• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
It hurts that we couldn't close it out, but this game just reinforced that we are not far off it all coming together.

Mark my words, 2020 is going start being fun. And 2021 onwards is going to be awesome.

That is the exact timing I been expecting too. I am expecting to break into the top 8 next season and 2021 we virtually either ready to contend or not far off.
As long as club stays the course and does not listen to nufties, the good times are coming.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
If Damian has honestly made that comment, he clearly has a deep seeded hatred for Carlton.
He needs to be taken around the back and be bitch slapped. I hate the guy.
Has got one of those faces, only a mother could love.
I reckon he was beaten up as a kid by Carlton supporters. Rant over.....
He has decided Bolton needs to be sacked and will leave no stone unturned until he makes it so, after all he has the power to decide.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
It's not an anti-Carlton vendetta. He's just poking the hornet's nest to stir up drama.

It what he does. Don't take it personally.

I agree. Barett I find harmless. He is a journalist that is that first and his football knowledge is really basic so his football opinions would never really listen to but if it is an AFL story about headquarters he is someone usually well up on the grapevine.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Well, I smiled a lot while watching the game. I didn’t do that once in the North game. I think post bye round we will win more of those than lose. Cunners is our best kick for goal, becoming one of my favourite players actually.
Yeah Cunners was one of the best for sure, has built up his core strength so he can now stand up in tackles and break them, like his mate Jsos, think we need to start seeing more of Cunners at centre bounces than we have because of the aforementioned core strength around the ball, an even split with him and Fish would be a good balance and sps as well.
A little bit of rob Peter to pay Paul but I think the upside would be worth it with his 4th year body.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree. Barett I find harmless. He is a journalist that is that first and his football knowledge is really basic so his football opinions would never really listen to but if it is an AFL story about headquarters he is someone usually well up on the grapevine.
I agree. He just thinks he knows more than he does. Hence why I called him Damian Ego Barrett. I think it suits him. My only worry is that he stirs up too much in the media circles around Bolton’s record, it puts pressure on our board and they can’t hold their nerve to give him enough time to prove he’s a good coach with the talent at the right age to do so.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
10 players in the 18-21 bracket to 2, makes a big difference in close games.

The Pies had players like Treloar and Hoskin-Elliott do nothing for 3/4's and then have 25 touches between them in the last, our blokes just couldn't go all day at that intensity.
This happens so often to us where a player will do sfa all day and then bob up in the last to kick 2-3 goals, need to really focus in on this point in last qtrs and make sure we keep them down for the whole game, I actually picked that WHE would stand up late for that exact reason, happens to often imo.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree. He just thinks he knows more than he does. Hence why I called him Damian Ego Barrett. I think it suits him. My only worry is that he stirs up too much in the media circles around Bolton’s record, it puts pressure on our board and they can’t hold their nerve to give him enough time to prove he’s a good coach with the talent at the right age to do so.
My issue is that he constantly states Bolton won't be coach next year, and given he is the reporter for the AFL, on 9 and on triple MMM he has the ability to say something enough for it to be started to be accepted in the media. And we all saw what happened to Ratten when that happened.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Disagree, Levi is the insurance as we've seen by the fact that he is actually getting games and, at this stage, apparently he is seen as a much better policy than Goddard. It matters not that he is a ten year veteran or a two year rookie and this flawed footballer has escaped the cut (against the wishes of many on here) for the last 3 plus years.

At the end of this season some of these players may have caught, or overtaken, him or we may even bring in player/s that have more upside. I'd propose that it is only then that his place on our list will be assessed by far more knowledgeable people than those on this board.

I think it's a bit early in the season to be composing epitaphs for anyone on our list.
One word gets Levi the nod over all others mentioned, and a word our coach loves. Versatility

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just watched replay of the game.
The effort was there we ran out of legs with 5 mins to go. Umpires also gifted them 3 goals by missed frees to us and gave the filth all the momentum but overall the boys really did play well. Our skill level and decision making needs to improve but that will come with game experience and a few older players coming back to settle the nerves of the younger guys.
Feel sorry for Cripps he looked personally hurt after the game.
If we keep that effort for the rest of the year we will beat teams around us and scare a couple above. GO BLUES!
Cripps said it all “* this s**t”

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins

Barrett is a very negative journo. Once we sort things out, win some games, extend Bolton, he won't be writing puff-pieces about how "Carlton stuck fat" and "made it through a tough time", he'll be throwing rocks at Brad Scott or Simon Goodwin or Don Pyke or whoever is struggling. It's just who and what he is.

Blues_fest

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Agree.

Changing coach now would be such a killer to our growth. I think other teams and supporters can see our potential and are pushing any agenda to try disrupt us.

Nobody wants us back on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.

Changing coach now would be such a killer to our growth. I think other teams and supporters can see our potential and are pushing any agenda to try disrupt us.

Nobody wants us back on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do..........pretty sure..........

CFC18

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I re-watched the final 10 minutes. With just over 6 minutes to go there is a throw in near our forward 50. There is no doubt we were then shafted with a run of decision to gift the Pies a goal. Free kick in the ruck contest, soft 50m, clear hold on Plowman, the ball touched, and then even another free kick in the centre to give them the clearance. It was really disappointing.

