Preview Rd. 8. Changes v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they're being a lot more conservative with injuries this year. That's why Talia came off at the first sign of hamstring tightness, and Lever isn't playing this weekend, possibly also explains Milera's absence last weekend.

Historically, I'd agree with you. Things appear to be different this year. They seem a lot less willing to select players who are borderline these days.

Yep, we've had a few 1 week hamstring injuries already. That's really unusual. Are these situations where players have normally played through? Players from all teams I'm talking.

Significantly? Milera's output this season has been statistically similar to VB's 2015.

Milera ahead: disposals, effective disposals, clangers (fewer), goal assists, uncontested possessions
Similar: clearances, kicks, contested possessions, goals
Van Berlo ahead: marks, tackles, inside 50s, rebound 50s

Of course that's a second year player we're talking about. Milera averaging 17 disposals, 14 effective. Van Berlo's best season? 24 touches, 16 effective.

Ridiculous to think Milera couldn't match VB's output with development under his belt. Not to mention Milera is an outside midfielder with far better disposal and decision making, whereas VB did a fair bit of inside work over his career.
Milera is going to be a far better player no doubt but is anyone arguing this ?

Quote from Vader: "The chances of Milera improving to match VB's output from 2007-2012 are vanishingly small."
BZUt9g3.gif

Quote from Vader: "The chances of Milera improving to match VB's output from 2007-2012 are vanishingly small."

You can't question #vaderlogic, after all there is no way that we can play Charlie Cameron and Wayne Milera in the same team :rolleyes:.

Charlie must be geographically challenged because we were also advised that there is no way that Charlie could ever play in the midfield.

Last edited:
Significantly? Milera's output this season has been statistically similar to VB's 2015.

Milera ahead: disposals, effective disposals, clangers (fewer), goal assists, uncontested possessions
Similar: clearances, kicks, contested possessions, goals
Van Berlo ahead: marks, tackles, inside 50s, rebound 50s

Of course that's a second year player we're talking about. Milera averaging 17 disposals, 14 effective. Van Berlo's best season? 24 touches, 16 effective.

Ridiculous to think Milera couldn't match VB's output with development under his belt. Not to mention Milera is an outside midfielder with far better disposal and decision making, whereas VB did a fair bit of inside work over his career.
Big, big, big typo. I meant Menzel.

Menzel, Menzel, Menzel, Menzel....

Not Milera. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Milera is going to be a far better player no doubt but is anyone arguing this ?
I ****ed up. I meant Menzel, not Milera.

I have no issue with Milera at all. It's Menzel who is completely and utterly underwhelming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't question #vaderlogic, after all there is no way that be can play Charlie Cameron and Wayne Milera in the same team :rolleyes:.

Charlie must be geographically challenged because we were also advised that there is no way that Charlie could ever play in the midfield.
You can in this case.. It's not #vaderlogic. It's #vaderdoesn'tproofreadproperly.

Good to see we brought in a small, running type for a tall - team balance has improved but we are still too slow by one of Otten/Kelly.

Hopefully next week it will be Lever, Knight in for Otten & Kelly and then the team balance is about right...would consider playing Hampton or Dougie off HBF until Cheney or Seedsman are fit.

Will be interesting with Hogan out if Melbourne go in small - could blitz us with pace.

I believe Menzel deserves 5 games in total before we start judging given he didn't play a game last year and is still young. He has been terrible but I think it might be because he is made for exactly the same role as Betts, namely a small-medium full forward type playing out of the square. There is 0 chance he replaces Betts in the next couple of years (excluding injury) so he needs to find a new role quickly!

IMO the half forward line is the most difficult line to play on - a player can easily become lost and halfway between contests - Menzel looked totally lost last time he played. Hopefully the coaches just tell him to either stay deep or work all the way up to the ball and play as an extra outside midfielder when the ball's in the forward half as he seems to struggle to read the play. On the other hand, Knight has shown he can read the play and be an effective linking and overlap HFF.

Not saying we'll win or even get close but I reckon Melbourne a better and less predictable side with Hogan not in it.

Our recent memorable wins over Geelong at Simmonds Stadium and Hawthorn last year did not include Hogan. Our forward line was at it's most dangerous against Essendon with Watts, Petracca and Garlett running amok.

Hogan would've kicked 2 or 3, but we also would've continually bombed it into our fwd line playing into your defenders hands.

That being said, you should win at home with a leg in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back