Preview Rd 8: v Demons @ Gabba Sat 12th May 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for Stewart Dew

I don't know how to make us better

Lost the ruck
Lost the midfield
Defence held up well for first half but just couldn't maintain against the onslaught (Melbourne were on track for all time record i50 but just fell short)
Forwards did half decently to kick 11 goals from 40 inside 50's but should have had at least another 2-3 that we butchered
No forward half skill outside of Jack Martin who kicked 4

In other news
May touched an umpire and might get suspended
David Swallow iced up ankle and knee on bench
Lyons looks likes he's played a whole season already
Some of the young guys got a run in the guts in the last third of the game which was good.
I think Melbourne equaled the all-time record for inside 50s at 83. Apart from our lack of a midfield, that to me demonstrates a lack of effort. At one centre bounce we had absolutely no one on the halfback line and allowed them to stroll in for the easiest of goals. Unforgivable basic errors.

Effort was there but the road trip has killed us.

Jesus christ though For a small club our "fans" are deadset toxic. The infighting and bashing of the team makes me embassed to be lumped in with them.
Agree with this. The road trip has absolutely torched our ability to compete. Our midfield has slowly over the weeks become less and less competitive around stoppages. To the point where the oppo just walked it out.

Could we have managed our mids better? I think yes, but it's a moot point now. This scenario will never happen again.

Watching guys like Scheer just hang onto Jones for life is just painful. Severely outclassed in every way.

Hopefully we get someone like Barlow back in. Brodie must come in but looks like he had a poor game in the 2s.

I feel sorry for Stewart Dew

I don't know how to make us better

Lost the ruck
Lost the midfield
Defence held up well for first half but just couldn't maintain against the onslaught (Melbourne were on track for all time record i50 but just fell short)
Forwards did half decently to kick 11 goals from 40 inside 50's but should have had at least another 2-3 that we butchered
No forward half skill outside of Jack Martin who kicked 4

In other news
May touched an umpire and might get suspended
David Swallow iced up ankle and knee on bench
Lyons looks likes he's played a whole season already
Some of the young guys got a run in the guts in the last third of the game which was good.
Witts did well in the ruck against the best in the comp in Gawn, who gets away with holding and draping himself all over opponents all the time.
The Centre clearances were actually improved, with Scheer and Ainsworth getting a go in the square.
The opposition had a better gameplan for handling our defenders and creating mismatches.
The Suns forward line misses Lynch and Wright like the dessert misses the rain.

Commentators discussed the May incident and the umpires themselves weren't bothered by it - if he's suspended I'll be filthy.
Swallow was bashed and bruised all day, but couldn't win a free kick for love or money.
Lyons was better this week, but still looks limited.
The young guys are being blooded and given valuable experience.

Onto Shanghai...

Effort was there but the road trip has killed us.

Jesus christ though For a small club our "fans" are deadset toxic. The infighting and bashing of the team makes me embassed to be lumped in with them.

BRM you travel up to this smelly river sewer, combine with the mounting losses, the scoreline blowing out, the errors, then you are faced with the trip home and no scotch again.

It takes its toll mentally. A heavy toll.

At least the Power won, meaning they aren’t as hungry as they would be with 2-3 consecutive losses. There was an article showing how many teams rebound after getting smashed, whilst teams who just win normally lose the next week. Doubt we get close though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Melbourne equaled the all-time record for inside 50s at 83. Apart from our lack of a midfield, that to me demonstrates a lack of effort. At one centre bounce we had absolutely no one on the halfback line and allowed them to stroll in for the easiest of goals. Unforgivable basic errors.
We are'nt going that bad. By my count we have made 4 grand finsls already this season and we aren't even half way through!
Chances are we will win a premiership this year and for guys like Brett Holman and Alex Sexton it's nothing short of a miracle!
All insanity aside, I really think we could win the spoon this year and lose Lynch.. but at least we got Weller, we should be able to build around him for a decade. Did you know he played 44 games in a row at Freo? Wow!
In the Gold Coast's first year I used to hope we would jag the first score and then see how deep into the game we could lead the game.. 4 minutes into the first quarter used to be pretty exciting. . I did not think I would be playing that game still.. btw we lost the lead for good with 7 minutes to go in the first half.. we have come a long way..
Oh well off to China now, all this travelling has got to be good for team bonding, unless your rooming with Aaron Hall... anyway maybe we should treat it like a "mini Grand Final" and become champions of China!
And if not we could get some sponorship from behind the Bamboo curtain right! I mean we play in Red, that will work, surely!

