Autopsy Rd 9 - If only games went for 1 quarter aka Still the Hawks bunnies

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
7a4126e599dbc46c816f53ad3574847e.jpg
Cool stat. Doesn't mean an awful lot in isolation.

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Cool stat. Doesn't mean an awful lot in isolation.

Is it as simple as saying that we play an attacking brand which opens us up to scores on the rebound?
I think it goes a bit further than that.
If that were the only reason the scores would fluctuate a bit more than they do. As I’m sure all Blues fans do, I wait for the period of the game where the opponent gets a run on and scores in bunches. It was the first quarters where we looked like we forgot what time the game started, then it was the last quarter vs Geelong, and the NM/Haw games were basically quarters 2 & 3.
It’s all over the shop, and some questions need to be asked.
We’re not a team full of kids, we have a decent number of veterans who can (and should) settle things down and control the tempo. I know it’s not basketball where you can call a timeout and reassess strategies; but there are experienced, calm heads in each zone of the ground (Doc/Weiters/Simmo, Cripps/Ed, Eddie/Martin) they need to huddle in their group of 6 after a goal and reinforce the plan B when the other team gets a hold of us.
Maybe it’s as simple as playing possession footy for 10 minutes to stop the run. I don’t know the answers, but apparently neither do our veterans.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it as simple as saying that we play an attacking brand which opens us up to scores on the rebound?
I think it goes a bit further than that.
If that were the only reason the scores would fluctuate a bit more than they do. As I’m sure all Blues fans do, I wait for the period of the game where the opponent gets a run on and scores in bunches. It was the first quarters where we looked like we forgot what time the game started, then it was the last quarter vs Geelong, and the NM/Haw games were basically quarters 2 & 3.
It’s all over the shop, and some questions need to be asked.
We’re not a team full of kids, we have a decent number of veterans who can (and should) settle things down and control the tempo. I know it’s not basketball where you can call a timeout and reassess strategies; but there are experienced, calm heads in each zone of the ground (Doc/Weiters/Simmo, Cripps/Ed, Eddie/Martin) they need to huddle in their group of 6 after a goal and reinforce the plan B when the other team gets a hold of us.
Maybe it’s as simple as playing possession footy for 10 minutes to stop the run. I don’t know the answers, but apparently neither do our veterans.
The leaders of the team do not know how to arrest a game going against us. We desperately need to get in a) a defense heavy assistant coach to run our midfield, who has the pedigree to get listened to, and b) players to replace Murphy and Simpson onfield.

Weitering was trying his heart out in the match on Sunday. Walsh was running all over the place. Cripps - despite ******* up a lot - was trying so hard he was forcing it. We have the right leaders, but those who they're learning from have never learned to arrest the flow of a game. They've learned to deal with low expectation.

As much as I respect Murph and Simmo, we need to move past them.

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
The leaders of the team do not know how to arrest a game going against us. We desperately need to get in a) a defense heavy assistant coach to run our midfield, who has the pedigree to get listened to, and b) players to replace Murphy and Simpson onfield.

Weitering was trying his heart out in the match on Sunday. Walsh was running all over the place. Cripps - despite ******* up a lot - was trying so hard he was forcing it. We have the right leaders, but those who they're learning from have never learned to arrest the flow of a game. They've learned to deal with low expectation.

Tend to agree.
John Barker would appear to get a particularly hard time on here, but if he is still a coach next season it will be a massive miscalculation by the club.
As you say, we need coaches who command more respect.
We really need another 1 or 2 players who have premiership pedigree, who instil behaviours based on actual winning experience.
Murph and Simmo are fantastic servants of the club, but I concur - thanks for your efforts, time to go.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

This is all about the gameplan, not players

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Tend to agree.
John Barker would appear to get a particularly hard time on here, but if he is still a coach next season it will be a massive miscalculation by the club.
As you say, we need coaches who command more respect.
We really need another 1 or 2 players who have premiership pedigree, who instil behaviours based on actual winning experience.
Murph and Simmo are fantastic servants of the club, but I concur - thanks for your efforts, time to go.
I'd have time for keeping him around they club, perhaps as a mentor or a coach for whatever seconds we set up.

I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, so - unlike some - I'm unwilling to engage with the idea that Barker is or isn't a good coach or a worthwhile member of our coaching department. My impression is that our coaching group has completely switched focus as part of the transition between Bolton to Teague, and Teague is - as we have seen - more capable an offensive coach than a defensive coach; ergo, we need to supplement him with someone drastically different.

