Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
In the spirit of casting lofty comparisons for new draftees I christen thee ...

Pendlebury.

Yes! Exactly what I thought.

As Yakka has mentioned, his Draft Tracker vid on the AFL website makes him look like he has a lease on the Magic Boomerang.

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That video is super impressive for a rookie pick. Very good in traffic and decision making, strong overhead and uses both feet well.

Really looking forward to seeing him develop over the next few years.

doberman

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
After watching both vids it's hard to believe he had only played 4 years. So composed. The first clip in the draft tracker video he doesnt have a care in the world. Mundy shimmies, kicking left and right, Ibbo overhead mark.

The only negative from the highlights package is you can't see if he has afterburners, but i suppose if he's moving like Pendlebury it doesn't matter.

Ktrain

All Australian
Dec 2, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton FC
Never played hockey, but given the pitch size, pace & potential for damage you'd have to learn awareness I assume?

The highlights show a player whose mind is working very quickly and others just not being able to tackle.

Apenesslike

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Never played hockey, but given the pitch size, pace & potential for damage you'd have to learn awareness I assume?

The highlights show a player whose mind is working very quickly and others just not being able to tackle.
He looks like he can freeze time a bit, but let's see if it works with top level opposition. If he can sell that candy to better players he's a definite prospect.

Eski3

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2007
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo
His highlights were against WAFL reserves, I would hope an AFL quality player would make them look second rate

I just hope his scope of improvement continues at the rate it's been going

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
His highlights were against WAFL reserves, I would hope an AFL quality player would make them look second rate

I just hope his scope of improvement continues at the rate it's been going

Yes for sure. At this stage he is not afl quality. He is a prospect on a Rookie list who has been given a chance. History shows most don't get far. Hope he ignores that history and does everything he can to get a decent career out of it.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is Ethan coming in to our line-up imminent?

AFL Debut
Rd 23 2015 - 22 disposals (16 kicks), 8 marks, 1 contested mark, 3 tackles, 3 1%ers, 2 r50s, 2 i50s, 0 goals

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 15 disposals (11 kicks), 8 marks, 0 tackles, 0 goals
Rd 2 - 23 disposals (13 kicks), 5 marks, 1 tackle, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 23 disposals (14 kicks), 8 marks, 1 tackle, 0 goals

Coach's Comments
Rd 1 - Was good across halfback in the first half but faded in the latter stages of the game. Finished with 15 touches.
Rd 2 - Played halfback and his marking and rebound were a feature in getting us going and some provided some good movement inside 50.
Rd 3 - Played across half-back and was very good in the air taking eight marks. His rebounding and running ability help set up some good attacking positions.

Elevated off the rookie list over the off season, Hughes seems to have flown under the radar from a media perspective. But I am pretty sure with what he offers, that Ross is keen as mustard to slot him in to our line-up asap:
  • Attacking - he is one of those defenders with an attacking mindset.
  • Accountable - keeps his man in check and is very capable when the ball is in the air with his spoiling.
  • Ball Winner - knows how to win plenty of the ball from half back.
  • Smart - reads the play well and is a good interceptor.
  • Athletic - a strong runner that is agile, evasive, and can break lines if required.
His attacking nature seems an ideal match for our new game plan. Sure his disposal efficiency still needs some work (whose doesn't?) but a highly accountable defender that is willing to run and carry out of defence seems like the exact thing we need at half back. Crossing my fingers we see him against Carlton and if not against Adelaide away. He has been incredibly consistent at WAFL, his debut last year was extremely impressive, and he is yet another one of these youngsters that has proven themselves and needs to be elevated to be playing AFL.

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is Ethan coming in to our line-up imminent?

AFL Debut
Rd 23 2015 - 22 disposals (16 kicks), 8 marks, 1 contested mark, 3 tackles, 3 1%ers, 2 r50s, 2 i50s, 0 goals

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 15 disposals (11 kicks), 8 marks, 0 tackles, 0 goals
Rd 2 - 23 disposals (13 kicks), 5 marks, 1 tackle, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 23 disposals (14 kicks), 8 marks, 1 tackle, 0 goals

Coach's Comments
Rd 1 - Was good across halfback in the first half but faded in the latter stages of the game. Finished with 15 touches.
Rd 2 - Played halfback and his marking and rebound were a feature in getting us going and some provided some good movement inside 50.
Rd 3 - Played across half-back and was very good in the air taking eight marks. His rebounding and running ability help set up some good attacking positions.

Elevated off the rookie list over the off season, Hughes seems to have flown under the radar from a media perspective. But I am pretty sure with what he offers, that Ross is keen as mustard to slot him in to our line-up asap:
  • Attacking - he is one of those defenders with an attacking mindset.
  • Accountable - keeps his man in check and is very capable when the ball is in the air with his spoiling.
  • Ball Winner - knows how to win plenty of the ball from half back.
  • Smart - reads the play well and is a good interceptor.
  • Athletic - a strong runner that is agile, evasive, and can break lines if required.
His attacking nature seems an ideal match for our new game plan. Sure his disposal efficiency still needs some work (whose doesn't?) but a highly accountable defender that is willing to run and carry out of defence seems like the exact thing we need at half back. Crossing my fingers we see him against Carlton and if not against Adelaide away. He has been incredibly consistent at WAFL, his debut last year was extremely impressive, and he is yet another one of these youngsters that has proven themselves and needs to be elevated to be playing AFL.
The knock on him seems to be his skills, but he couldn't turn it over anymore than someone like Sutcliffe is at the moment. I would be interested to know his up to date height and weight measurements. I wonder if he is around the 190cm mark these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
About to sign a new two year deal that will put him back on the main list according to the AFL site. You may be also disappointed if you think he will be dropped this week!!

guidodp15

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
About to sign a new two year deal that will put him back on the main list according to the AFL site. You may be also disappointed if you think he will be dropped this week!!
why the hell is he getting a new contract. seriously the worst player on the list.

must have someone's nudes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back