Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, but I would be very surprised if he ended up at the Dockers, hence the Cerra deal would be nonexistent, unless there is a 3way deal, again doubtful

I think Cripps stays
Have had a nights sleep so can think about the game a little differently now.

I think we did great considering lack of midfield performers - and with TDK in we will see an improvement. I get it - our losses have been frustrating but the boys keep bouncing back after setbacks this year and I have a belief they will learn from these losses and get us the wins we need.

We are 3-5 but have the following very winnable games:
Melbourne - I think we have a 40-60 chance
Hawthorn - more than 50-50
Sydney - 50-50
Eagles at G - 50-50
Giants x 2 - 50-50
Adelaide - more than 50-50
Freo away - 50-50
Geelong - unlikely
Collingwood - above 50-50
North - above 50-50
Saints - 50-50
Suns - above 50-50
Port away - unlikely

The games we should win gets us to 8 wins and then we need to win 4 of the 50-50 games and one of Melbourne, Geelong or Port. 13 wins should be enough to get into the 8 and reset. So as bad and as disappointing as the 5 losses have been, I still us capable of getting to 13-9 from here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Their is some serious optimism there....One thing unfortunately is certain....we won't be playing finals this year

Stocker and Fogarty made some pretty costly mistakes...

But they are both kids and they will do that. Painful but forgivable.

What is unforgivable is the captain not showing up for pretty much the whole season. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I do know something isn't right. Either he's checked out or under too much pressure mentally at home and work and it's all getting a bit too much...

Zac Williams, seriously this guy is taking the piss. He's taking the absolute piss out of this club and its members.

Levi Casboult... fmd mate this guy has got to go... but no matter what, he takes his spot every week... Oh yeah.. "structure" We got absolutely slaughtered in centre clearances so as a chop out, it pretty much didn't matter. He didn't kick any goals again either. He gives away dumb free kicks, he makes dumb decisions, he plods around.. I said it earlier... as a limited footballer he gave his all and got the most out of himself, but now he is a heavily declined, limited footballer. Having him out there is costing us dearly.

Pitto is seriously not AFL standard. Can't ruck at AFL level when you - haven't got any leap, haven't got any versatility, don't take enough marks... he tries hard but that's about it.

These are meant to be senior players, leading the way instead they're a liability.

Here's a fun fact, Sam Walsh got the same amount of disposals as Cripps and Williams combined... 24. Let that sink in...
What’s been lost completely from Cripps’ game is intensity. It’s gone. He is not on the move at contests. He’s not shoving guys out of his way to make space. He’s not hitting the ball hard at all. For us to be overwhelmed repeatedly at centre bounces while he stood there flat footed is alarming. If he’s SO injured that he can’t get motion and aggression into his body at bounces then he simply can’t be allowed to play. If he CAN get aggression into his body in these situations.....then HOW ABOUT YOU FARKINg DO IT MATE??????

Have had a nights sleep so can think about the game a little differently now.

I think we did great considering lack of midfield performers - and with TDK in we will see an improvement. I get it - our losses have been frustrating but the boys keep bouncing back after setbacks this year and I have a belief they will learn from these losses and get us the wins we need.

We are 3-5 but have the following very winnable games:
Melbourne - I think we have a 40-60 chance
Hawthorn - more than 50-50
Sydney - 50-50
Eagles at G - 50-50
Giants x 2 - 50-50
Adelaide - more than 50-50
Freo away - 50-50
Geelong - unlikely
Collingwood - above 50-50
North - above 50-50
Saints - 50-50
Suns - above 50-50
Port away - unlikely

The games we should win gets us to 8 wins and then we need to win 4 of the 50-50 games and one of Melbourne, Geelong or Port. 13 wins should be enough to get into the 8 and reset. So as bad and as disappointing as the 5 losses have been, I still us capable of getting to 13-9 from here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
TDk will be a good in but he doesn’t have his leap at the moment.

I read here that Saad was 41% TOG. Was he injured?

Considering that stat and:

Zac 7 touches
Crippa 15
Cuners 12 (good ones though!)

Other than Curnow and Walsh, no other mid had over 15 touches. Incredible. Most Dogs mids 25 plus touches.

Smashed in centre clearances

So..how on earth did we lead by 27 points late in the 3rd quarter?

Serious question

Saad was on for 74%.

But yeah - pretty bad. Gibbons had 11 - averages 15. Against he lions he had 5 disposals for 74% game time.

Their is some serious optimism there....One thing unfortunately is certain....we won't be playing finals this year

What really scares me about where are at right now is if we get Kemp and Curnow back and they blitz - they will carry us to the finals. But Teague may not be up to it - and we spend our rebuild on him.

I have a huge fear of a Grant Thomas era.

What really scares me about where are at right now is if we get Kemp and Curnow back and they blitz - they will carry us to the finals. But Teague may not be up to it - and we spend our rebuild on him.

There is zero chance we make finals. We are not a top 8 team this year.

Can’t drop Owies after 5 goals in 2 games.

I’m not convinced he’s the answer long term, but applies pressure and has a crack and has converted.