However it obviously impacted how I saw out the game the first time around, because apart from that we simply just lost it ourselves from that point. Yes there could have been a few frees in our defensive 50 but they too would have been soft.

The commentators called it - we lost our structure and went too defensive. The Pies had about 5 players waiting outside the forward 50 and just kept it in their attacking half. Even discounting the above goal, giving up a further 4 goals in the final 5 minutes was really poor, and highlighted the huge gap between the teams. The positive though is this can largely be attributed to a lack of composure - once this improves, we'll maintain our structure and push them to the very end.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Good effort, in the end we fumbled more, missed more handballs and made a few more mistakes and this was the difference.

Cripps - Was super good, looked like a brownlow medalist out there.

Murphy - He was better today, he used it better, his running efforts were again good. Took a little more contact this week.

Ed Curnow - I liked his game, thought he really put in a big effort playing a fair bit on the wing.

Marchbank - Was our best early, kicked the ball a lot better, took some nice marks apart from one he dropped after a big effort to get there. Gotta get to holding those.

Cuningham - Spent a fair bit of time in the center and he was decent. Such a nice kick for goal, he really fills that forward/mid role in the team nicely. Keen to see him get a run at it and develop.

SPS - Handy game, used it well, still needs time for his body to keep maturing so add that hardness that you need to have to be a good AFL player and mid.

Thomas - We're very lucky to have him, he was excellent, his efforts were really good and his experience back there is so valuable. If our whole team were as hard at the contest and committed with effort as he is Collingwood would have never been in it.

Gibbons - First class for effort, not the best user but effort was there. I like that he has a go.

Kreuzer - Played well, beaten by a better player but he gave us plenty.

Walsh - Wasn't his best game but he's clean and that's always a bonus.

Dow - He was ok, certainly a tough role as an inside mid in your second season. Goal kicking is terrible, you shouldn't miss those.

McGovern - He was excellent. such a beautiful kick for goal but he's not fit. Did get out run a few times but it will come.

C Curnow - Better game, liked him playing up the field at times, was more like what we have seen from him last season.

Casboult - Was interesting to see him line up on Reid at center half back but it was a good matchup, Casboult was good. Mostly good defensive structure and defensive game plan helped.

Setterfield - He's ok but he's off the pace, he's got to get quicker with his hands, takes him a long time to get the ball from the ground to a teammate. Gets beaten to the footy in general play. Will be a better player when he builds his running up but there's a lot for him to work on.

Williamson - I liked his game, he's starting to build some form and get back into this level of footy. His kicking is so valuable, saw him take us into the center square from half back, we need players who can do that. His attack on the contest is nice, he's a hard player.

Plowman - Played fullback and was under a lot of pressure as they tried hard to isolate him but he was good, it took a good kick and space to beat him.

Silvagni - He was ok, he's building into that medium forward role alright but he's frustratingly not holding as many overhead marks as he should be.

Fisher - I thought he was ok, quick to get the loose ball and gather from the ground which is good, certainly an improving player.

Stocker - Really looked like an AFL player this game, a raw one but he looked good. Needs to be left in the team, needs to get games into him. He's physical and he can move and he attacks the footy. Skills look good.

Weitering - Was a real meh game for mine, saw a few things which validated the criticism he copped last season of being "soft". A few times, one in particular he had a straight run at the footy, was going to get there first and did but he slowed down and he stepped to avoid contact and it cased a costly fumble. I just felt when he needed to make hard contact on a few occasion he avoided it and it was costly. You would not see this from a Thomas Cripps or Simpson, if anything they would accelerate into the contact and hit the player hard. The other occasion was when there was a stoppage just outside defensive 50 and Weitering came on the field but was only running at 80% to get to defence, his spot should have been in front of the full forward but he was lazy and didn't make it and it left a hole for Plowman's man to lead into and they got a goal at a really crucial time late in the game. Weitering was otherwise good, his skills, smarts and fitness is where his good footy is coming from but some urgency and some physicality is what is missing and what will hold him back from the top players. It's what's made Liam Jones, he hit's bodies and he hits them hard. Needs to get rougher and hit harder, that's the missing puzzle of his game.

McKay - He's just not positioning well for my liking, he's positioning too close and not allowing himself to lead up hard and have a jump at it and he's getting wrestled out of it too much. I want to see him positioning closer to goal at all times so he can really get a good lead in but in saying that, 2 goals is ok.

One of the areas we need to tidy up is our physicality, we're not a physical side, we have a few players who are and I know we are young but we need to hit a little harder and really find that high intensity and go in hard. I wouldn't say we are a soft side but we certainly need to develop a physical edge, I don't think we are good at drawing frees because we just lack that super good attack on the contest. It was a better effort but it's still not where it needs to be to be winning these games.

We have an unusually tall forward line structure but we structure up forward of the ball like a all the other AFL teams do where everyone is one kick away. It's not going to work for us with our tall marking options we need to spread our players forward of the ball a bit deeper.

Any forward run we get from stoppages is wasted because the players forward of the ball are too close.

Our forwards don't really lead up enough if it comes out quickly from a stoppage because they are so close.
We need to do something different there is we are going to structure up different.

Back