• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Why make huge calls in times of need
Our setup right now is not geared for finals,it is a good list,however our progress has to be closely monitored...the breakout has been late,and perhaps not rushed and that suggests sustained attack down the track and further list building...eg.Kennedy or Fisher may be good mid depth,we require an elite mid NOW,that we dont have,and i am aware of Walsh
I am assuming re resign Cripps ?
We will require another Eddie Betts type small forward,Eventually a new ruck,Doc will be back but Simmo has to be replaced and so on..
Bolton will have to take the bull by the horns at some stage and play attacking ball,his approach may well change down the track as well as some of the assistant coaches...it must be said tho the list is good and coaches are a big step up
But still no breakout...instead of 2020 why not predict the second half of this season?......do you think we can make 16 th with say 6 wins?
This list should manage 6 wins .......so lets see Bolton earn his pay packet....which would be considerable ?
Play attacking ball, last 4 games the blues have scored, 101, 88, 62 and 87, that is pretty attacking.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder if the umpires might provide feedback, if required. What were our guys doing wrong that they kept getting pinged for, and what was working so well for the opposition that they only conceded 8 frees for the entire game?
To get some kind of sound, rule-based explanation might help hose down any controversy.
If there IS no reasonable explanation then it's a concern, because then you're left to conclude that the umpires were just a little one-eyed.
Or how Plowman can get a fractured cheek bone without getting a free.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
Play attacking ball, last 4 games the blues have scored, 101, 88, 62 and 87, that is pretty attacking.
yes thats ok..however we have to look at it through oppositions eyes,and most of them can manage that plus a bit...
-tighten up back 6 even more[MarchB A+ with a few more games,Jones good....we got good stuff]
-Forwards need time but its A grade on paper......will cause havok......:thumbsu:
-Mids is where we losing it.....Cripps Elite now...maybe Samo can really step it up[he can],or Ed back in or Murph,maybe unwise to hammer Walsh all season as 18 yr old. Plus the other drafts or returns. etc

Last edited:

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah Cunners was one of the best for sure, has built up his core strength so he can now stand up in tackles and break them, like his mate Jsos, think we need to start seeing more of Cunners at centre bounces than we have because of the aforementioned core strength around the ball, an even split with him and Fish would be a good balance and sps as well.
A little bit of rob Peter to pay Paul but I think the upside would be worth it with his 4th year body.
Been a long time since I've been as comfortable with any of our team having set shots as mitch or cuners. It's a nice feeling.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
yes thats ok..however we have to look at it through oppositions eyes,and most of them can manage that plus a bit...
-tighten up back 6 even more[MarchB A+ with a few more games,Jones good....we got good stuff]
-Forwards need time but its A grade on paper......will cause havok......:thumbsu:
-Mids is where we losing it.....Cripps Elite now...maybe Samo can really step it up[he can],or Ed back in or Murph,maybe unwise to hammer Walsh all season as 18 yr old. Plus the other drafts or returns. etc
Only 4 sides in the comp are averaging more than 85 points, the blues have bettered that in 3 of the last 4

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones Weitering Marchbank = best 22
Goddard = Insurance
Macreadie B.Silvagni = developing

McKay McGovern Curnow J.Silvagni = best 22
Kerr = developing

Kreuzer = best 22
Phillips Lobbe = insurance (need to be replaced)
DeKonning = developing

Casboult is 29yo ?
Thanks and goodbye.
Not a hope. No no no. He’s proven thus far this year he’s a solid backup across a number of roles. He’s fitter than he’s ever been. I’ll bet you a 3 month bigfooty suspension he doesn’t get delisted.

koutamarto

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
just rewatched the game. I know people say he gets all the dirty jobs and he had tough match ups etc. I agree with all of this, but I reckon 75% of the pies scores went through plowman. He is a defender. He is allowed to win contests and beat his man, even if it is an unfavorable match up. At the end of the day thats his job. From the outside looking in he seems a liability defensively. Add that to his skills and inability to stick a tack I dont get the obsession!

