Review Rd 9: Freo keep rolling against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, ask him if he knows what a flat punt is and how to kick it. Its what Doug Wade and Peter Hudson kicked and they never missed. It's literally a dying skill.
I watched the GF where Hudson was on track to kick 150 and he missed heaps. Easy shots too.

Seriously, ask him if he knows what a flat punt is and how to kick it. Its what Doug Wade and Peter Hudson kicked and they never missed. It's literally a dying skill.

oh and you're right about the flat punt and every other kick that was considered superior to the drop punt back then. different footies, different boots, different rules, the speed of the game etc were all factors

Why is a premiership off the table?
Sure we need to make finals first, but winners THINK they can win it from seemingly hopeless positions & sometimes get there.
For mine, I want our goal 2 always be 2 win every game (of course it already is), but the obvious next step is to win the flag.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’ll put it a 0.1% chance with it necessary to win the next two games to make it possible, in which case Treacy will have to fire and if he does means his place in the side is secure regardless.

Either way I can’t mount a case for dropping him if we want to be successful long term

what he did say, is he doesn't recognise the game today

a cross between all over red rover and rugby. sadly I tend to agree.

I feel the custodians of the game have changed the rules resulting in a less enjoyable spectacle of high pressure around the ball, forcing a turn over and then chipping to an uncontested position.
I like this comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A niggling concern is amiss set shot routine. He is starting to spray the ball out to the left a lot now. I don’t really trust him yet to nail those kickable set shots from 30m out so he’s got improving too so there. But the rest of his game is excellent

I reckon this is 80% caused by him kicking too close to the man on the mark. He has a very set routine which is great but every time he goes to kick I cringe thinking he’s either going to have to kick it up and over or it’ll be smothered.
No idea why our forwards coach isn’t getting him to go back a couple of steps?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have the same feeling about this game it seems others do in that it's hard to draw conclusions on our form from it. But like last week against Hawthorn, it's better to spend the week with a W against our name than a L.
Moose v Franklin. Has our beloved captain turned the corner or was he playing a fading giant of the game? Let's be positive and say the former.
Walker v Papley. I really rate Papley and Walker did a magnificent job on him. Papley can turn a game but the Phantom kept him in check.
What a difference a tall makes? Or two or three. This forward structure must be persisted with. It is the way.
We were very accurate in front of goals which leads to the two confusing parts of the game which is our lack of shots per i50 entry. Can we afford that against better teams? The second point being how did we only win by 17 points? We seemed much better than them for 3 quarters. Felt like a 40+ win .
Obviously a far better test coming for our boys, but the stat(s) that pleases me most is having more possessions and more tackles than the opposition, this shows we're working harder than they are around the ground.
Looking forwards to next week, hopefully all of the purple peeps turn up to support the lads. A win next week will be very significant.
Again... I only saw the highlights.

Swans did kick a goal after the siren to make it a 17 point win.

In a way, I dont think it was a case of freo easing off the gas pedal. It was more like protecting that 4-5 goal lead with 3-5 minutes to go.

I reckon this is 80% caused by him kicking too close to the man on the mark. He has a very set routine which is great but every time he goes to kick I cringe thinking he’s either going to have to kick it up and over or it’ll be smothered.

General principle in footy is don't change what's working. Before the Sydney game Amiss was 15 goals, 7 behinds. That's pretty good accuracy.

I agree his routine is unconventional, and my fear is that it may break down in a big final, but so long as it is working you don't change it.

Alternatively his routine is fine and he just missed because noone has ever kicked better that 70% over an extended period.

i used to ask this every game last season....

what was the collective disposals and goals combined for our small forwards?

Schultz- 14 disposals and 4 goals
Walters- 12 disposals
Banfield- 15 disposals and 1 goal
Freddy- 11 disposals and 2 goals

52 disposals and 7 goals all up.

Taberner's a lock for next season assuming his injury is treatable. Even if the team would prefer Treacy (which I doubt), there's no way you get rid of the only other key forward on your list.

But his back injury has been ongoing for 2-3 years now, if the surgery doesn't fix it then he is probably done.

Thats true...

Its bad enough we let go of rory lobb.

Traecy and Taberner are similar players. Both are around 195 cm. Both can be damaging when you play to their strengths.

Schultz- 14 disposals and 4 goals
Walters- 12 disposals
Banfield- 15 disposals and 1 goal
Freddy- 11 disposals and 2 goals

52 disposals and 7 goals all up.

That is actually solid.

Walters tried hard today.

I dont think its a bad thing if Walters didnt kick a goal and only got 12 disposals.

I wouldnt classify Banfield as a small. The bloke is 190-192 cm. He is more like a tall hald forward flanker or link man.

But having any 3 of Walters or Switkowski or Schulz or Frederick is good. They just need to kick 4-6 goals on a good day.

Carrot farmer
It's so funny how you can tell that Suma actually writes those player ratings himself compared to the articles with his name on them.

The ratings sound like someone who knows a fair bit about footy and nothing about writing, where the articles (while objectively bad from a content perspective) are written more eloquently than anyone would credit Peter with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back