Kennedy won’t play another AFL game unless we have an injury crisis.

On Kennedy, we've destroyed him like so many others.

Not picked when he clearly warrants selection, then finally picked but then played out of position, then dropped again....a week later.

Thought after sleeping on it the game might seem a bit more positive. But yeah this loss still really hurts.

Positive is we did play some really good footy for just shy of 3 qtrs. Despite getting smashed in the clearances we were really out playing them around the ground. Our transition of the ball was good. We were giving our forwards a chance. And our defence was super.

But then came the negative. Stopping an opposition run on. After how many times this has happened you would think we would have trained on what to do when the momentum shifts the other way. We played like deer's in headlights. Completely reactive. Second to the ball. And when we had it our decision making and skill execution was woeful.

There's definitely a good football side in there somewhere. Just need to find a way to play well for 4 qtrs and fix a few key areas.

The season is really slipping away now, so need to fix a few things quickly.

some of you people would do better to just shout carna blues often...do it home and at work...get excited.....get behind the club you claim to support instead of finding fault in every aspect

just my opinion

oh yes it was exciting when we were ahead and playing well....we are so close now and even without our best team out there....
it was bitterly dissapointing to find that

a. the bulldogs are actually not bad .....(they took a lot of risks to get back in the game and one steadier from us and it wouldnt happen)..and
b. we fell in a heap the second Jack went down ( that needs close examination but no doubt he is a vital cog)

This time next year I reckon we put a team away from that position but by jingoes the wait is a torment

+Betts: turned back the hands of time! Unbelievable
+Like the ball movement and intent we showed in the first 2 1/2 quarters

-Fog missing a 20 metre open goal. Unforgivable
-JSOS has the heart of a lion, but get him completely away from the goals. Absolutely sh*t any time he has to shoot. 20 metres twice uncontested and you can’t goal? Really?
-Stockers unforgivable turnover in the 3rd quarter, Jesus Christ.

Finally, everyone is free to question Murphy’s inclusion into this side, but don’t do that and then say Cripps deserves to be in this team. He’s actively hurting us at the stoppages trying to play hero ball and not doing the basics. Tries to take on 3 players at every opportunity and just fu**s it all up. Completely disrespecting all those around him. Has been our worst player for 6 1/2 games this year and should be dropped to the 2’s to find form.
Setters is playing really well in the guts at the moment in the twos, then playing him on the wing at AFL level scratch my head.
Playing an injured player in his position at AFL scratch my head.
Toss of a coin Cas/Cripps as the worst this year.
These two playing on the field at the same time = 16 vs 18, wonder why we are not winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn't Williams playing on a back flank with Saad...can't tag them both...Williams is not a mid or a forward....terrible coaching...best teams are based on defence....we have it with Jones weitering doc Saad and Williams...do it Teaguey you nuffy
MC: Sorry mate you are going on a back flank from now on
ZW: But you said I'd play midfield!!!!
MC: Oh, all right then. Off you go.

Last edited:
No choke, that is an easy excuse.

Dogs flicked a switch and completely outclassed us. Our midfield is looking weaker by the week.

You can see the coaches are losing confidence in Cripps on the ball. It is scary but he is so slow these days and such a poor defensive player and ball user I am starting to worry if he is even a viable option on the ball. Would hate to see his head to head stats vs his direct opponents this year.

The midfield is in absolute crisis as is the teams' defensive structures.

Conceding 100 points again is just a complete mess.

The team is miles off playing finals, and don't buy into Teagues spin, unless we can find 3 or 4 B grade to A grade guys with the ability to find the footy and use it we will be a 7 to 10 win team for the next few years.

I would love a Grant T era, they were a bloody good side.

I read here that Saad was 41% TOG. Was he injured?

Considering that stat and:

Zac 7 touches
Crippa 15
Cuners 12 (good ones though!)

Other than Curnow and Walsh, no other mid had over 15 touches. Incredible. Most Dogs mids 25 plus touches.

Smashed in centre clearances

So..how on earth did we lead by 27 points late in the 3rd quarter?

Serious question

The dogs mids would get over 20 possessions each in a 150 point thumping, they accumulate like no other club.

As yet, Cuners isn't a full time centre square mid.

Doesnt need to be, im liking the fact teague is putting more players through the middle. If he plays SPS, Dow and Cuningham and they all take their share of the centre bounces then we will improve as a team. I watched cuningham when he was in the middle and he was pretty poor and his man got the ball quite often but thats ok, more learnings out of playing there than not playing there (whiich im prety sure you agree with, im not trying to say your not).

In the light of the day, not really disappointed today. Spewing we lost but showed we were better than them for basically 2.5 qtrs but choked. Thats fine, not acceptable but all learning curves. Its important we play like this against the teams from 6-18 as well and not just the better sides (lesser teams would be 8 goals down rather than 4 or 5). Do that and we win 8 or 9 out of 10 of those games.

And to be fair to teague, one of his better post game press conferences - clearly disappointed and frustrated so was nice to hear.

Back