Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

But we not playing San Diego this week Dram.....
Damn... I knew there was something wrong with the uniforms... not enough padding!

But it's really the same thing from a psychological standpoint. Our mids get caught in the quicksand. They lose the handle in the midfield when the opposition changes a few things because our coaches don't react to the changes quickly enough. The times when they have pulled things back from the brink and have managed to recover is when s**t goes sideways in the second quarter. We lose the quarter, the opposition gets a run on us... and the midfield coaches have the time over the half time break to restructure things. If things go sideways in the first or third quarters, by the time that the mids coaches have reacted... we're stuffed and the only thing keeping us in the game is the defense.

thebluenewdeal

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Throwing Cripps forward cost us that game more than many of us think. When playing forward, he stretched the ground when their midfield had dominance, giving their backs more space to operate and not impacting where the actual game was being played. He literally ran away from the contest. He’s not a mid/fwd. He gets enough shots at goal playing in the middle anyways. Throw him in the midfield and just stick him there. He was tracking back to help our defenders in the first half and as soon as we tinkered with the midfield it all went to s**t. Coaches need to fit whoever they want around him and not replace him. What sort of message are they trying to send? Our midfield hasn’t proven anything without him being in there. It was such an arrogant move. I understand maybe because Jsos went down then we had to do it but there’s other options in our team that can play forward. Cunners can play deepest forward. Even SPS has the smarts to play deepest forward. Why throw Cripps there? Because he’s tall? Jeez. Mind boggling. He’s a bull and bulls don’t belong in cages.

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Have had a nights sleep so can think about the game a little differently now.

I think we did great considering lack of midfield performers - and with TDK in we will see an improvement. I get it - our losses have been frustrating but the boys keep bouncing back after setbacks this year and I have a belief they will learn from these losses and get us the wins we need.

We are 3-5 but have the following very winnable games:
Melbourne - I think we have a 40-60 chance
Hawthorn - more than 50-50
Sydney - 50-50
Eagles at G - 50-50
Giants x 2 - 50-50
Adelaide - more than 50-50
Freo away - 50-50
Geelong - unlikely
Collingwood - above 50-50
North - above 50-50
Saints - 50-50
Suns - above 50-50
Port away - unlikely

The games we should win gets us to 8 wins and then we need to win 4 of the 50-50 games and one of Melbourne, Geelong or Port. 13 wins should be enough to get into the 8 and reset. So as bad and as disappointing as the 5 losses have been, I still us capable of getting to 13-9 from here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
By those numbers would of been Williams most dominant 1/4
He picked up two cheap late possessions, so really he had 7 possessions when the game was on the line, 0 clearances and 1 tackle. Ended the game with the worst stats baring SPS and JSOS for obvious reasons… followed closely by Saad.

Judds Junk

Senior List
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Can’t drop Owies after 5 goals in 2 games.

I’m not convinced he’s the answer long term, but applies pressure and has a crack and has converted.

Kennedy won’t play another AFL game unless we have an injury crisis.

I disagree. I think with McGov & JSOS both out, Kennedy is the perfect option for a medium forward... plus he can offer something in the midfield. I don't think he's in our best 22, but we've got plenty out right now.

I like Owies ability to take chances, but with Honey featuring in the VFL best again, and his speed, physicality and X-factor.... I just think he's got to get in the senior soon.

Judds Junk

Senior List
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The issue at the moment, and this is just my opinion, is that both Casboult and Pittornet are probably not good enough in their respective roles to be playing in our best 22. But, we only have TDK coming back as a tall option. Looking likely that only one will stay in the team - for me I'd rather Pitto, but preferably Curnow would take that other spot.

If Curnow and McGov are both fit (will that ever happen?), surely the coaches have been thinking through another option for a back up ruck then Levi... Jones? McGov? Anyone really.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I disagree. I think with McGov & JSOS both out, Kennedy is the perfect option for a medium forward... plus he can offer something in the midfield. I don't think he's in our best 22, but we've got plenty out right now.

I like Owies ability to take chances, but with Honey featuring in the VFL best again, and his speed, physicality and X-factor.... I just think he's got to get in the senior soon.

No reason why Honey and Owies can’t play in the same side.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
the loss wasn't a surprise, but that we were in front for so long was.

bit of dale thomas about williams' move across. dale was pretty good in his last 2-3 seasons after sorting out his injuries, but we wouldn't want to wait that long for zac to get into gear.

tell cripps to have a rest. i know playing wasn't supposed to make whatever his injury was worse but he looks like he needs a spell.
i thought the personal matters troubling him last year might have been helped a bit by teams not spending weeks and months away from home. but who knows.
i doubt that he would suddenly pack in the professionalism we know he has whether or not he was moving on end of season. i don't see his form as meaning he's going.

incaciawin

Blues4ever
Aug 7, 2009
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
There are numerous problems with our football club at the moment.....But let's start with one. The ravenous desire to WIN. It's just not there enough of the time. This was a make or break game type for the Blues. Yet we could only muster 45 tackles to 58. Inside 50 tackles just 6 to 11. Geelong recorded 19 inside 50 tackles vs Richmond on Friday night. Sydney recorded 35 inside 50 tackles vs Melbourne !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thebluenewdeal

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Have had a nights sleep so can think about the game a little differently now.

