by half time v Hawthorn. I still think we will improve greatly by seasons end but I can see that there are a lot of factors making it difficult to achieve much before another trade period and pre-season is done. The biggest factor of all which is not discussed is the other teams know what they have to do because we arent easy beats anymore so they lift also. We just have to get over the hump and look out.

For reference, I was rapt with the weekends game. Apart from the last 7 minutes I loved the response. Happy it was a blip. I was concerned it was a mental issue as they hadn’t no reason to turn up thinking it was just going to happen.

For reference, I was rapt with the weekends game. Apart from the last 7 minutes I loved the response. Happy it was a blip. I was concerned it was a mental issue as they hadn’t no reason to turn up thinking it was just going to happen.
Not a mental issue it seems but a lesson that needed to be learned and was. Great stuff. Next lesson is the step over toe hold with full nelson and forearm smash..

Back