Preview Rd 9 Carlton v Melbourne, MCG, Sunday May 16, 3.20pm - Team - Post #700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
We are playing exciting, not winning football, won’t cut it against Melbourne as Lever and May with give H all he can handle and their midfield bats deep. A shootout won’t cut it but, we have proven we can’t slog for 4 quarter. Not optimistic this week and our 2021 campaign will likely be officially shot.
Hopefully this game is a replica of the Geelong game last year. Backs against wall. Strong team. And we annihilate them for 3 quarters. Or maybe we just had that game and dogs just got there whereas Geelong missed a few gettable late to give us the game.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Murphy (neck) Curnow Martin
Fisher McGovern JSOS

Other than McKay...how are we functioning with our entire forwardline out, and Casboult draining his knee each week.

We have other issues, I dont deny this...but injuries are also playing a part!

Every team has injuries but they effect some more than others and they're certainly effecting us..

However the Bulldogs were without their two ruckmen on Sunday and still won the centre clearances 23-7, lets let that sink in.

Don't think our forwardline or our backline cost us that win.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Every team has injuries but they effect some more than others and they're certainly effecting us..

However the Bulldogs were without their two ruckmen on Sunday and still won the centre clearances 23-7, lets let that sink in.

Don't think our forwardline or our backline cost us that win.

It was such a discrete part of the game but the JSOS and Fog misses in the second quartet really hurt from a momentum perspective. We really need to take our chances more often.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't keep playing SPS as the sub, MC needs to make the call on whether he's in the 22 or in the reserves for a full game to work on [whatever].

Honey as a straight swap for JSOS could well be worth a look, but would probably prefer TDK so that he and Pitto can tag team Gawn.

Murph for Gibbons is probably the right move at the moment, though Fogarty might benefit from a week off so he'd be a possible out instead.

Conservative option:
TDK for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons

Bold option:
TDK for Casboult
Honey for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons
Honey for Fogarty

Subject to fitness:
Setters or Dow for Williams

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't keep playing SPS as the sub, MC needs to make the call on whether he's in the 22 or in the reserves for a full game to work on [whatever].

Honey as a straight swap for JSOS could well be worth a look, but would probably prefer TDK so that he and Pitto can tag team Gawn.

Murph for Gibbons is probably the right move at the moment, though Fogarty might benefit from a week off so he'd be a possible out instead.

Conservative option:
TDK for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons

Bold option:
TDK for Casboult
Honey for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons
Honey for Fogarty

Subject to fitness:
Setters or Dow for Williams

I haven't seen Honey and would like the chance to get a look at him but, as I said in an earlier post, Kennedy is the one that I think should replace Jack. A similar player with the added bonus of being that bigger body in the middle allowing us to swap he and Cripps between the forwardline and centre.

As for the unnecessary changes, as always I'll leave that to the M/C.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I haven't seen Honey and would like the chance to get a look at him but, as I said in an earlier post, Kennedy is the one that I think should replace Jack. A similar player with the added bonus of being that bigger body in the middle allowing us to swap he and Cripps between the forwardline and centre.

As for the unnecessary changes, as always I'll leave that to the M/C.

I don't think Kennedy brings the pressure that Honey does, up forward at least.

As you said, the bigger body to rotate through the middle might be beneficial, but I don't think we're lacking in that department as is. Might almost be overkill.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think Kennedy brings the pressure that Honey does, up forward at least.

As you said, the bigger body to rotate through the middle might be beneficial, but I don't think we're lacking in that department as is. Might almost be overkill.

Beg to differ a little, 23-7 centre clearances last week seems to indicate that we're lacking something on the ball, particularly when we were rucking against someone playing his second game. Not totally convinced that's Kennedy but his versatility puts him in my drivers seat. I haven't seen a lot wrong with his pressure once fit but admit he does lack a little pace, then again, pace isn't Jack's strong point either.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Beg to differ a little, 23-7 centre clearances last week seems to indicate that we're lacking something on the ball, particularly when we were rucking against someone playing his second game. Not totally convinced that's Kennedy but his versatility puts him in my drivers seat. I haven't seen a lot wrong with his pressure once fit but admit he does lack a little pace, then again, pace isn't Jack's strong point either.

Yeah, just not sure that Kennedy adds what our midfield group needs - he's another ball winner who doesn't offer much on the spread and doesn't apply much defensive pressure.

Would rather play Honey purely forward and up Cuningham's midfield time.

Bryce Bubbles

All Australian
Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t think that there’s any romanticizing of Silvagni family name intended , Jack is tenacious hard working footballer, his determination to chase / win the ball is contagious and of course he bleeds Blue.
I’m certain the downward spiral began after he was taken from the field.
Your comments are kind of romantic Re Silvagni. He had 5 touches in three quarters. Hardly impacting the game. Plus two misses some would say if he nailed these we could have built a bigger lead and had more belief to hold on?

