Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

1 positive I can take is that besides the giant wall Weitering is. Docherty looks like his AA best when he took down the Bont.
Doc is very loose and his man gets involved too much most of the time.

I would like to see him do a job on Petracca this week, follow him everywhere he goes and forget about zoning off.

Ed to Oliver is the other job I think eventuates.

E1Ai1ynVUAAcSGP
Weitbrick robbed.

What might’ve been different had we kicked two goals out of The four behinds in the final quarter?
I suspect a victory!!

And if we hadn't let them kick 5 of the last 6 goals I suspect a victory too.

While the continued lack of score board pressure at crucial times is certainly an issue, the bigger one is multiple goal run ons in every single ******* game.

Not crazy just not far enough as far as fixing on core on ball group goes

Williams becomes a HBF / mid rotation and I would switch Walsh and Ed on to wings to make way for Setterfield and Stocker in the guts ( Cottrell as IC) Walsh and Ed are our two best runners and Ed with a bit of space goes up to average AFL kick instead of below average as an onballer.

Neither Stocker or Setterfield are better HFF options than Cuningham or Fogart- both of whom can also do some on ball rotations as can Williams off HBF.

The only one I have a concern with there is Ed on a wing. While he's fit enough I would question his delivery by foot. I'd look at Newman as an option on the left, apparently played wing a bit at Sydney and seems to have all the tools. Would certainly know how to roll back and defend which would be nice.

Has applied for about 4 other senior coaching role, and because of the closed market in qualified applicants, he got a first interview... and wasn’t invited back for a second. There have been, I think, another 3 senior coaching role over the last couple of years, and as far as I know, he didn’t apply for any of them.

He has reached his current level, despite showing levels of incompetence at the job, because he’s a “good guy” and some degree of loyalty from the club. If he was any good at his job, he’d have been poached away by a more successful club to be a senior assistant coach, or to be the senior coach.

I think at the start of 2020, there was some talk of the AFL creating a job just for him as the international coaching development officer... and then the job just disappeared. And I think he got a 2 year job at the club because his “international“ job disappeared.
The term "rise to level of incompetence" comes to mind.

And if we hadn't let them kick 5 of the last 6 goals I suspect a victory too.

While the continued lack of score board pressure at crucial times is certainly an issue, the bigger one is multiple goal run ons in every single ******* game.
Those two goals would’ve changed the momentum-

The only one I have a concern with there is Ed on a wing. While he's fit enough I would question his delivery by foot. I'd look at Newman as an option on the left, apparently played wing a bit at Sydney and seems to have all the tools. Would certainly know how to roll back and defend which would be nice.

Newman may need some more conditioning / running - pity that there is a VFL bye this week.

Even Teague himself said recently that when we slow it down we don't do it well. (I agree with everything you've said above but I find this comment concerning)

There's a line between backing your plan in and being belligerent in the face of hard evidence that it isn't working and all and sundry can see it isn't and hasn't been working since he took over.

I used the word delusional in relation to Teague last week and it's a pretty strong word but I think it's becoming more and more appropriate.

As you say an easy fix but if the head coach doesn't believe his players can handle tempo play then where the hell are we?
That is why we recruited Saad. He is there to run and carry and show the others how to break up the slow tempo. Not hard to do, but takes courage, especially when you stuff it up.

Probably going to touch on quite a few things that have already been discussed here but...

- We seemingly lost all composure in the back end of the third quarter and the entire last quarter. Not backing off the mark far enough which allowed us to be rushed into dump kicks down the line which was picked off by the doggies
- Absolutely beat up in clearances which put a lot of pressure on the backline. There's only so much that Weitering can withstand
- Defensive running or at least defensive positioning of the midfield was pretty awful. We need to find a better way to combat the opposition running the ball coast-to-coast. This used to be a good strength of ours, or at least our ability to set up behind the ball was. Not quite sure whats changed
- Williams was having a poor game, and we need to be more flexible in our use of him. I think we should've pushed him into the backline to not only get the ball into his hands a bit more but also to release Saad a bit more
- I'm not quite sure what happened but our rotations seemed entirely out of whack. Hopefully that's been addressed
- Just on the Jones discussion and his poor positioning, I think rightly or wrongly that he needs a lot of strong communication around him to hold him accountable but also to utilise his strengths
-

Given the centre clearance differential it's pretty clear one of our problems in coughing up so many inside 50's was the midfield.