It's why I've been on about getting Wines from Port, and why I'd be desperate to get Luke Parker to come down for a few years, and why I'd be very interested in paying someone like Luke Hodge, Jimmy Bartel, Brett Kirk to be a part of our coaches box and - potentially - our stoppage coach. We need people around the club to impose standards, and to keep players from settling into their role or their position and doing just enough to continue being selected.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This is all about the gameplan, not players
I don't disagree, and making snap judgements after a disjointed long distance trip on a five day turnaround would be ill advised. But we need to move past these players, and we need to ensure that our future leaders - and that includes Cripps and Doc - absorb the right lessons from games like Sunday.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't disagree, and making snap judgements after a disjointed long distance trip on a five day turnaround would be ill advised. But we need to move past these players, and we need to ensure that our future leaders - and that includes Cripps and Doc - absorb the right lessons from games like Sunday.

No doubt

I like an attacking gameplan, but players are vulnerable if if doesn't have a number of gears

Kenny_Hunter

Draftee
Aug 5, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I know this is days after the event and I was mightily disappointed the other night but I was Def not surprised the other night. Some teams match up well against others. As soon as I saw the dynamic duo would be reunited I was worried. Yes our team needs to start winning these games but many still inexperienced and others had off nights. They are human. All the Murphy haters should hang there head as he's been good this year. We all make mistakes and his howler in the 2nd was terrible. But he'll probably kick the winner against Freo and the haters will love him again.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Criticism of Betts is a little harsh I'd say. Maybe he needs a rest but up until the last 3 weeks I think most people would've said he was exceeding expectation, now he's been underwhelming.

It's not just on Betts, I don't think there's a more dependent position in the comp that small forward. If the supply inside 50 is rubbish and the bigs aren't competing well (which they haven't been lately) then what can a small forward really do? Against North they were intercept marking everything coming inside 50. What can Betts do in a situation where no contests are bringing the ball to ground inside 50?

The same against the Hawks, we were so non-competitive after qtr time he had no chance inside 50.

Cuningham has also been pretty quiet over the last 3 weeks fwiw. 9 disp, 11 disp and 4 disp with 3, 3 an 0 tackles in the respective games. Eddie had 6 on the weekend and I'd argue watching the game he was in several more tackles that he wasn't given credit for.

I doubt there's a harder position in the league than small forward when your team is playing poorly, which for the last 2 weeks we have been.

Bigcorey#2

Draftee
Feb 16, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Long time lurker. Occasional poster but felt the need to launch after this evening.

Possibly the most disappointed with the team in some time and that is saying something (as we all know where we've been since Malthouse destroyed our club). If we think we are close we are delusional. Time to wake up.

Callum Moore? Why is he even on the list let alone get a game in front of what is meant to be the future (TDK).
Murph? I'm sorry son. Thanks for the time and effort. You have been grand but it's over.
Simmo. Sad to say (so very sad) but if we are to move forward you are not out future.
Most of the kids had a shocker but will forgive for now.

Teague. Please please please invest in the next 10 years rather than struggle ourselves to 12th. We don't care about a struggling win against mid table sides like North. It's proper finals or f_off. Getting a deadset hiding from a geriatric Hawthorn side kicks me in the guts. Especially given that they are coached by bloke that we must all despise after destroying Ian Aitken's career with the cheapest of cheap shots in a "friendly" in London (Thanks Jimmy B for not letting that go without repercussion on the day).

Please, please play Fish. Please play TDK. Please play Stoker if he's available. Please play Dow when he's available. O'brien too. SOS when he's ready. If they are no good then f them off and move on. Have a crack at the next one.

Cottell, Owies, Philp, Honey. Let's find out FFS.

Newnes not the answer. 2 lucky goals then F all.

GIbbo stays. He has a crack. Jack M (so very very lucky that he chose us - thanks Crippa and Eddie).

If we don't have a significant change in the side next week then I may just tune out for the rest of the year. Never done that before but this game has put a pin in the balloon like nothing before and I've seen the worst of it. Even stayed at Colonial Stadium to the end while Mick Martin waltzed down from full back to kick a goal to put North 120 points up 15 odd years ago. Then we picked him up. Wow. That was a low point.

Been Carlton since my Grandfather told me there was no other side and he was in the change rooms with Ken Hands.

Let's truly find out what the future looks like cos right now we are nothing more a bunch of also rans before the rebuild has even been given a chance.

Man. That was hard not to proper swear.....

Written by a supporter who seems to be a world of pain..... chin up son.....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok Paddy Dow, time to step up, Hunter Clark has found his feet and having a ripper season. I/we know you have it but damn the time is now, get on the field and prove that awesome running goal against Gold Coast is the norm and not the outlier.

Back