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Only 4 sides in the comp are averaging more than 85 points, the blues have bettered that in 3 of the last 4
Gotta say that despite all teeth gnashing early in the season our forward line is in good knick. I think the need for a small forward and the price that we should pay for one has been exaggerated. We will be tall but as our midfield matures our forward line will scare the hell out of some teams.

koutamarto

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Gotta say that despite all teeth gnashing early in the season our forward line is in good knick. I think the need for a small forward and the price that we should pay for one has been exaggerated. We will be tall but as our midfield matures our forward line will scare the hell out of some teams.
Where is pickett at with his injury?
when he plays he does things that makes u think he could be anything. if he would just get fit!

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
just rewatched the game. I know people say he gets all the dirty jobs and he had tough match ups etc. I agree with all of this, but I reckon 75% of the pies scores went through plowman. He is a defender. He is allowed to win contests and beat his man, even if it is an unfavorable match up. At the end of the day thats his job. From the outside looking in he seems a liability defensively. Add that to his skills and inability to stick a tack I dont get the obsession!
Look at the way the Pies got those goals and ask what more Plowman could do to stop them?
Also considering he had 7 intercept possessions it safe to say he beat his man more than once

Where is pickett at with his injury?
when he plays he does things that makes u think he could be anything. if he would just get fit!
Out for the year unfortunately - he has a very bad knee injury I think I read somewhere - worse than an ACL.:'(:'(:'(

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
We are getting to the point where some guys such as Pickett are going be additions to an already good team when they are right to play. There is emerging depth and there is a growing evidence that when one goes down another steps in to play the role. Early days but its coming. No more desperately selecting blokes too soon.

Last edited:

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Bit rough on a guy who is top 10 for Marks inside 50 and number 1 for Contested marks AFL wide.

Not sure of where he has been recently, just to me he has seemed a bit quieter the last few games. Haven't seen quite as much leading up and marking, seeing more wrestling and that's not his go. I think the opposition are making sure he's not allowed a run and jump at the ball and I feel better positioning would help here.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure of where he has been recently, just to me he has seemed a bit quieter the last few games. Haven't seen quite as much leading up and marking, seeing more wrestling and that's not his go. I think the opposition are making sure he's not allowed a run and jump at the ball and I feel better positioning would help here.
He’s had a couple of average games but he still kicked a couple on the weekend. He’s going through that transition now where all break out forwards have to learn with the extra attention. The delivery has to be better and this gives Charlie, Mitch and SOS a better chance to get off the leash more often.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok
i will take that....
so we are in for a few wins ye.....not just for show
i would be happy with 16 th this year...say 6-7 wins
next year wont be top 8...unless we spend big at trade
I hope when a few wins come and they will,boys put heads down and work even harder as the good clubs do

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
anyone who hasn't watched bolts' presser post-game needs to do so - you want progress - that's progress - the best he has delivered - watch it, all of you...
Can notice the definite change in his pressers this year particularly the last 3 weeks, he has adjusted nicely with his tone of questions and game analysis, he's been great and seems to be getting better👍

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
He’s had a couple of average games but he still kicked a couple on the weekend. He’s going through that transition now where all break out forwards have to learn with the extra attention. The delivery has to be better and this gives Charlie, Mitch and SOS a better chance to get off the leash more often.

I think it's got a fair bit to do with the opposition figuring him out too. Teams have focused on what made him good, running and jumping at the ball and have taken that away from him, he's not big and strong enough to be good with the push and shove so that's where teams are going.

I think he needs to make sure he's on the move, that's how you stop defenders using their body and wrestling you.

It's up to our coaching staff to now figure this one out.

SOSforPM

All Australian
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Look at the way the Pies got those goals and ask what more Plowman could do to stop them?
Also considering he had 7 intercept possessions it safe to say he beat his man more than once

I know you hate the way people use him as a whipping boy but do you agree that he finds himself in that position a lot more than anyone else? Not due to lack of effort but because he just can’t effectively stop enough of those situations.

Played well on the weekend but still got exposed at times.

Back