Autopsy Rd 8 Blues deserving but no reward again

Who played well in Round 8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Out for the year unfortunately - he has a very bad knee injury I think I read somewhere - worse than an ACL.:'(:'(:'(
I'm glad there are others who see the value of Pickett in our starting line up, JaB.
His presence in the forward line gives us an entire different dynamic, and that was before we had the three headed giant of Charles, H and Gov to feed off.

And here are the votes from the coaches... which add up to 31, and therefore contain an error. Probably a free kick to Collingwood.

CARLTON v COLLINGWOOD
10 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
7 Brodie Grundy (COLL)
5 Tom Phillips (COLL)
4 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)
2 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
2 Callum Brown (COLL)
1 Caleb Marchbank (CARL)

He has decided Bolton needs to be sacked and will leave no stone unturned until he makes it so, after all he has the power to decide.
Ha ha....he will fail and other media folk will turn on him because deep down they know there are a few that make them all look bad. Barret is not a football writer..he is a fringe dweller that lives to make bad news.

I'm glad there are others who see the value of Pickett in our starting line up, JaB.
His presence in the forward line gives us an entire different dynamic, and that was before we had the three headed giant of Charles, H and Gov to feed off.

I've previously waxed lyrical about Pickett - but the kid has had the worst run of injury and bad luck - fingers crossed his career isn't over - because every side needs at least one player with genuine lightning fast speed and he has it - no one else comes close in full flight at Carlton - watched him make Sydney look like they were frozen still as he waltzed through their whole midfield a few times at the SCG - I'll never forget that - Yarran type speed - effortless.

The chances of Pickett making it are very, very slim. Don't get your hopes up too much people.

Has shown glimpses but has never been able to get fit.

Came back this pre season out of shape. He had a real chance to cement a spot this year, and gave himself no real chance. (Obviously injury put a line through this year in the end too)

Has been injury cursed too.

I think they will give him one more year. As soon as his knee is okay he would want to be doing his own pre season to get ready for the pre season.

Talent is there but he needs his injury luck to turn around and his own attitude to do a complete 180.

I really hope he can do it but I just can't see it happening.

Can remember he lacked professionalism. Overweight....
We all know he came back out of shape at the start of the pre season. Eddie and Lance were shunted off to the fat farm at the start of each pre season. Stephen May and half of the Melbourne Football Club fronted up to pre season this year out of shape.

We now have Jacky Russell to monitor his fitness levels, and would no doubt have him on a specific program in his rehab....and would be reporting back to the club on his progress and commitment.

Because when he's up and going, we have no-one else like him on our list. Hopefully this year will be a wake up call for him to become fully focussed as a professional footballer....because we bloody need players like this!!!

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-03-10/jlt-pickett-pounces-and-scores

If Damian has honestly made that comment, he clearly has a deep seeded hatred for Carlton.
He needs to be taken around the back and be bitch slapped. I hate the guy.
Has got one of those faces, only a mother could love.
I reckon he was beaten up as a kid by Carlton supporters. Rant over.....

If so, they went too easy on him. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why make huge calls in times of need
Our setup right now is not geared for finals,it is a good list,however our progress has to be closely monitored...the breakout has been late,and perhaps not rushed and that suggests sustained attack down the track and further list building...eg.Kennedy or Fisher may be good mid depth,we require an elite mid NOW,that we dont have,and i am aware of Walsh
I am assuming re resign Cripps ?
We will require another Eddie Betts type small forward,Eventually a new ruck,Doc will be back but Simmo has to be replaced and so on..
Bolton will have to take the bull by the horns at some stage and play attacking ball,his approach may well change down the track as well as some of the assistant coaches...it must be said tho the list is good and coaches are a big step up
But still no breakout...instead of 2020 why not predict the second half of this season?......do you think we can make 16 th with say 6 wins?
This list should manage 6 wins .......so lets see Bolton earn his pay packet....which would be considerable ?
I don't think the gameplan needs to change substantially from where it is right now, just our ability to play to it needs to improve. You do not need to be a viciously high scoring side in a modern context, just to be able to kick a winning score (in excess of 88 points) whilst keeping your opponents below the competition benchmark for victory (65-70 points). To be considered a fair chance at a flag, kicking more than 100 points a game is good, but being one of the top 2 ranked defenses is better, and serves as a better flag indicator than just offensive power.

