Opposition Camp Rd 8 What have they done to our great game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

Gold And Black 1977
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
its amazing how every footy fan completely despises all the commentators (and also shows like the footy show).
Why cant the football media just get its act together?
Because they won’t just commentate, like a Martin Tyler or Phil Liggett where the game is the focus.
No pretend fake hype, and NO making themselves the centre of attention.

Daicos Torpedo

Senior List
Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I liked that game.. Bruce should be taken down to a back hypothetical paddock, oh imagine that, he couldn't could he? Well. The bull and Bruce... Duck, don't you wish the bulls name was Cyryl?

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
In case anyone missed it, Lance Franklin was at the game.

Channel 7 only showed that like 100 times.
We get it, he’s there.
To be fair to 7, the Sydney fans wouldn’t know the6 we’re watching Aussie Rules if they didn’t see Franklin.

Deathray

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Essendon confirmed as flaky pretenders for the 15th odd season in a row. Why do the media pump them up every preseason with no basis.

Hong Kong Pie

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, the "100 metre goal" penalty was wonderful to watch - Stringer the first 50 then Smith the 2nd. Funny as hell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

76woodenspooners

Premium Platinum
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
its amazing how every footy fan completely despises all the commentators (and also shows like the footy show).
Why cant the football media just get its act together?
True story ...

... there was a bloke by the name of Murray Walker who was the voice of formula 1. Murray was never a racing driver. He got hysterical on the calls. He constantly made mistakes - identifying the wrong cars and the wrong drivers.

Somebody looked into why he was so popular; and they concluded that the reason was that men (It is a male thing) feel good about themselves when they know and understand more than the commentator does. It’s good for the male ego. We complain about it, but the fact we can complain is a good thing.

Same rationale for Bruce McAvaney - he wouldn’t last 5 minutes in an academic environment where facts and truth and accuracy are important - but Bruce commentating footy provides a wonderful crutch for the male ego.

Alexander323bc

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
True story ...

... there was a bloke by the name of Murray Walker who was the voice of formula 1. Murray was never a racing driver. He got hysterical on the calls. He constantly made mistakes - identifying the wrong cars and the wrong drivers.

Somebody looked into why he was so popular; and they concluded that the reason was that men (It is a male thing) feel good about themselves when they know and understand more than the commentator does. It’s good for the male ego. We complain about it, but the fact we can complain is a good thing.

Same rationale for Bruce McAvaney - he wouldn’t last 5 minutes in an academic environment where facts and truth and accuracy are important - but Bruce commentating footy provides a wonderful crutch for the male ego.
Mate huge difference between the two. Murray Walker was happy to take the piss out of himself. He coined the term murrayisms. Bruce is cringeworthy. We have no alternative. Murray walker was a comedy sensation.

“I don’t make mistakes. I make prophesies which immediately become untrue!”

Pragmatic Shill

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Essendon have a legit case to say the umpires cost them that - Rampe climbing the goal post should have been a free against.

nahnah

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rampe not thinking. He was lucky umpire was paying attention to the player kicking the ball rather than this.

that is 100% a free kick against Rampe (wtf was he even thinking), terrible miss by the umpire

Jen2310

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Very strange. That rule has not been used in like 20 years, umpires probably forgot all about it.

Thatsmyname

All Australian
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even on the radio: oh such and such looks to have hurt himself, what's going on down there doc? not sure, back to you. Well there you have it.

Thedivided

Debutant
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
The afl need to grow a pair and either overturn that result or fine rampe 25,000k that's absolutely ridiculous. The umpiring is terrible also if they umpire knew he shouldn't be up there pay it. Pathetic and I'm a passionate essendon hater so believe me I hate saying it but they were robbed here.

SwanDaneFan1991

All Australian
Jul 20, 2012
Beyond the black stump
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Mate huge difference between the two. Murray Walker was happy to take the piss out of himself. He coined the term murrayisms. Bruce is cringeworthy. We have no alternative. Murray walker was a comedy sensation.

“I don’t make mistakes. I make prophesies which immediately become untrue!”
I guess there is a case for Bruce-isms. Same as Dyer-isms back in the day?

heppell.jpg

Odd to see Heppell grinning like a Cheshire cat. But, he will get his money in the bank, and a participation trophy at the end of the year.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :drunk:

Top Bottom