Autopsy Rd 8: That winning feeling... Swans vs. Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he deserves it a bit.

This 4 goal thing on YouTube doesn’t make for pretty viewing.

Getting into an opposition face is part of the game. O'Meara charging a shoulder into Papley's back is a free every time. Sinclair pushes Mitchell back from standing over Papley and Mitchell fakes a fall. Nah, Clarko. That one was acting. Focus on your weak as piss senior players. They need to improve their discipline and their acting skills. Try Puopolo's school of dramatic dives. Rance and Selwood are both former alumni.

Fox should be encouraged to step into the Rampe's shoes and provide that aggressive attack on the ball and desperate defence from the last line. He has similar skills, size and style to Rampe but needs confidence. I'd love to see him use his pace for more than just getting to contests. He needs to use it to break the lines. The guy has very good evasive skills and is tough as. He plays on talls or smalls. Match him with Melican or Maibaum taking on the biggest forward and tell him to play like Rampe (without climbing posts)
He used his pace to break a few lines on Saturday.

Nice

But I see your vid and raise you

There is a bloke on $1mill plus sitting on the sidelines.

But , if all watch closely I reckon he has learnt a lot from Buddy.

Papley , one of the few forwards to anticipate , get to space and demand the ball, he must have a loud voice that is respected.
My fav is the one Buddy outside 50 chip to him, showing confidence in ability to convert.

HE AINT GOING ANYWHERE.

PS Thankyou SOS not worth pick 9????? alone ???? enjoy your retirement.
Thanks for that. Any time, day or night, I’ll hapley watch Papley.

Nice to see a bit of humble pie dished about on the weekend in regards to some of the players written off on this board by some.

Clarke and Fox were huge for the most part and Blakey stepped up when it was needed. Cunningham was super impressive on Wingard and is a lock in our 22, regardless of injuries.

Nice to see a bit of humble pie dished about on the weekend in regards to some of the players written off on this board by some.

Clarke and Fox were huge for the most part and Blakey stepped up when it was needed. Cunningham was super impressive on Wingard and is a lock in our 22, regardless of injuries.
Must say, I barely noticed Clarke.

Only just had a chance to watch the game late yesterday, quite enjoyable actually! I do think it's a bit amusing that a week ago, the vibe (in general) on here was that our list is awful, the young blokes aren't developing. One win later and everything is rosy again - we have a bright future and the kids are alright! A win will do that I guess.....

A few things I took out of this one:
- say what you want about Reid but the guy is a professional and a target up forward that draws attention and has to be respected. Whether or not you think he's overrated or underrated or a list clogger or whatever, it's hard to deny what he does for our structure. Even just allowing Papley to do Papley things as a genuine small forward, rather than requiring him to be a true key forward target makes a difference.

- Ryan Clarke was fantastic today I thought. For many, it might be a sad reflection of where we currently are, but he is one of our best mids. He may still end up being solid reserve depth on a good team, but I'm not burying him just yet.

- Enough has been said about Rowbottom. I can't add much to the praise! He's terrific.

- Robbie Fox - I thought he was a genuine list clogger, but something's happening here. Was easily in our best today, and is backing up good performances. I'm reminded of Nick Smith a bit in that I was thoroughly unimpressed when he started but obviously he really developed into a valuable player. Fox might be cut from the same cloth. He's not sexy, but right now we need him in defence.

- James Bell....I've read a couple of positive things on here, but until he got a couple of kicks late in the game, I barely noticed him, except for when I often saw him hovering around the pack, just a step or two off the action. Seemed like he was playing half forward late, which may not be his strength. Not sure if he was in the midfield much at other times, but if he was, he had no impact. Just looks like a guy who maybe isn't up to this level. No issue with giving him a few more games to see if there's something there, but I'm not optimistic. Would rather give Wicks or Foot a run and see what they can do.

- Ling seemed to do ok but, again, until he got a few kicks in a row late, he was pretty quiet. Having said that, he didn't panic with those kicks and I'm not expecting him to be a high possession guy so it was a good start. I was thinking about him in comparison to Stoddart, who it seems most have written off already. Stoddart butchered the ball badly in his last game, but I thought he moved well and looked pretty good with the ball, and actually found it a bit. Not sure on the future for these two and whether we have a need for both - obviously we need to see more.

