Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
"
Essendon and North Melbourne don’t like each other.

So much so, there’s some people at North Melbourne who refuse to say the word Essendon?

They call them “the other team”. Come on Robbo, the term is Scum

Robbos’s been reading BF and the * references.

"Watching Essendon train at the Hangar on Wednesday, it was evident its players were instructed to bring pressure and intensity at the contest.

It was interesting seeing one team act as “Essendon” and another as “North”, as they tried to incorporate what the Kangaroos have added to their game style under Shaw.

Clearly North's new-found pressure gauge hasn't been lost on John Worsfold. He wants his team to know what is coming their way."

:D

Worsfold is basically conceding that his team is soft.
Smells like fear.
The issue with having one team North and one team * is that I can guarantee this bit of training would have had their prime movers in Sheil, Zaharakis and Merrett at the fall of the ball read to gather it and dish it out to their half backs. How do you train for an unlimited level of physicality at training?

On Saturday there will be no midfielders at the fall of the ball.
As soon as an * player gets possession they should be tackled or bashed and crashed and rendered useless to the next contest. This is why we have been so successful under Shaw.
The opposition simply do not get numbers to the fall of the ball.

If Worsfold trained for this theres gonna be an almighty wake up call come 7:00pm tomoro. I would simply go one on one if I were *
That will be their best chance of winning.

... also GFYS!

'Yourself' is all one word.

Even your acronyms suck.

Ffs start The Gd Thread this week

And miss the board's humourless types getting their noses out of joint about Tim starting the GD thread?

That's crazy talk, Gaso.

Haaaa trashing TOD; you got big basketball balls

Ha. Fortunately for me and my quick-to-spike boredom levels, Exclamation Mark Yeah is not the kind of person you have to put much time into. He is one of those handful of posters that are perfectly capable of making themselves look ridiculous all on their own.

..........there’s some people at North Melbourne who refuse to say the word Essendon?

They call them “the other team”.

So even my own footy club is trolling me over this crap now?

For the last time, I didn't ask to be born into an *-barracking family. I got out as soon as I could. By age 5 I'd seen the light.

Let me live my life, you sadists.

(Which coincidentally is the same thing I said to my parents at age 5.)

Wonder which Essendon players pretended to be us in training?

If Stringer was one, we have a strong case for defamation imo.
Still haven't heard where our pre game beer is?

Still haven't heard where our pre game beer is?

Limerick Castle in North Melbourne.

Make sure to wear all your Bomber gear and when you get in there shout out "Hey, which one of you Norfie povvos is Jean Luc?"

Limerick Castle in North Melbourne.

Make sure to wear all your Bomber gear and when you get in there shout out "Hey, which one of you Norfie povvos is Jean Luc?"
I don't have Bombers gear, I'll wear my North members cap.

Any chance we can go closer to docklands?

"Watching Essendon train at the Hangar on Wednesday, it was evident its players were instructed to bring pressure and intensity at the contest.

It was interesting seeing one team act as “Essendon” and another as “North”, as they tried to incorporate what the Kangaroos have added to their game style under Shaw.

Clearly North's new-found pressure gauge hasn't been lost on John Worsfold. He wants his team to know what is coming their way."

:D

Worsfold is basically conceding that his team is soft.

Training makes you soft?

Is north at the pub smashing beers and putting cigarettes out on each other foreheads?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Training makes you soft?

Is north at the pub smashing beers and putting cigarettes out on each other foreheads?

What is this delusion that leads you to the assumption that anything has to be justified for you? You're a cretin.

We know what it means, and that's all that matters.

What is this delusion that leads you to the assumption that anything has to be justified for you? You're a cretin.

The hate is strong with you

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The problem with the focusing on our toughness is that teams will get up for it, just as the Saints did in the second quarter. It will be harder to intimidate teams.

I'll buy you a beer teff.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Fuelling a rivalry

Ben Collins - AFL.com.au

Jul 13, 2019 10:59AM

The ancient rivalry waged by North Melbourne and Essendon threatens to flare again on Saturday as they fight for a spot in the top eight.

In a similarly crucial encounter many winters ago, the late Kangaroos star John Waddington was a central figure in a controversial episode that further fuelled hostilities between the two clubs. Waddington, who died recently aged 81, inadvertently triggered the second of only three player headcounts in League history. And it was a debacle, but it also made for great theatre.

HeadcountTheAge.jpg

North Melbourne and Essendon players line up for a headcount. Picture: As depicted by The Age

In the second-last round of 1958, the fourth-placed Bombers hosted the fifth-placed Kangaroos at Windy Hill in a virtual battle for the final berth in the top four. Late in the last quarter the Roos seemed set for a rare finals appearance when they led by 28 points – 11.14 (80) to 7.10 (52) – but those hopes were sensationally put on hold. The catalyst for all the commotion was North big man Bryan 'Skinny' Martyn's heavy landing in the centre. Martyn, the father of club great Mick Martyn, was still receiving treatment in the middle of the ground when Waddington, a 20-year-old first-year player from Bendigo, left the bench and raced onto the field.

This aroused the attention of Bombers officials, who believed North now had an extra player on the field. This conviction was strengthened when they overheard a boundary umpire say: "North has 19 men on the ground." The Dons officials, suddenly sensing an opportunity to win via a Kangas clanger, immediately sent their runner Frank Clark to ask the sole field umpire, Bill Barbour, for a headcount. The experienced Barbour dismissed the Essendon runner, telling him any such request had to be made by Essendon's captain, Jack Clarke. So runner Clark rushed over to captain Clarke and alerted him to the situation, after which the Dons leader approached umpire Barbour to officially request a player count.

As procedure dictated, Barbour stopped the game and informed North's captain John Brady that Essendon had demanded a count, before ordering the Kangaroos players to line up. "We couldn't believe it," North star and future League chief Allen Aylett recalled in his 1986 autobiography My Game: A Life In Football. If the Shinboners were found to have had more than 18 players on the field, they would have had their entire score erased and suddenly they would have been 52 points behind and with no chance of victory or a finals berth.

After what Aylett described as "a strange five-minute-plus delay", Barbour cleared the visitors of any wrongdoing, the decision being greeted with a mix of cheers and jeers from the stunned crowd of 27,500. The Bombers' bewilderment turned to embarrassment when they learned Waddington had legally replaced North's injured vice-captain Albert Mantello, who'd already walked off the field a considerable distance from the Essendon bench. So rather than having 19 players on the ground, as the Bombers alleged, North momentarily had only 16 able-bodied players before Waddington dashed on.

090719_WaddingtonLarge.jpg

John Waddington played 132 games for North Melbourne between 1958 and 1966. Picture: nmfc.com.au

Essendon officials were reportedly "disturbed" by the affair, and its coach, the legendary Dick Reynolds, was adamant he hadn't played any part in the blunder.

Meanwhile, the Kangaroos hierarchy insisted they'd been more amused than concerned when the home side demanded the count. It seemed an honest mistake by the Bombers but many North supporters took it as an affront to the integrity of their club. "North supporters wouldn't let their Essendon counterparts forget that incident for years after!" Aylett wrote. And in the meantime, the Roos made the finals while the red-faced Dons missed out by a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back