At least the Power won, meaning they aren’t as hungry as they would be with 2-3 consecutive losses. There was an article showing how many teams rebound after getting smashed, whilst teams who just win normally lose the next week. Doubt we get close though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you think it would matter? The boys are running on fumes - expecting an 80 point loss next week with the blokes out and now Swallow, May and Day possible outs

Do you think it would matter? The boys are running on fumes - expecting an 80 point loss next week with the blokes out and now Swallow, May and Day possible outs
Not really but if they lost tonight it would be even worse

BRM you travel up to this smelly river sewer, combine with the mounting losses, the scoreline blowing out, the errors, then you are faced with the trip home and no scotch again.

It takes its toll mentally. A heavy toll.
I've already taken two nights off travelling into Brisbane to work to travel into Brisbane to watch us play on bugger all sleep. I've sat through 7 years of watching this team play and still the one thing that fusterates me the most of all is people with nothing constructive to say, just go and bag out the players and the team because it makes them feel like a big man.

We're a small enough club as it is, We need to band together not fall apart at the first sign of trouble.

The boys have been putting the effort in but are cooked and not getting the reward for the effort. We'll get there, I've never been more confident of that than I am under the Dew reigeme.

Side note: Footy beer tastes like crap

I've already taken two nights off travelling into Brisbane to work to travel into Brisbane to watch us play on bugger all sleep. I've sat through 7 years of watching this team play and still the one thing that fusterates me the most of all is people with nothing constructive to say, just go and bag out the players and the team because it makes them feel like a big man.

We're a small enough club as it is, We need to band together not fall apart at the first sign of trouble.

The boys have been putting the effort in but are cooked and not getting the reward for the effort. We'll get there, I've never been more confident of that than I am under the Dew reigeme.

I don’t disagree with anything you just said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel sorry for the players , especially Swallow, Martin,Lyons , Florini , two already go down , I am not saying play kids for the sack of playing kids but manage your important players ,if not you going to watch Young ,Holman playing with Brodie , scrimshaw instead of The top 10 pick playing with Swallow and Martin .

Last edited:

Totally agree mate (long time reader first time poster)

As a long time suns fan I know the fastest exit out of any stadium in the country, but I can’t expect the boys the put in the hard yards on the field if I don’t back them 100% through thick and thin.

Never been more confident that Dewy has the right plan to get us to the big show in September - at least this year we’re finally seeing some toughness and fight-back.

We should all remember how much these ass-kickings hurt - will make the finals all the more sweeter when they happen.

Stick with it guys. Your draw and injuries have greatly conspired against you. Any club would struggle in your position.

One day you'll all be on here celebrating your prelim. win at Metricon v Collingwood or Adelaide and figuring how to get to Melbourne next week for your first Grand Final.

Good to see some positivity here.

Totally agree mate (long time reader first time poster)

As a long time suns fan I know the fastest exit out of any stadium in the country, but I can’t expect the boys the put in the hard yards on the field if I don’t back them 100% through thick and thin.

Never been more confident that Dewy has the right plan to get us to the big show in September - at least this year we’re finally seeing some toughness and fight-back.

We should all remember how much these ass-kickings hurt - will make the finals all the more sweeter when they happen.
Nailed it mate, Great first post.

I might get called glass half full but it's less soul crushing when you've got hope... Sometimes hopes all we've got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back