Preview Rd 9 Carlton v Melbourne, MCG, Sunday May 16, 3.20pm - Team - Post #700

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's nowhere near as tall as those guys. He's a medium forward at best.
A link up half forward flanker... the type of guy who roams up to the wing to link up with the winger as we "transition" out of defence. Right before we turn it over and the ball goes back over our heads for the opposition to score.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
OUT: Gibbons, Newnes, Casboult, JSOS, Cottrell
IN: Murphy, Ramsay, TDK, Dow, O'Brien

FB:
Plowman Jones Parks
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Walsh E.Curnow Williams
HF: Murphy TDK Cuningham
FF: Owies McKay Betts

R: Pittonet Cripps Dow

Int:
Stocker, Fogarty, Ramsay, O'Brien

- Move Williams and Walsh to play predominantly off the wing at centre bounces
- Centre bounce rotation of Cripps, Dow, E.Curnow, Cuningham, Murphy, Ramsay, Stocker, Owies (I'm assuming here that Owies has actually trained stoppages)
- Key forward rotation of TDK, McKay, Cripps
- Walsh, O'Brien, Stocker and Williams to take turns supporting the defence
- Cover for the lack of a third tall by using the available mobility and foot skills to open the forward line; straddle our forward transition along the centre square edge to open things up wide and through the corridor

There has to be an emphasis of identifying one key contested midfielder in each stoppage look (typically Cripps), with everyone else seeking to be either directly bodying an opponent, having touch with an opponent at pace, or moving into space to receive at full pace. If the centre square mix does not allow for this, it shouldn't be used.

If Gawn is utterly dominant at the bounce, then and only then should they be looking to mark zonally, but it needs to again be built around one key contested mid, with the other two moving around the centre circle edge in order to appropriately read and react to whether they need to break into space to receive or collapse into a channel/opponent.

Saad, O'Brien and Walsh and Williams to come in late off the edge to do what they do best. Happy for Walsh and Williams to be closer to the bubble at some general stoppages, particularly Walsh, but he is a liability at the centre bounce due to his poor first step should he need to close anyone down or burst into space. We need their ability to cover territory to help our defensive structure, but also to open up opposition zones, both in and out of possession.

Mobility and buying space for execution by foot are paramount here, but it must be through putting team mates into space with possession. If a player is inside the contest, they need to try to take first or second option, then stay mobile but don't motor away until they've identified the next opposition threat to a team mate isn't in their area.

If they can't figure out where to go, they need to at least disrupt the opposition ball movement or player movement by getting their body in the way of something... they can't become passive. Space or time they buy for their team mate to make an offensive or defensive play will add up through the course of the game and create more opportunities for the team in critical moments.

No one gives a s**t about a player's pressure acts if they don't force the opposition to exert themselves or make a mistake, so why not make less efforts that are more considerable, than more efforts that are not? Everyone should be picking their moments better, or instead maybe they can think back on how they could have done it better when they're playing for a cheque in the ammos.

Last edited:

OldCarltonKnows

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2012
Cheltenham
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
After the failure, yet again, of our midfleid under pressure (not the Queen/Bowie song). I think that we definitely need to make a couple of changes.

B: Williams, Weitering, Doc
HB: Parks, Jones, Plowman
C: Walsh, Cuningham, Williamson
Fol: TDK, Setterfield, Dow
HF: Honey, Casboult, Kennedy
F: Owies, McKay, Betts

IC: Ed, Stocker, Fogarty, Cotterell

Outs: Pittonet (Managed), Cripps (managed), Saad (managed), JSOS (Concussion), Gibbons (omitted), Newnes (Omitted)
Ins: TDK, Setterfield, Williamson, Kennedy, Honey, Dow

Will we win... maybe, maybe not. I'd say TDK for Casboult, but Pittonet needs a period of R&R. Cripps and Saad are playing hurt and need a rest. JSOS is just pure bad luck. Honey has been kicking braces of goals in the VFL for fun it seems, time to see what he offers instead of Gibbons. And time to see what Williamson can offer as a link up winger.
There is no way Williamson plays seniors next week after his sub-par performance in the VFL today (and in recent weeks too). Talk about rewarding mediocrity; not how a winning team culture is formed.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
There is no way Williamson plays seniors next week after his sub-par performance in the VFL today (and in recent weeks too). Talk about rewarding mediocrity; not how a winning team culture is formed.
Are we blaming Williamson for not marking the ball when it's floated up and he has to stare at the sun in order to mark it?

I'm not picking him on the performance, but he's building, and I believe was one of our leading possession winners.

OldCarltonKnows

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2012
Cheltenham
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Are we blaming Williamson for not marking the ball when it's floated up and he has to stare at the sun in order to mark it?

I'm not picking him on the performance, but he's building, and I believe was one of our leading possession winners.
So Jimmae do you genuinely believe Williamson warrants a recall to the senior side after today’s 4 quarter performance?

IMO, no way.

