Autopsy Rd 8: That winning feeling... Swans vs. Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans director's cut

Regarding the Papley / Mitchell incident - watch it again with an eye on Mitchell's actions. He slides in knee first from behind as Papley is kicking the goal.

Papley isn't taunting Mitchell - he's giving him a serve for an action that could have resulted in a career ending injury, something that Mitchell should be all too aware of.

I think there is a slight case to be made that Papley deserved a free from the slide - you shouldn't be allowed to do that as someone is kicking.

I had a feeling that something must have happened, for Papley to react the way he did.

Regarding the Papley / Mitchell incident - watch it again with an eye on Mitchell's actions. He slides in knee first from behind as Papley is kicking the goal.

Papley isn't taunting Mitchell - he's giving him a serve for an action that could have resulted in a career ending injury, something that Mitchell should be all too aware of.

I think there is a slight case to be made that Papley deserved a free from the slide - you shouldn't be allowed to do that as someone is kicking.

(long time lurker, first time poster. Carn the Swans!)
I felt he was getting ready to taunt him since you can see Mitchell try to impede his run just before the throw up. Felt it was more about that, but you could be right. Didn't like how Mitchell slid in.

I felt he was getting ready to taunt him since you can see Mitchell try to impede his run just before the throw up. Felt it was more about that, but you could be right. Didn't like how Mitchell slid in.
Papely said in the post match interview Mitchell spoke s**t to him just prior to the goal. There's no conspiracy theory about sliding in etc, Paps just gave him a serve back. Case closed.

Gary Lyon made a good point about the Hawks having too many good ball-getters and not enough good ball users in their midfield. Spot on. Mitchell was always good at getting the ball but an average user. Horse knew that. It wasn't only the money. Mitchell added little to our midfield that already had in and under beasts in Parker and Kennedy. It was losing the hard running of Hanners that hurt us most, not losing Mitchell. Clarkson sold the farm to get Mitchell, Scully and O'Meara but now they're paying for it. His entire game plan was built on good ball use. They're no a great team anymore but still, we beat them with a team of kids. Those kids will get better and better for many years. Hawks have an ageing list with many past their prime. I like what the Swans have done with this rebuild. It takes an good coach to get a team to several GFs over a 5 year period. It take a better one to turn over that team and build anew, almost from scratch, and to build a new game plan to take advantage of their youth, pace and enthusiasm.

I very much like where this club is headed.
33973216-1918-4888-8CB3-7F292D921EDF.jpeg
The primary point of difference betseen the two sides seems to be the 100-150 gamers vs 150+.

should we be expecting much improvement out of Lloyd, Sinclair, Lewis Taylor, Cunningham, Reid, or Sam Gray?

Obviously we’ve got more young guys doing more of the heavy lifting, and the Hawks are particukarly old, but i think we’re still in a pretty precarious position list wise.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo’s coach has been to the Horse School of post match press conferences.

Demeanour, tone, even the clearing of the throat .... it’s 100% Horse.
And it's not unusual for the journalists to actually confuse their names. I've heard Justin Longmuir referred to as Longmire more than once by east coast journalists.

FWIW....I’m not after a rule, it’s just a culture thing. Don’t stand over a bloke lying on the ground screaming sh*t at him.

ive had the view for a couple of years that if anyone shoves my head into the ground after tackling me they should know I’m going to punch them in the head.

theres just too much of the taunting that goes on in AFL because they know no one can whack them anymore.

The "umpire conspiracy against us herp derp" meme may need to change.

The Swans have the 4th best frees for/against record in the league (ahead of the Bulldogs) including a 22-13 advantage against Hawthorn last night

I don’t think the umps are against us

but it’s not all about the number !

FWIW....I’m not after a rule, it’s just a culture thing. Don’t stand over a bloke lying on the ground screaming sh*t at him.
They're clearly mates. Nothing wrong with giving your mates competitive s**t in the heat of a game. It's part of what drives the competitive instinct. And why it's so interesting to watch passionate games.

Stop trying to sanitise everything.

They're clearly mates. Nothing wrong with giving your mates competitive sh*t in the heat of a game. It's part of what drives the competitive instinct. And why it's so interesting to watch passionate games.

Stop trying to sanitise everything.
What am I trying to sanitise? Which part of “not seeking a rule” don’t you understand?

Wicks and O'Conner onto the senior list yesterday.
I'm expecting Wicks to be in this week for Stephens - who could use a week to rest, reset and get ready for the thurs game coming up after.
Hope Maibaum gets a chance. Don't want Rampe back off hand surgery - deserves a rest and back for Thurs game at earliest too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back