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Your comments are kind of romantic Re Silvagni. He had 5 touches in three quarters. Hardly impacting the game. Plus two misses some would say if he nailed these we could have built a bigger lead and had more belief to hold on?
I don't think anyone is suggesting he's a star, but you can't deny his effort plays do have an impact. Just watch the game and you can see the influence he has when in a contest even though he doesn't get the stat for it.

He definitely needs to finish those goals, though. Especially when they're that easy. Similar to Fog I think they both actually wanted to pass it off and were caught in between. If you're open and in space 20m from goal, just kick the bloody goal.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s why it’s important to have 2 options to battle Gawn.
Pitt & TDK will play this week and Casboult will be rested, knee is shot.

Come on, this is a cop out. And I'll tell you why.

Start of the last quarter was not too bad from us.

Harry creates a contest on the wing, ball drops to Betts, goes to Williams dishes off a hand ball to Levi i50, now for a guy with a shot knee, he sidesteps and kicks it straight to dogs.

Now, if you're knee is shot, you're not doing any fancy sidesteps and at the very least, you'd be looking to hand ball. He had Fogarty on his own who would have run in and most likely nailed the goal.

Then about 1 minute later he gets an opportunity with a set shot and misses. Ok, wasn't an easy shot, but much like the snap in the 2nd quarter, he didn't miss because of injury, he missed because that's the story of his career.

Then he comes up the wing and does a spinning pirouette... with a shot knee? Not a chance. The mistake comes from his hand ball that missed Plowman by about 3 metres when he had Cottrell to his left.

Or take the last couple mins in the 2nd quarter, does well to get down low and gather a ground ball, then performs another sidestep (no way he does this with a shot knee), before deciding that it would be best to kick across the centre of the defensive 50 and missed his target in Weitering and put him under enormous pressure. I mean come on. Let's just say for argument sake that his knee is shot even though it clearly isn't, why late in the 2nd quarter when we have the momentum would you kick into such a dangerous area unless you've got a team mate completely free? You wouldn't do it if you're 100% let alone if you're kicking is hampered by a dodgy knee.... It's just mind boggling how dumb he is.

His decision making and execution is killing us and this shot knee story is just an excuse when he's out there sidestepping and pirouetting his way around the ground. I don't think he's playing pain free, but it's definitely manageable and not the cause of his mistakes.

It's nothing personal, fwiw, I think he's a great character, very loyal club man. This is based purely on his ability to play football at AFL level.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Come on, this is a cop out. And I'll tell you why.

Start of the last quarter was not too bad from us.

Harry creates a contest on the wing, ball drops to Betts, goes to Williams dishes off a hand ball to Levi i50, now for a guy with a shot knee, he sidesteps and kicks it straight to dogs.

Now, if you're knee is shot, you're not doing any fancy sidesteps and at the very least, you'd be looking to hand ball. He had Fogarty on his own who would have run in and most likely nailed the goal.

Then about 1 minute later he gets an opportunity with a set shot and misses. Ok, wasn't an easy shot, but much like the snap in the 2nd quarter, he didn't miss because of injury, he missed because that's the story of his career.

Then he comes up the wing and does a spinning pirouette... with a shot knee? Not a chance. The mistake comes from his hand ball that missed Plowman by about 3 metres when he had Cottrell to his left.

Or take the last couple mins in the 2nd quarter, does well to get down low and gather a ground ball, then performs another sidestep (no way he does this with a shot knee), before deciding that it would be best to kick across the centre of the defensive 50 and missed his target in Weitering and put him under enormous pressure. I mean come on. Let's just say for argument sake that his knee is shot even though it clearly isn't, why late in the 2nd quarter when we have the momentum would you kick into such a dangerous area unless you've got a team mate completely free? You wouldn't do it if you're 100% let alone if you're kicking is hampered by a dodgy knee.... It's just mind boggling how dumb he is.

His decision making and execution is killing us and this shot knee story is just an excuse when he's out there sidestepping and pirouetting his way around the ground. I don't think he's playing pain free, but it's definitely manageable and not the cause of his mistakes.

It's nothing personal, fwiw, I think he's a great character, very loyal club man. This is based purely on his ability to play football at AFL level.
Perhaps shot was the wrong term, but it ain’t good and impacts his ability to train and build fitness which in turn hampers his performance.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps shot was the wrong term, but it ain’t good and impacts his ability to train and build fitness which in turn hampers his performance.

I gave you a bunch of examples where he's moving on his knee with flexibility and planting on it.

His performance is not being hampered by his knee. It's hampered by the fact that he is a limited footballer and struggles to make good decisions particularly under pressure.

If anything is shot, it's his confidence. Happens to a lot of players when they reach past 30 years of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back