Richmond don't kick over 100 often, despite their much vaunted firepower up forward. Their strength is their midfield pressure combined with their high quality intercept defense allowing them to create turnovers and switch faster than their opponent can react, thereby minimising the impact of their own turnovers whilst maximising their oppositions. They're always set up behind the ball for a turnover, so should it happen they can pressure the ball carrier into kicking to Rance, Astbury, Vlaustin or Grimes, who flicks it off to Houli, then they're off to the races.

We simply need to improve sufficiently to allow our quality across the board to perform at their optimum level, and to allow our plan A to overrule our opponents. Kicking a higher score would be terrific, but is not essential to rising up the ladder. Our scoring needs to improve, but ask yourself: will it improve because the gameplan has changed, or because the players are more able to play to it?

Love this pic ...

08CaCo19MW10639.JPG

Hats off to Plow. Played his guts out in the last...got nothing from the officials, and to hear he did all that with a fractured cheekbone..... After all the negative media attention around him laughing during the Jones incident, I think he stood up against some of the best medium/smalls in the league right now.

Hi MKM, thanks for your insights. I agree AFL must be the most difficult of all sports to officiate. I'm trying to find a reason why there is a consistent pattern (in my observation) of free kicks going in large percentage to the team who either has a 'run on' or is perceived to be the better.

I must also observe though, that a ref claiming there is no 'confirmation bias' could just be proof of the same. With all respect, perhaps you are in the least best place to observe. This is a curly one. Please do not be offended, none is intended.

I would be fascinated to read your explanation of the free kick discrepancy on display yesterday. 28-8 just doesn't make any sense, especially when one discounts 'out on the full', and '50 meter' which, to my understanding accounted for 5 of our 8 free kicks yesterday. I think Collingwood had 2 OOF and 1 50,
so the actual 'adjudicated' free kicks were 25 - 3. Do you really think in that tight tussle yesterday that the discrepancy in skill 'avoiding' free kicks was better than 8-1?

I am seeking to know why this is so. I have always believed the umpires just pay what they see. Is it really possible they see one side 8 times better than the other?

No offence taken, and sorry to leave your response hanging, busy start to the week.

My officiating days are well over, and so are my competitive days. The only thing I do with competitive sport is support my nephews (my kids are still to young, although I have put the stopwatch out on my 9 month old daughter trying to improve her PB crawling up the hall way. Apparently she needs to improve her crawling gate, although with walking not far away I think her best crawling days are passed her)

The hardest thing is to justify a lob sided foul, free kick, violation count in any sport, let alone a sport where the intepretations and possible results in any moment can really go either way. As in my first post I think the biggest problem, is that the mechanics and positioning of umpires haven't changed over the years, but the interpretations constantly change.

What I think with the umpiring currently is that you have several umpires involved in anytime who can't influence a decision. For example, on the week end the plowman hold / non hold call. In this instance the possible free kick should be part of the score review, the goal umpire or boundary umpire should be able to communicate what they believe is a possible free kick, and it gets reviewed, similar to the NRL, where if there is any doubt about the in play actions, then that is reviewed. I think boundary umpires should be included as I stated above, there are so many cases where the controlling and non controlling umpires have no vision, but a boundary umpire would be able to see. It should only be looked at in a stoppage in play, or if their is an advantage to the offending team.

Hats off to Plow. Played his guts out in the last...got nothing from the officials, and to hear he did all that with a fractured cheekbone..... After all the negative media attention around him laughing during the Jones incident, I think he stood up against some of the best medium/smalls in the league right now.

Plow smiles all the time.

But when he's on the field he always appear to give 100% to me.

Back