Preview Rd12 2018 St Kilda vs Sydney, Sat June 9th Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Aliir's been a shadow of his 2016 form. IMO he's been the same, and maybe that's the problem. He still has the same faults in his game that he had when he was a 21 (?) year old in his debut season, which we glossed over because it was his first year. Those faults - like lacking spacial awareness at times, frustratingly making some simple skill errors while nailing the more difficult and complex plays etc - I think we expected to be eradicated from his game by now as he is now 23, and we expected him to be a staple in our back-line by this point in his career. But I think what's important to remember is that as much of a talking point as he is, he has still only played 17 games. That's incredibly inexperienced for a key position player, especially an unconventional one. I think he's still inexperienced enough that we have to look at the pros and cons of Aliir as a player, just like we do with Hayward, or Florent, or Fox, or Newman, or Melican. You look at whether their positives outweigh the negatives and IMO they definitely do with Aliir.

I think that's more the point I constantly try to make with Aliir. I don't think he's the saviour of our team, nor do I think he's essential. I don't think anyone does think he's that good yet. But they see enough of a package there to work with and invest in, just like all the other youngsters, and we forget how inexperienced he is... like how dare a 17-gamer show flaws!

It's fine if you don't think Aliir should be in the team. If he's not banging the door down for selection then fair enough. But the 'Aliir is crap now' narrative that gets thrown out on this board is exhausting.
I agree with everything you’ve written EXCEPT for the use of the term “package”. That reminds me of Jake Stringer ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back