I think we did great considering lack of midfield performers - and with TDK in we will see an improvement. I get it - our losses have been frustrating but the boys keep bouncing back after setbacks this year and I have a belief they will learn from these losses and get us the wins we need.

We are 3-5 but have the following very winnable games:
Melbourne - I think we have a 40-60 chance
Hawthorn - more than 50-50
Sydney - 50-50
Eagles at G - 50-50
Giants x 2 - 50-50
Adelaide - more than 50-50
Freo away - 50-50
Geelong - unlikely
Collingwood - above 50-50
North - above 50-50
Saints - 50-50
Suns - above 50-50
Port away - unlikely

The games we should win gets us to 8 wins and then we need to win 4 of the 50-50 games and one of Melbourne, Geelong or Port. 13 wins should be enough to get into the 8 and reset. So as bad and as disappointing as the 5 losses have been, I still us capable of getting to 13-9 from here.

Can I have what you’re drinking? We’re currently 3-5 this season and 7-10 last season. Same group but we added 2 pretty good players. 10-15 in the last 2 seasons is a win rate of 40%. We’re a 40% chance to win all of those games unless something fundamentally changes.

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Can I have what you’re drinking? We’re currently 3-5 this season and 7-10 last season. Same group but we added 2 pretty good players. 10-15 in the last 2 seasons is a win rate of 40%. We’re a 40% chance to win all of those games unless something fundamentally changes.

The headline is we have more games left against non top 8 teams than we do against Top 8 teams. Before the season started we did think we were a chance of finishing 7th or 8th but that didn’t depend on us needing to beat Richmond, Port, Brisbane or the Bulldogs. Only loss which impacts finals is Collingwood. We can still make up for that by beating a Top 6 team. Once you hit some form it really helps and we have shown enough to suggest we will hit form soon.

Winning 40 percent of games in total doesn't equate to a 40 per cent chance against each team individually. You're saying our chances against a team like North are exactly the same as our chances against teams like Melbourne, thats a nonsense.

Juddrockz

Premium Platinum
Oct 22, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It started earlier with a couple of bad turnovers late in the third - Stocker in the middle and Saad out on the full - which cut the margin from 27 to 14 and started the rot.

Also those missed shots at goal by JSOS and Fogarty earlier in game were very costly. We had a surge in the second and third that should’ve put us 40 points up instead of 27.
How many kicks were kicked out on the full causing turn overs aswell.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Good
-Weitering, 7 or 8 intercept marks from kicks that the best midfield in the comp were delivering, he bails out Teague and Barker time and time again

Bad
-How do you get smashed in clearances against a first game ruck when you also have Cripps? Barker needs to go, every line he has looked after for 10 years has been trash and I don't understand how someone can survive so long at a club that has totally under performed

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
There are numerous problems with our football club at the moment.....But let's start with one. The ravenous desire to WIN. It's just not there enough of the time. This was a make or break game type for the Blues. Yet we could only muster 45 tackles to 58. Inside 50 tackles just 6 to 11. Geelong recorded 19 inside 50 tackles vs Richmond on Friday night. Sydney recorded 35 inside 50 tackles vs Melbourne !
Yep we are playing pretty downhill skiing football when we can get the clearances going our way we can look a million $ .
But as soon as we lose control in that area we cant or wont defend like our lives depend on it hence the multiple goals piled on in a row .
Part coaching structures -positioning -selection leaving our defence to hold the dam wall part player willingness to dig in .
If i read correctly Sam Walsh had 38 pressure acts next best cunners at 19 thats a huge **** you to the defence from the midfield .

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Having not commented as yet and having slept on the result yesterday .... so much to say ........

I'll leave it breif though ...

Weitering .... beast
Walsh ..... beast
JSOS .... team motivatorr

Couple of others can keep their heads high (put that sentence in as an escape clause)

THE REST SHAT THE BED.

PATHETIC LOSS.

From the MC to the coaching, to those players ......

Worse loss I can remember in quite a while.

Our team has so few battle in the trenches players .... we are the French or the Italians in WWII .... when we need to be the Russians.

Paying people like Williams and Gov what we have for zero output only adds to the team's low morale and loser attitude.

Teague, again, was out coached, he looks like a deer in headlights on game day. His demeanour is really starting to s**t me tbh.

Pitto can't beat bs ruckman .... joke.

Just over this season, so much promise, 80k members duped

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I read here that Saad was 41% TOG. Was he injured?

Considering that stat and:

Zac 7 touches
Crippa 15
Cuners 12 (good ones though!)

Other than Curnow and Walsh, no other mid had over 15 touches. Incredible. Most Dogs mids 25 plus touches.

Smashed in centre clearances

So..how on earth did we lead by 27 points late in the 3rd quarter?

Serious question

Back