I haven't seen any of the game but did we lock it forward well and for long or did it come back out like a rubber ball off a trampoline?

We were going well with it for 3 quarters, bit like the rest of our game (minus centre clearances which sucked the whole game)

Harry's manager: 'You pay $800K per season for 4 big name recruits, none of which have performed. Can't see why you won't pay $900K for Harry on a 6 year contract. Lot's of other clubs that will and offer more.... Sydney comes to mind...

2022 Sam Walsh's manager: He is the most consistent midfielder you have. If those 4 recruits are worth 800K, then my guy is surely worth 8 million over 8 years...

Thing is other clubs have the same salary cap as us, it’s not like they can all go out offering stupid money to all our players.

Stamos.....

Levi/Cripps/Williams/Saad are all playing sore/injured - no doubt Cripps is on pain killers to get through games- he cant bend and cant move into a jog in second half....Williams is moving purely on will power and Levi has been on one leg since round one....

Sometimes injuries are not an excuse- but a 'reason'.... and no there arent a plethora of alternatives in VFL for genuine midfield spots....

The Club is trying to jag a win against Top4 sides to stay in the hunt and rolling the dice on injury V high midfield draft picks that are quite frankly not AFL quality -yet if ever - and that ios not even going near the injury list we have been carrying since before the season even started.

No one wants to hear it - just like no one wanted to hear the fact that Ratts had 12 starting players injured for the much of season 2012.

Things arent as bad as disapointment suggests - with all teh negatives teh dishlickers had to rely on umps to keep them in the game and ,missed easy shots from usual suspects to get away with being able to run over the top of half teh on ball brigade being done by end of Q3.

Play the game again with McGovern/Martin/Fisher/TDK and a fit Cripps/Williams/Levi/Saad and we kill these chest puffing puppies.

You will have to be patient.

Sad but true, I mean you can tell the players play for the coach and are happy, I don’t think there is an issue with effort, we don’t drop our bundle and get flogged.

But yes the high draft picks in vfl which people cry about not getting enough opportunities, the argument falls down in a few areas:

1. They have been given opportunities at senior level and failed, then get dropped and people seem to forget they got the opportunities (and yes they have had games in preferred positions)

2. If these guys were so good they’d be dominating VFL week in and week out, they are not doing this. Guys like setters and Dow seem like above average VFL guys but not even starts at that level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take a deep breath and think about this - despite ALL the BAD Stuff ....despite bad umpiring..despite easy set shot misses over and over again - despite every error made ....

With 7 minutes to go - we were STILL in the lead - just couldnt hang on - missed by .."that" much...
How players are going to handle playing through soreness isnt science it changes week to week...and pften quarter to quarter...coaches dont have perfect vision abotu how well a player9s) is going to handle 'soreness'....in teh game against Doggies- they were wrong by quarter of football.

That is the lens I'm looking through

Yes the don’t play injured players thing is only trotted out when sides lose, winning sides would do it every week too.

2003 GF, half the Brisbane side carrying injuries, I remember thinking they’d get rolled and they flogged collingwood.

Yes the don’t play injured players thing is only trotted out when sides lose, winning sides would do it every week too.

2003 GF, half the Brisbane side carrying injuries, I remember thinking they’d get rolled and they flogged collingwood.

Well, I'm happy to play injured players when we're going for our third straight flag and the players have proven they can win.
Not so much when they're rushed back into a team that's sitting 3-4 and they aren't even close to playing well.

16 point loss not looking so bad :p
Adelaide beat Melbourne, and we could not even come close to Melbourne.
Collingwood should have beaten PA, and again never got close to either of them.
Other teams are improving and we seem to be going backwards.

Back