Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Great Ian

Senior List
Sep 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Stats suggest some crucial players weren’t properly prepared for this game.

Not sure whose fault that is whether it’s the players professionalism or coaching/selection or conditioning staff, but it obviously isn’t up to scratch, once again.

20 yrs on, fans still waiting for Carlton to get their on field act together.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
went to the game yesterday and some real positives in the first 2 and a half quarters - there was some great moments and glimpses of what we could be.

nearly every time something positive happened, seemed like Cuningham was involved - we must persist and get the ball into his hands as much as possible!

clearly mid third quarter the Dogs turned up the pressure and we wilted, started making errors - was hoping the Coach might shake things up to turn the tide but didn't seem to happen. A loss seemed somewhat inevitable from that point.

Williams is a worry, needs to return to the position that made him an excellent player. Why was Saad selected if he wasn't fit? we have done this all season.

Cripps needs a rest and a reset, he's lost it but can get it back.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Doesnt need to be, im liking the fact teague is putting more players through the middle. If he plays SPS, Dow and Cuningham and they all take their share of the centre bounces then we will improve as a team. I watched cuningham when he was in the middle and he was pretty poor and his man got the ball quite often but thats ok, more learnings out of playing there than not playing there (whiich im prety sure you agree with, im not trying to say your not).

No doubt we should persist, but not as a one of the main centre bounce mids. I would use him more as a rotation and or more at round the ground stoppages for now

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
“If we concede a big score, we just have to make sure we kick a bigger score. It’s scores for versus scores against,” Teague said, heading into Sunday’s clash against the Western Bulldogs, who average a league-high 98 points per game."

Nice statement- but we didn't!

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I read here that Saad was 41% TOG. Was he injured?

Considering that stat and:

Zac 7 touches
Crippa 15
Cuners 12 (good ones though!)

Other than Curnow and Walsh, no other mid had over 15 touches. Incredible. Most Dogs mids 25 plus touches.

Smashed in centre clearances

So..how on earth did we lead by 27 points late in the 3rd quarter?

Serious question
Saad was 74% ToG.

We had a purple patch from 5min in the second to late in the third where we kicked 9 goals to 3, at one point I heard the commentators say our DE went up to 90% in the the third.

We had a couple of bad turnovers late in the third which started the rot and let them back in...but the worst thing was we were useless at the centre clearance.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Even if we were, what's the end point of that playstyle? 90s Geelong? Essendon 2013? Teague's attacking philosophy is a dead end.
As an aside how does Teague who played almost his entire career as a defender and kicked a sum total of 6 goals throughout it, end up being a forwards coach (when he came at first to Carlton) and being the proponent of an "offensive philosophy".

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Williams will come good, clearly underdone and lacking touch. Needs to go back to the VFL for 2 or 3 weeks to get fit and get some touch, but it won't happen.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
And where will he play when he comes back?

Blue Chip Pass

All Australian
Apr 20, 2017
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Carlton
We were 25 up and our next 4 shots at goal were points. We just couldn’t kick a settler.

We were so close to breaking them.

Dogs mids def ran through and over us after that. We didn’t man up.

One thing our mids do under pressure is lose their shape. They all collapse in on the ball and inevitably it spilled to an outside Dog.

We just don’t have the real Cripps or Williams right now and it’s hurting us badly.
Excellent post, my thoughts exactly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
As an aside how does Teague who played almost his entire career as a defender and kicked a sum total of 6 goals throughout it, end up being a forwards coach (when he came at first to Carlton) and being the proponent of an "offensive philosophy".

Like the Hawks had Newman as the stoppage coach last year and McCrae as the forwards coach this year?

Doesn't matter where a coach has played

David Sylvian

Club Legend
May 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
If the following players are carrying injuries
Cripps
Casboult
Williams
Saad
Jsos, in game
Then we did an exceptional job. Only exposed in the last quarter as the jabs etc wore off. Just need to rest within rounds as boxers do. My only concern is that Teague knows this, the MC know it but little appears to have been done to counteract it. At three quarter time the coach/leadership team needed to take the responsibility, demonstrate composure and execute the plan as the momentum had clearly swung. We did not.
Apart from that. How good is it to have the best FF in the comp and a resurgent Eddie?
Hats off to Weiters AA without doubt.
Another big test this week.
I hope you all spoiled your mums or remembered them with joy.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He picked up two cheap late possessions, so really he had 7 possessions when the game was on the line, 0 clearances and 1 tackle. Ended the game with the worst stats baring SPS and JSOS for obvious reasons… followed closely by Saad.
In the last quarter he took a mark in f50 where he was in heaps of space. It was because of his lack of workrate.

They cleared the ball and he just stood there for aaout 30seconds not moving at all. Every other player moved around him.

We took possession on the wing and the ball landed in his lap.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
How is John Barker still employed at this club????

I have zero confidence YEARLY... in any area this bloke coaches.

People are questioning Teague but I think he has the tools...still a relatively young, new coach. We've seen glimpses of good play from us during his tenure and we were an absolute joke before he took over. Looking around the league most senior coaches took a few years and some other personnel changes before things clicked...look at Melbourne and Goodwin this year for example. Hardwick took a while and a serious review.

Problem IMO is more our assistants...Barker has been here for too long during a period of crapness. Could make a huge difference if we replace him with a good, senior assistant...I think I remember we were going to bring in Justin Longmuire until he got offered the Freo job? Melbourne and Sydney seem to credit Choco Williams and Don Pyke respectively this year for playing a big role in their improvement...that's the kind of change we need.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Can I have what you’re drinking? We’re currently 3-5 this season and 7-10 last season. Same group but we added 2 pretty good players. 10-15 in the last 2 seasons is a win rate of 40%. We’re a 40% chance to win all of those games unless something fundamentally changes.
That's not how any of that works.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
In the last quarter he took a mark in f50 where he was in heaps of space. It was because of his lack of workrate.

They cleared the ball and he just stood there for aaout 30seconds not moving at all. Every other player moved around him.

We took possession on the wing and the ball landed in his lap.

And then didn't make the distance with the set shot...really disappointing showing from Williams yesterday. The kind of game we needed him to have a big influence as our big money recruit but he didn't contribute at all.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Did anyone notice that Williams take that shot for goal when he had no hope of making the distance.

I think he did it because he was blowing too hard and needed to catch his breath rather than do the team thing and pass it quickly to someone in a better position.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That Stocker turnover in the middle of the ground late in the third...

Man, if we could take that moment back.
It wasn't the kick that killed us, we won the ball back and Stocker had a handball to Cotrell that was behind him. 0.5m towards the boundary and Walsh would have linked up for a I50. The 3 Dogs in the centre of the ground linked up under no pressure and we were unable to defend the kick to Bruce. Sliding doors moment in the game

Back