Unofficial Preview Rd 8 2019 v Essendon: Colyer-Clarke Cup (Saturday 7.25 AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Sorry guys, last week I went on the Richmond podcast and was super upbeat about how much we were going to smash Richmond by, how Lynch was going to be Pearce's puppet, and our forward line were going to kick all the goals.

And well... you all saw how that turned out. So this week I'm going for a different tactic.

Last time they met:

This weekend we're playing Essendon at the worst ground with the best name, Marvel Stadium. Last time we played Essendon was at the same ground, but with a worse name, and we lost. Will we turn that form around? Maybe... maybe not.

Since that last game we swapped a couple of players over. Freo picked up Travis Colyer, best known for being banned for drug cheating, and like most other players who stop taking PEDs, his form has never been the same. Essendon stole superstar ruckman Zac Clarke, who famously helped Freo into their first ever grand final, before a knee injury cruelly cut short his time in purple and had nothing to do with his inability to recover or play good footy.

Team's form:

Last week Essendon apparently played one of the best games ever in the history of the AFL, but were absolutely robbed by a cheating Sydney player climbing a goal post.

Freo played like the entire team were ravaged by the flu after having a week long bender at the Hip-E Club. Freo's game wasn't without controversy either with notorious thug Nathan Fyfe striking every single Richmond player he could get his elbow on. Lucky he's a Brownlow medalist, otherwise he might have missed this week's game (and certainly wasn't just lucky that Ablett did the same thing in the same round). Our forward line were terrible, but they're all untalented hacks like Jesse Hogan, so what did we expect really?

Who's in and out?

The one good thing about Freo's game last week is that there were no injuries. Blakely might come in if the selection committee didn't hate the fans and keep picking the same players every week even if they're terrible. Colyer turned the ball over about a hundred times last week so he'll probably stay in the side. We might drop all of the young kids because none of them are any good and are going to leave us at the end of the year anyway.

Essendon have lost the Brownlow favourite Devon Smith, but luckily they have all the talented kids in Australia to replace him. Goal-kicking prodigy Joe Daniher is available this week, so if you saw what our backline did last week vs no good forwards, imagine how much they're going to get pantsed this week!

Prediction:
Fyfe to keep sniping, Cerra to force a trade mid-game to a Vic side, Daniher to top the Coleman.

Essendon by like 350 points or something.

you'll be able to spot Allikat in the crowd this Saturday. she'll be the one wearing the sandwich board that says 'THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH' on it.

we will win because we're not expected to win but the game will be as bleak as a Saturday night in Docklands, so us by 5 points

Sorry guys, last week I went on the Richmond podcast and was super upbeat about how much we were going to smash Richmond by, how Lynch was going to be Pearce's puppet, and our forward line were going to kick all the goals.

And well... you all saw how that turned out. So this week I'm going for a different tactic.

Last time they met:

This weekend we're playing Essendon at the worst ground with the best name, Marvel Stadium. Last time we played Essendon was at the same ground, but with a worse name, and we lost. Will we turn that form around? Maybe... maybe not.

Since that last game we swapped a couple of players over. Freo picked up Travis Colyer, best known for being banned for drug cheating, and like most other players who stop taking PEDs, his form has never been the same. Essendon stole superstar ruckman Zac Clarke, who famously helped Freo into their first ever grand final, before a knee injury cruelly cut short his time in purple and had nothing to do with his inability to recover or play good footy.

Team's form:

Last week Essendon apparently played one of the best games ever in the history of the AFL, but were absolutely robbed by a cheating Sydney player climbing a goal post.

Freo played like the entire team were ravaged by the flu after having a week long bender at the Hip-E Club. Freo's game wasn't without controversy either with notorious thug Nathan Fyfe striking every single Richmond player he could get his elbow on. Lucky he's a Brownlow medalist, otherwise he might have missed this week's game (and certainly wasn't just lucky that Ablett did the same thing in the same round). Our forward line were terrible, but they're all untalented hacks like Jesse Hogan, so what did we expect really?

Who's in and out?

The one good thing about Freo's game last week is that there were no injuries. Blakely might come in if the selection committee didn't hate the fans and keep picking the same players every week even if they're terrible. Colyer turned the ball over about a hundred times last week so he'll probably stay in the side. We might drop all of the young kids because none of them are any good and are going to leave us at the end of the year anyway.

Essendon have lost the Brownlow favourite Devon Smith, but luckily they have all the talented kids in Australia to replace him. Goal-kicking prodigy Joe Daniher is available this week, so if you saw what our backline did last week vs no good forwards, imagine how much they're going to get pantsed this week!

Prediction:
Fyfe to keep sniping, Cerra to force a trade mid-game to a Vic side, Daniher to top the Coleman.

Essendon by like 350 points or something.

I like this preview

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be honest, I’m still in shell shock after Sunday’s game. Haven’t been following up with afl news that closely. But I heard Sydney stumbled upon some winning strategy against the bombers last week. I’ll say we should just adopt what they are doing.

IMG_4282.JPG

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good time to be playing Essendon with Smith and Fantasia our and Daniher potentially coming back after being managed. Speed has killed us this season and they’re one of the beet moving the ball through the corridor off half back.

At least we’ll get another good close up look at our number 1 target, Dyson Heppell.

Freo by 11 points.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Good time to be playing Essendon with Smith and Fantasia our and Daniher potentially coming back after being managed. Speed has killed us this season and they’re one of the beet moving the ball through the corridor off half back.

At least we’ll get another good close up look at our number 1 target, Dyson Heppell.

Freo by 11 points.
I firmly believe that Daniher makes them a worse team. He becomes like their Pavlich, all the other players kick straight to him, except that he misses the goals regularly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Round 9 before there is a game in Vic, why would AFL HQ want me to hate them as much as the taxman? Well, the taxman and a broken ice machine when it's time for a G&T, well, that and all things French, or limp cucumber in a cucumber sandwich, or...

Aww come on, surely it's the Bradley-Clarke-Colyer-Johnson-McPhee-Soloman cup?
nah it's the Bradley-Clarke-Colyer-Johnson-McPhee-Solomon-Gumbleton-Delaney-Kickett-Ridley-Harvey-Dean Rioli* cup

*Dean came from Souths so he counts

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
My most endearing Essendon v Freo memory is attending a game at at the MCG in I think '98. Rex Hunt described it as 'the worst game he's ever seen, both teams seemed to be trying to lose'. It's also the game where, as a poor student, I forked out $6 or something on hot chips only to pour sugar on them instead of salt. FYI, there's no saving that situation.
So I'm hoping this game can at least provide a better spectacle than that.
Must win if we're to make the finals.
As always I'm hopeful rather than confident.
Essendon by a little or us by 4 goals.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m feeling good about this one. I’m sure the Bombers are fired up and in good spirits but I just loved the look of that beach session that we did yesterday. A change of scenery and routine will freshen the boys up mentally and there’s nothing like a dip in the ocean for reviving your body and soul.

Us by 14 pts.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Before the season started I was a bit worried about not seeing the anchors until rd 9 season could be over
After the suns loss my worries deepen
The GWS win turn that around great win on the road
I could be in for some great games in Melbourne
Last weeks performance against the tigers snapped me into reality
Saturday is on a knifes edge either
Heading home on the train feeling sick seeing 2019 slowly burn or grinning from ear to ear having witnessed one of those special wins!
Im hoping the latter! Freo 18pts

Last edited:

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
2 soft teams going at it, and the slightly harder one to prevail.
Bummers by 8 points, and Fyfe to again get 30 +
Unfortunately he won't have many mates, again again again!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back