Oppo Camp Rd 8 What have they done to our great game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
its amazing how every footy fan completely despises all the commentators (and also shows like the footy show).
Why cant the football media just get its act together?
Because they won’t just commentate, like a Martin Tyler or Phil Liggett where the game is the focus.
No pretend fake hype, and NO making themselves the centre of attention.

Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I liked that game.. Bruce should be taken down to a back hypothetical paddock, oh imagine that, he couldn't could he? Well. The bull and Bruce... Duck, don't you wish the bulls name was Cyryl?

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Carlton dead last on the ladder now.

At least they'll have the number one pick...

tenor.gif

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Essendon confirmed as flaky pretenders for the 15th odd season in a row. Why do the media pump them up every preseason with no basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its amazing how every footy fan completely despises all the commentators (and also shows like the footy show).
Why cant the football media just get its act together?

True story ...

... there was a bloke by the name of Murray Walker who was the voice of formula 1. Murray was never a racing driver. He got hysterical on the calls. He constantly made mistakes - identifying the wrong cars and the wrong drivers.

Somebody looked into why he was so popular; and they concluded that the reason was that men (It is a male thing) feel good about themselves when they know and understand more than the commentator does. It’s good for the male ego. We complain about it, but the fact we can complain is a good thing.

Same rationale for Bruce McAvaney - he wouldn’t last 5 minutes in an academic environment where facts and truth and accuracy are important - but Bruce commentating footy provides a wonderful crutch for the male ego.

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
True story ...

... there was a bloke by the name of Murray Walker who was the voice of formula 1. Murray was never a racing driver. He got hysterical on the calls. He constantly made mistakes - identifying the wrong cars and the wrong drivers.

Somebody looked into why he was so popular; and they concluded that the reason was that men (It is a male thing) feel good about themselves when they know and understand more than the commentator does. It’s good for the male ego. We complain about it, but the fact we can complain is a good thing.

Same rationale for Bruce McAvaney - he wouldn’t last 5 minutes in an academic environment where facts and truth and accuracy are important - but Bruce commentating footy provides a wonderful crutch for the male ego.
Mate huge difference between the two. Murray Walker was happy to take the piss out of himself. He coined the term murrayisms. Bruce is cringeworthy. We have no alternative. Murray walker was a comedy sensation.

“I don’t make mistakes. I make prophesies which immediately become untrue!”

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Even on the radio: oh such and such looks to have hurt himself, what's going on down there doc? not sure, back to you. Well there you have it.

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
The afl need to grow a pair and either overturn that result or fine rampe 25,000k that's absolutely ridiculous. The umpiring is terrible also if they umpire knew he shouldn't be up there pay it. Pathetic and I'm a passionate essendon hater so believe me I hate saying it but they were robbed here.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
The afl need to grow a pair and either overturn that result or fine rampe 25,000k that's absolutely ridiculous. The umpiring is terrible also if they umpire knew he shouldn't be up there pay it. Pathetic and I'm a passionate essendon hater so believe me I hate saying it but they were robbed here.
Yeah, I laughed too.

2 laughing.jpg

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Mate huge difference between the two. Murray Walker was happy to take the piss out of himself. He coined the term murrayisms. Bruce is cringeworthy. We have no alternative. Murray walker was a comedy sensation.

“I don’t make mistakes. I make prophesies which immediately become untrue!”
I guess there is a case for Bruce-isms. Same as Dyer-isms back in the day?

heppell.jpg

Odd to see Heppell grinning like a Cheshire cat. But, he will get his money in the bank, and a participation trophy at the end of the year.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back