Oppo Camp Rd 8 What have they done to our great game?

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
its amazing how every footy fan completely despises all the commentators (and also shows like the footy show).
Why cant the football media just get its act together?

As an American, I actually love your commentary and commentators. Even (at risk of being banned) the Taylor McAveny duo. (And Dennis Cometti too). It’s light years better than Us commentary and I think the biggest thing is Bruce and Brian, even if they sound like idiots sometimes generally LOVE footy and carry that passion to the games.

If afl had been introduced to me with us commentators I would not have gotten into it.

So honest question, what is so off-putting about them?

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
As an American, I actually love your commentary and commentators. Even (at risk of being banned) the Taylor McAveny duo. (And Dennis Cometti too). It’s light years better than Us commentary and I think the biggest thing is Bruce and Brian, even if they sound like idiots sometimes generally LOVE footy and carry that passion to the games.

If afl had been introduced to me with us commentators I would not have gotten into it.

I'm with you on that re.. I reckon Bruce and Brian are funny buggers.. for a s**t load of reasons and that re.

There's a difference between radio and tv commentary. Cause tv is visual.. there isn't this need to give a description of every play.. have a few laughs and be a lil silly and that re.. we can see what's going on with our own eyes re.. I would actually find it annoying if they did commentate purely about the football.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess there is a case for Bruce-isms. Same as Dyer-isms back in the day?

View attachment 671292

Odd to see Heppell grinning like a Cheshire cat. But, he will get his money in the bank, and a participation trophy at the end of the year.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :drunk:
Noticed that as well last night. And Meyers little wink after the siren went. Maybe they had a quid on the Swans ;)

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess there is a case for Bruce-isms. Same as Dyer-isms back in the day?

View attachment 671292

Odd to see Heppell grinning like a Cheshire cat. But, he will get his money in the bank, and a participation trophy at the end of the year.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :drunk:
Jack Dyer (nor Lou Richards) never took themselves seriously - mangled the language and had a laugh. McAvaney has just enough knowledge to make him a gigantic bore and embarrassment.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
5EBE0DEF-7510-48FB-BCFE-0C8C1DC1C60E.jpeg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn’t watch the end of the game. The fact that Essendon were robbed of a win by that non-decision against Rampe just makes the Bombers loss even funnier to me.

At least they have a legit complaint this time.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
Trust Essendon to step up against us and play **** ever since.

More of a case of they’ve used up all their tickets trying to beat us. Must have taken what little they had out of their season. Good to see essendrugs suffering again.

Boooooooooooooooooooooo

Mate huge difference between the two. Murray Walker was happy to take the piss out of himself. He coined the term murrayisms. Bruce is cringeworthy. We have no alternative. Murray walker was a comedy sensation.

“I don’t make mistakes. I make prophesies which immediately become untrue!”

Sure, I don’t disagree with any of that.

My point still stands but.

There’s a reason why McAvaney does more TV commentating than Whately
And there’s a reason why Murray Walker was the voice of F1 and Martin Brundle wasn’t

There were 2 shots for goal in last night's match taken after a siren, from outside 50m - one to win the match, for God's sake - and neither of the players felt comfortable or confident enough in their skills to kick a torpedo punt.

WHY THE HELL DON'T PLAYERS IN OUR GAME PRACTISE AND USE THE TORPEDO. IT CAN WIN GAMES AND IS BEAUTIFUL TO WATCH!

[My consolation in this case is that the one that counted most was an Essendon player, and it cost him and his team the match (Rampe idiotic actions notwithstanding).]

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
There were 2 shots for goal in last night's match taken after a siren, from outside 50m - one to win the match, for God's sake - and neither of the players felt comfortable or confident enough in their skills to kick a torpedo punt.

WHY THE HELL DON'T PLAYERS IN OUR GAME PRACTISE AND USE THE TORPEDO. IT CAN WIN GAMES AND IS BEAUTIFUL TO WATCH!

[My consolation in this case is that the one that counted most was an Essendon player, and it cost him and his team the match (Rampe idiotic actions notwithstanding).]
Daics would have drilled both of them.

Jun 1, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

- Tired old cliches
- False excitement and outrage / shouting instead of using words (eg Huddo)
- So much groupthink
- Puffed up controversy and trying to make tabloid stories
- Always saying the same stuff over and other (eg "American Pie")
- Rarely insightful into the strategies and trends of the game
- Boys club inside jokes. Feels like its all about them and not the game or the listener
- consistent bias, not even disguised. Id prefer they just owned it and said they were barracking and then we could design the panel accordingly
- I would prefer we were allowed to have our own emotional reaction to the game rather than the commentators enforce what they think is the appropriate emotional response throughout the match

I was a big fan of Cometti, and he was a great example of how it should be done. I also like the Martin Tyler EPL style. I would like to hear the game called by someone articulate and descriptive. Look, my bar is not that high, they don't have to be a bloody poet! (although maybe that would be worth a try. It is about oratory skills, perhaps someone who has read a book would have an advantage here)

For us Stephenson and Maynard have both got onto great torps in the pre-game warm ups, so at least we won't die wondering.

shizzle

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just love how Dwayne Russell and others go completely overboard every time a team scores over 100 points, and proclaim the wonders of the 666 and all the other rule changes our lord and saviour Gil has bestowed upon us.

But for all the games that are a low scoring slog, that are about as exciting as 100 year old snatch, they remain absolutely silent.

Thought Melbourne where off to falls creek early, but just have to wait one more week it seems
Like what the suns are finally building.now are on the right track

Back