- Papley. LOL, what a gem.

- Elijah Taylor had some defensive lapses from what I saw, but you can forgive that at this stage in his development when you can see the class, movement and fluidity he has in just a handful of touches. Has a bit of X-factor that we really need and I'm pretty pleased with how he's gone the first two games.

- Aliir was back to his best, at least in the first half. I think he plays better with the long sleeves (seriously!).

- Tom McCartin really has something - it's pretty rare for a guy that young and who isn't all that physically imposing to be such a great contested mark. Seems to have improved his kicking a bit too. I've been an advocate of developing him as a tall defender, since our stocks have been so weak, but I'm increasingly thinking that's a bad idea, since he has a lot to offer up forward.

Just about everyone did well really - a real team effort. Even some of the regular targets on here - e.g. Cunningham and Lewis Taylor I thought were great. Hopefully we continue to see improvement from the kids and a good brand of football for the rest of the season, even if we don't win another game.

Only just had a chance to watch the game late yesterday, quite enjoyable actually! I do think it's a bit amusing that a week ago, the vibe (in general) on here was that our list is awful, the young blokes aren't developing. One win later and everything is rosy again - we have a bright future and the kids are alright! A win will do that I guess.....

- say what you want about Reid but the guy is a professional and a target up forward that draws attention and has to be respected. Whether or not you think he's overrated or underrated or a list clogger or whatever, it's hard to deny what he does for our structure. Even just allowing Papley to do Papley things as a genuine small forward, rather than requiring him to be a true key forward target makes a difference.

- Ryan Clarke was fantastic today I thought. For many, it might be a sad reflection of where we currently are, but he is one of our best mids. He may still end up being solid reserve depth on a good team, but I'm not burying him just yet.

- Enough has been said about Rowbottom. I can't add much to the praise! He's terrific.

- Robbie Fox - I thought he was a genuine list clogger, but something's happening here. Was easily in our best today, and is backing up good performances. I'm reminded of Nick Smith a bit in that I was thoroughly unimpressed when he started but obviously he really developed into a valuable player. Fox might be cut from the same cloth. He's not sexy, but right now we need him in defence.

- James Bell....I've read a couple of positive things on here, but until he got a couple of kicks late in the game, I barely noticed him, except for when I often saw him hovering around the pack, just a step or two off the action. Seemed like he was playing half forward late, which may not be his strength. Not sure if he was in the midfield much at other times, but if he was, he had no impact. Just looks like a guy who maybe isn't up to this level. No issue with giving him a few more games to see if there's something there, but I'm not optimistic. Would rather give Wicks or Foot a run and see what they can do.

- Ling seemed to do ok but, again, until he got a few kicks in a row late, he was pretty quiet. Having said that, he didn't panic with those kicks and I'm not expecting him to be a high possession guy so it was a good start. I was thinking about him in comparison to Stoddart, who it seems most have written off already. Stoddart butchered the ball badly in his last game, but I thought he moved well and looked pretty good with the ball, and actually found it a bit. Not sure on the future for these two and whether we have a need for both - obviously we need to see more.

- Elijah Taylor had some defensive lapses from what I saw, but you can forgive that at this stage in his development when you can see the class, movement and fluidity he has in just a handful of touches. Has a bit of X-factor that we really need and I'm pretty pleased with how he's gone the first two games.

- Aliir was back to his best, at least in the first half. I think he plays better with the long sleeves (seriously!).

- Tom McCartin really has something - it's pretty rare for a guy that young and who isn't all that physically imposing to be such a great contested mark. Seems to have improved his kicking a bit too. I've been an advocate of developing him as a tall defender, since our stocks have been so weak, but I'm increasingly thinking that's a bad idea, since he has a lot to offer up forward.

Just about everyone did well really - a real team effort. Even some of the regular targets on here - e.g. Cunningham and Lewis Taylor I thought were great. Hopefully we continue to see improvement from the kids and a good brand of football for the rest of the season, even if we don't win another game.
Great summary mate. I agree, as a collective, we lot on here are hilariously fickle.

Disagree there’s ever been much bagging of Reid going on. I think most agree he’s a great package. Probably more just frustration with Swans management because he’s on big coin and the poor guy has been so injury-prone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good insight in that. Well done.

