Preview Rd 9 Carlton v Melbourne, MCG, Sunday May 16, 3.20pm - Team - Post #700

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think Dow is worthy of another crack in the 1’s? I thought he started really well the other week before going down injured, looked as though he might have gone on to have the so-called “breakout” game we’ve been seeking. Not sure who would go out for him, unless Cripps or Williams are managed.

I wish I could say I thought we were going to win but it's hard for me to believe that a team that has won 8 straight will drop their first game against Carlton.

Hope and pray I am wrong.

Let's channel the Blues side of 1991, Round 13.

Faced an Eagles side sitting on top of the ladder with an 11-0 record and a percentage of 184.7.

Beat them by 3 points, I think with a Simon Minton-Connell goal.

This was the same side that only 2 weeks earlier scored their only goal against the Dogs in the last minute of play for a 1.10.16 total.

Yes our best is actually good. But we don't do it for long enough and when the other team is on top we leak far too many goals and it's a consistent theme.

The fact we CAN play good footy that beats the best teams though is a good sign.
I actually think we play our best for long enough it’s just our worst patches are far too long and concede too much ground in terms of scores against.

Need to shorten the gap between best & worst and minimise the damage on the scoreboard when we lose momentum.

There isn’t that many times in a season teams play 4 quarters of good football otherwise we would see many more 70-100pt margins.

Last edited:

Faced an Eagles side sitting on top of the ladder with an 11-0 record and a percentage of 184.7.

This was the same side that only 2 weeks earlier scored their only goal against the Dogs in the last minute of play for a 1.10.16 total.
Remember it well

OUT: Cottrell,SPS,Casboult,Gibbons,JSOS(inj)

B: Parks Jones Plowman

HB: Saad Weitering Newman

C: Docherty Curnow Walsh

HF: Betts TDK Murphy

F: Fogarty McKay Owies

R: Pittonet RR: Cripps R: Cuningham

INT: Setterfield,Williams,Stocker,Newnes

SUB: Kennedy or Dow

I wish.

Mistake on my part. Not even sure what I was thinking there, cause there isn't really anyone else I'd substitute in there. Fog keeps his spot.

TDK for Levi.
Honey for JSOS.
Murph for Gibbons.
Setters and Dow considered if Williams isn't right.
Dow was playing very well against Essendon, up until he was concussed. Bring him back and let him play out the season and have a real crack in the midfield. Instead we keep dropping him. Setterfield has had a lot of opportunities but cannot string two, three or four good games. He plays one good one, goes home and watches the replay and is satisfied. Murphy should come back as the medical sub. He gets credited with the game, and will eventually get to his 300. He is just being gifted games now.

If we won last week, what changes would the match committee make?

Not many!

So, given Teague mindset that we are close, I would think that we've only got two players, maybe three changes.

Out: JSOS, Caz, one of Newnes/ Gibbons / Cottrell
In: Kennedy (maybe Setters), TDK, Murphy

Dow was playing very well against Essendon, up until he was concussed. Bring him back and let him play out the season and have a real crack in the midfield. Instead we keep dropping him. Setterfield has had a lot of opportunities but cannot string two, three or four good games. He plays one good one, goes home and watches the replay and is satisfied. Murphy should come back as the medical sub. He gets credited with the game, and will eventually get to his 300. He is just being gifted games now.

If Setters was played in the guts, like last year, he would still be in the side

Demon Luke Jackson out (broken finger) 1 - 2 weeks. Makes the match ups slightly easier. Probable replacement weidemann?

That does help a lot. Can maybe use Luke Parks to pick up Petracca when he goes forward now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Setters was played in the guts, like last year, he would still be in the side

That's a very definitive statement, you can't know that. Bit like saying we'd have won last week if we hadn't missed those easy ones. We may have but we are only guessing.

Question is really is he killing them in the VFL? Most of the watchers say that he isn't.

It’s so very, very hard… to harden up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We are very very close my friend and when the dam wall breaks you will be happy - and harder.

That's a very definitive statement, you can't know that. Bit like saying we'd have won last week if we hadn't missed those easy ones. We may have but we are only guessing.

Question is really is he killing them in the VFL? Most of the watchers say that he isn't.

I felt he took a huge step last year, while playing as a dedicated inside mid.

With Teague ramping up the attacking style this year, he may have seen Setters hampering that gamestyle at stoppages, given he isn't blessed with speed, but then plays him on a wing

I believe a simple switch would be beneficial to the team, send Walsh back to a wing, where he gives you better 2 way running and overlap, than anyone else and let Setter get back to winning the pill and or negating those opposition inside mids

10 premiership players in that side and a premiership coach ;) - carried the other 10 players over the line that day.

Well I'm on board and I've never seen the lad.
Let’s be clear about what Honey is and isn’t. He is not a natural footballer like SOs. He doesn’t really know where the footy is going. Same problem as Cunners. Average awareness. BUT he’s super fast, field kicks are great. Very good hands. He’s erratic at goal on the run. Pretty good set shot. Some times he tackles heaps. He seems to run out games well and repeat sprints are amazing.

Overall I badly want him in the side. I just hope people have the right understanding of what to expect from him.

The way Tracca was limping of the ground with a corky he received late in the game last week, the footy gods may be shining a little love on us finally.
no way jose - I want Carlton to play every team with their best on ground - every week. Wont happen but any other eexpectation is loser talk - mongrel up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back