Game Day Rd 9 - Brisbane v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, you'd think we were a developing side who aren't yet at the level of consistency to play at our best for four quarters every week by reading this thread.

My thoughts about where the boys are at was not altered even slightly by tonight's match. Par for the course, I might even say. Some people are seriously impatient.

Jesus, you'd think we were a developing side who aren't yet at the level of consistency to play at our best for four quarters every week by reading this thread.

My thoughts about where the boys are at was not altered even slightly by tonight's match. Par for the course, I might even say. Some people are seriously impatient.
The expectations grew far to quickly after the Essendon win.

Well said, PK.

Yeah, it's about you not having the stones to put your real team under your name when you troll. You just outed yourself on the bay.

Grow a pair you frightened little squib.

Sorted, mate.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in here is Brown giving away that 50 in the last quarter. At the time we had them under a sustained spell of pressure in their defensive 50 - for 3 or 4 minutes at this point - and Brown stupidly stepping over the mark gave them an out.

That was almost the point when we lost the game, because I really thought the pressure was going to pay off with a goal or two but instead we give them the ball back and they instantly go up the other end and score.

I've just woken up and I'm in a place called Yepoon. Don't know how I got here. Need directions back to Melbourne. I think we lost. K. Rudd came and sat next to us and a group of indigenous kiddies and then the lights went out. Was it a close finish?

Sometimes I am not sure if the people on these threads were at the same game as me. Sometimes there is no choice but to watch it on tv but honestly if you were there it was a fairly good quality game, save for the set shot goal kicking from both sides.

Carlton aren't going to win the comp and neither are we, but that individual game both sides wanted to win. They used their height up forward to make the difference and won centre clearances but we took it to them all night. I didn't see a single player of ours who was't trying his heart out.

The game showed we are improving, but exactly that, improving but not there yet. The patch in the second quarter shows how good we can be. With more improvement will come consistency and the ability to turn it on more often.

I've just woken up and I'm in a place called Yepoon. Don't know how I got here. Need directions back to Melbourne. I think we lost. K. Rudd came and sat next to us and a group of indigenous kiddies and then the lights went out. Was it a close finish?
Two pot screamer hey 3KZ.:p
What did you do with your shorts and you beer goggles?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in here is Brown giving away that 50 in the last quarter. At the time we had them under a sustained spell of pressure in their defensive 50 - for 3 or 4 minutes at this point - and Brown stupidly stepping over the mark gave them an out.

That was almost the point when we lost the game, because I really thought the pressure was going to pay off with a goal or two but instead we give them the ball back and they instantly go up the other end and score.

Honestly, he might've put half a foot over the mark. I thought that was an extraordinarily tough decision.

I suspect it wouldn't have been made if Waite hadn't given one away a minute earlier at the other end, but there was a huge contrast between the two forwards' actions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, he might've put half a foot over the mark. I thought that was an extraordinarily tough decision.

I suspect it wouldn't have been made if Waite hadn't given one away a minute earlier at the other end, but there was a huge contrast between the two forwards' actions.
It was more than half a foot and was a fair decision. In a night of lots of confusing umpiring calls, that one was an easy one.

Two pot screamer hey 3KZ.:p
What did you do with your shorts and you beer goggles?
That's the funny thing, I can't find either. Get me out of QLD and back to Melbourne and the quiet life!

Two things learned from this game, most on here only look at small parts of the team when making calls about things such as - moving player "b" to help player "a", & not thinking about the holes or the "+ 1's" created by moving to double team etc., or how player "a" has been playing the same game for umpteen years & is expected to magically change in one game, or how the coaching staff haven't come up with a plan during the week, 'cause maybe we don't have a spare fullback to take up the slack, so in general the first thing learned is most are just reactionary to the small things, myself included.

Second thing learned is that Ceebee must sleep post!

Two things learned from this game, most on here only look at small parts of the team when making calls about things such as - moving player "b" to help player "a", & not thinking about the holes or the "+ 1's" created by moving to double team etc., or how player "a" has been playing the same game for umpteen years & is expected to magically change in one game, or how the coaching staff haven't come up with a plan during the week, 'cause maybe we don't have a spare fullback to take up the slack, so in general the first thing learned is most are just reactionary to the small things, myself included.

Second thing learned is that Ceebee must sleep post!
Aaah ,you know how it is with women,got to have the last word:D

I'd say more like knee jerk joy and gloom merchants.

On the balance of play I wouldn't say we served to win.

But geeze it sucks when it still feels like we could have if not for terrible umpiring.

The Blues terrible kicking for goal put us in with a chance... But then we responded in kind. Bah...

Was really hoping that MacLean going off in the fourth was going to allow Moloney to start dominating again... Unfortunately there wasn't as much extra time on the clock as i thought.

Home ground advantage should have been enough there... But it never really feels like we have one.

I sat in the middle of the Carlton cheer squad last night, at time it was tough an at times it was very enjoyable. In the end though it was a tough.

Having said that I came away from the game with renewed confidence and hope for the team. Against the eagles we got by on determination against the bombers a little better skill wise and determination. Last night it was clearly evident what our game plan was and what we are trying to do. Which for me is a massive improvement on this time last year.

You can see the guys implementing the plan, you can see the improved skills. We are addressing the clearance issues and our running game is improving.

No doubt Merrett was a big out, at the same time it was very evident after 5mins Waite was a problem. I thought we took to long to react to that. Staker was pushed back to loose man in defense half way through the 2nd quarter, that was about the time things turned around for us. Should have made this move earlier. We won the game from the point onward.

With Merrett and Rick back in we win that game. Things are looking up.

I sat in the middle of the Carlton cheer squad last night, at time it was tough an at times it was very enjoyable. In the end though it was a tough.

Having said that I came away from the game with renewed confidence and hope for the team. Against the eagles we got by on determination against the bombers a little better skill wise and determination. Last night it was clearly evident what our game plan was and what we are trying to do. Which for me is a massive improvement on this time last year.

You can see the guys implementing the plan, you can see the improved skills. We are addressing the clearance issues and our running game is improving.

No doubt Merrett was a big out, at the same time it was very evident after 5mins Waite was a problem. I thought we took to long to react to that. Staker was pushed back to loose man in defense half way through the 2nd quarter, that was about the time things turned around for us. Should have made this move earlier. We won the game from the point onward.

With Merrett and Rick back in we win that game. Things are looking up.

At the same time though our guys lack composure they really can look like a deer in the headlights and at times make the easy look difficult. Young team under the pump after a slow start I guess, gives them the feeling of being on the knife's edge.

Yup, still a lot of fresh faces out there, and they will lack the skill, experience and composure to do the right things. All these things will improve over time, as long as the foundation put in place is solid, improvement will come with age, fitness and experience. Someone like Lester who has done a great job in the middle so far, i do think he is starting to run out of gas a bit. Midfield at AFL level is a huge step up, and this is pretty much his first year in that role. Players like him who have been good, still need a few more preseason to really get the body up to scratch.

But i think the hardness, the fight, and the game plan in place are all sound. It is just our ability to execute it, and do it for 4 quarters, as well as adjusting to the game tempo that we lack at times. We were only 2 goals down near the end, yet we still pushed to hard through the middle and kicked to the wrong longer contest. We should have been lowering the eyes a bit more, keeping control of the ball and not turning it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back