Tit bits (comments)

Longmire has hinted more than once, but recently a player (I think Mills?) said recently (seemingly certain) Fox is getting one on one tuition from Nick Smith.
Nick was very under rated albeit an AA defender. Knew how to position and use his body legally and when to run and where to kick it.

I still think when his body develops McCartin is a CHB in the Paul Roos / Reg Grundy style. He can read the play has the guts, just not the experience yet.

Clarke gives everything, it is up to the team to compensate for his poor rushed bomb disposal. Short leads in anticipation and talk.
He often has a sec or so more time than he thinks

The differences was allowing young blokes to be play attacking footy. They cannot do that without structure , dragging one or two defenders to a bloke like Reid.
He ought be given leave /licence not to overstretch and risk break down. Let the others bust a gut & get the goals.

Just enjoy the win it wont be easy this year, they only have to learn and blood some (all) youngsters

I still think when his body develops McCartin is a CHB in the Paul Roos / Reg Grundy style. He can read the play has the guts, just not the experience yet.
Kid is 20 or 21, a good set shot and a wonderful mark in a team with limited forward options

Can we stop trying to make everyone a defender?

Then I’m in the minority. A player giving it to another like that is just ugly.
yeah, I would like them to introduce a Nelson rule - any player who goes "Ha-ha" to an opposition player gets a free kick paid against them. Its an ugly blight on the game and a terrible example for the kids. Honestly, when did sportsmanship go out the window to be replaced by arseholism? Was it about the time Sam Newman was running around?

Kid is 20 or 21, a good set shot and a wonderful mark in a team with limited forward options

Can we stop trying to make everyone a defender?

Yes OK. Sorry !

I would luv to think he could become a dominant CHF - we'll see. That takes a special flair - Tom seems rather a cool level head type .

But look at the important kicks eg the E Taylor goal it was clear ahead vision long kick. Was it him also put it over the back for Papley's run?

Swans and most modern football is about rebound on turnover. Allir is not my choice at CHB, he has to be free in space. Especially when there is no decent ruckman and poor centre clearance nor kick behind play marker

Anyway, I am convinced Joe Daniher comes 2021 for free. If Buddy goes on (please at least 1 more) and Reid is available , then I am trying to anticipate where such a talent is best used.

Defence wins premierships -but not the medals.

Yes OK. Sorry !

I would luv to think he could become a dominant CHF - we'll see. That takes a special flair - Tom seems rather a cool level head type .

But look at the important kicks eg the E Taylor goal it was clear ahead vision long kick. Was it him also put it over the back for Papley's run?

Swans and most modern football is about rebound on turnover. Allir is not my choice at CHB, he has to be free in space. Especially when there is no decent ruckman and poor centre clearance nor kick behind play marker

Anyway, I am convinced Joe Daniher comes 2021 for free. If Buddy goes on (please at least 1 more) and Reid is available , then I am trying to anticipate where such a talent is best used.

Defence wins premierships -but not the medals.

Can we not try and move every decent forward to defence...it’s beyond silly. How about we let MCCartin stay forward and develop.

I hope we don’t waste our time with Daniher

Can we not try and move every decent forward to defence...it’s beyond silly. How about we let MCCartin stay forward and develop.

I hope we don’t waste our time with Daniher

You can. I will now shut up and leave it to you experts.

Must be a horrible thought for you to have a ex Don come? But Ant (Dad) was a Swans fan in junior years, played first for Swans, Mum was sister to a Swans great and Joe is TOTALLY pizzed off with your ex team/club (like YOU) and worth it a try if he comes for nearly free?

Search for his Anzac day game (youtube - watch) and then realise he was suffering at the time .

You can. I will now shut up and leave it to you experts.

Must be a horrible thought for you to have a ex Don come? But Ant (Dad) was a Swans fan in junior years, played first for Swans, Mum was sister to a Swans great and Joe is TOTALLY pizzed off with your ex team/club (like YOU) and worth it a try if he comes for nearly free?

Search for his Anzac day game (youtube - watch) and then realise he was suffering at the time .

He hasn’t played in too long. Waste of time in our salary cap especially what we’d have to give up at least in cash. That is my primary issue with Daniher! I popped the champagne when the trade fell over last year (thank you Dodo lol)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back