BIuebagger

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
In: Not losing if we are 5 goals up and full 4 quarter effort

Out: Conceding 5+ goal runs and no solidarity/want to bring home 4 pts/finish the job

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone who wants to drop Stocker and bring in Williamson must watch be watching a different sport to me.
I applaud Willo for getting back on the park after his horror run with injury, but in my (admittedly untrained) opinion he is not AFL standard in any capacity.
Needs to iron out a tonne of mistakes - most of which are unforced - and learn his limitations. Stocker is far from perfect, but I’ll take his effort and endeavour over Williamson every day of the week - even if Stocker is currently being played out of his most effective position.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
In: O'Brien, McDonald, Setterfield, SPS, Dow
Out: Cottrell, Casboult, Gibbons, Newnes, Silvagni (inj.)

B: Plowman---------------Jones------------------Parks

H: Williams--------------Weitering---------------Saad

C: Docherty---------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham-----------McDonald-------------SPS

F: Betts-------------------McKay-----------------Owies

Foll: Pittonet, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: E.Curnow, Stocker, Dow, Fogarty
I’d rather bring Charlie in to play chf.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
So after a promising start it's taken us less than half a season to Carlton-ise Fogarty. :(

Williams was much quicker. Saad on and off, we are still working on that one.

Out: Williams, SOS, Cripps (all injured), Newnes & Gibbons (omitted)
In: I don't care right now...

Last edited:

jelly

Senior List
Oct 20, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
In: O'Brien, McDonald, Setterfield, SPS, Dow
Out: Cottrell, Casboult, Gibbons, Newnes, Silvagni (inj.)

B: Plowman---------------Jones------------------Parks

H: Williams--------------Weitering---------------Saad

C: Docherty---------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham-----------McDonald-------------SPS

F: Betts-------------------McKay-----------------Owies

Foll: Pittonet, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: E.Curnow, Stocker, Dow, Fogarty
No Marchbank?

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Out: Casboult, Gibbons, Williams, Silvagni

In: DeKoning, Murphy, Setterfield, Honey

I'd drop Williams for Setterfield, needs a good wakeup call, as a mid he's not as good as who we have in the twos.

Murphy I'm not wrapped in but he's better than Gibbons. Honey to replace Silvagni and give us some physicality and speed. A half fit DeKoning will do more than Casboult.

SPS back to VFL, sub Kennedy or whoever.

Tough game coming up.

Need to play one on one pressure footy in the midfield.

Last edited:
Is JSOS really concussed or a victim of laying down too long....
Be interesting to see how his evaluation goes in the next 24 hrs.

They didn't even test him. Considering the 12 day compulsory break, this seems to be unprofessional.

A winning culture is created by trying every possibly combination.. and actually you know... winning games. And if you notice, I said it is time to see what Williamson can offer as a link up winger. People have said in the past that they would like to see Williamson on the wing. Why not try it. A lot of people obviously expect that we aren't going to win next week... so roll the dice and see what happens if we change things up a bit.

I guess you're one of the guys who loves having a whipping boy and flogging him regularly.

Out: Casboult

In: DeKoning

Murphy probably in for concussed Silvagni.

I'd drop Williams for Setterfield too, needs a good wakeup call, as a mid he's not as good as who we have in the twos.

Tough game coming up.

Need to play one on one pressure footy in the midfield.
Kennedy for JSOS. We need to apply pressure to the opposition and get them to drop their bundle first... instead of having our midfield drop their guts all over the place like that heavyweight weightlifter that the 12th man talks about, Popavalium Andropov!

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Kennedy for JSOS. We need to apply pressure to the opposition and get them to drop their bundle first... instead of having our midfield drop their guts all over the place like that heavyweight weightlifter that the 12th man talks about, Popavalium Andropov!

I changed my post, what about Honey for Silvagni? Let's see the physicality and speed we're hearing about?

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
A winning culture is created by trying every possibly combination.. and actually you know... winning games. And if you notice, I said it is time to see what Williamson can offer as a link up winger. People have said in the past that they would like to see Williamson on the wing. Why not try it. A lot of people obviously expect that we aren't going to win next week... so roll the dice and see what happens if we change things up a bit.

I guess you're one of the guys who loves having a whipping boy and flogging him regularly.
Unfortunately, Williamson was being played a bit on the wing leading up to him being dropped... he wasn't reading the game well from there, and he wasn't able to recover to help the team's defensive shape when we turned it over.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
They didn't even test him. Considering the 12 day compulsory break, this seems to be unprofessional.
I see the North & Collingwood players who clashed heads yesterday have been given the clearance from AFL to play next week. Hopefully Jack is cleared as well.

I changed my post, what about Honey for Silvagni? Let's see the physicality and speed we're hearing about?
Honey for Gibbons IMO... Gibbo has been slacking off for the last 2-3 weeks and last week against the bombers, he squibbed a number of contests. Honey has been scoring for fun in the last 3 games in the VFL. I think a brace a week from a half forward flanker is a good return. We brought in Owies and he's been good so far. I've loved his work rate (keeps popping up in our defence helping out with goal saving tackles or making sure that the ball is going through for a behind, rushed or otherwise). If Honey can bring the same work rate... we've got a winner there.

Unfortunately, Williamson was being played a bit on the wing leading up to him being dropped... he wasn't reading the game well from there, and he wasn't able to recover to help the team's defensive shape when we turned it over.
Unfortunately, I would probably put that down to our dodgy midfield structures more than his ability. I will admit that he hasn't been the same player since his first injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back