Preview Rd17: Changes & prematch discussion vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're only one (LDU and Murphy thus far) behind and Morgan debuts tomorrow. That then makes us even.

Its easy to forget Pauly debuted less than 2 months ago cos he looks like he's played 100 games but we have already debuted 3 players this year. Morgs tomorrow makes it 4.

There’s only one correct answer.

Clubs will be crawling over broken glass to get either goldy/preuss.

Brad needs to keep an eye on the future and it’s preuss

Imagine having a player that puts fear of physical punishment into other teams

YES! Totally. Do not ship Brayden Preuss off under any circumstances. Guys like him do not grow on trees.

Xerri looks a good prospect as a ruck/forward or forward/ruck, but it's too early to say he could carry us when Goldy retires. Preussy is not and should never be trade bait.

that last statement is just ridiculous
we win a few we are in
the way teams are going there are going to be heaps of upsets now crows and brissie have come good
and that is big trouble for us so lets see how wego tomorrow

True, but playing draftees hasn't weakened WC team
Definitely do not think that Ahern or Murphy has weakened the team. Ahern is more than playing his part, was even called "the smooth moving" Ahern last week, and young Tom is as composed around the footy as a bloke who has been there 10 years. LDU's time will come, but he didn't weaken the team, imo.

And this is ultimately the key factor that let's BS down - he always plays to maximise his chances of winning today - he doesn't 'invest' in the longer term.

We constantly play on older side than the opposition. BS wont take a chance on a younger player when older bodies are available - he admitted it himself when we had the 4 senior guys retire in 2016...."I would just keep playing them if they were on the list..."

It's a massive weakness for a coach and as a club we have been let down year after year (and again this year) because of it. When the inevitable injuries hit we have no back up. BS rolls the dice year after year in the hope that injuries wont hit us - and year after year they hit us.

Proof for 2018 - the fact that McKay and Pruess haven't played a senior game this year is just unacceptable - to the players themselves in terms of their development and to the club as a whole in terms of improving our depth (when its sorely needed).
Name older players that are supposedly playing s**t right now that said younger players are knocking down the door to get into.

Cunners has been on fire this year.
JZ is enjoying his time forward.
Majak Daw is doing very well down back.
Taz and Thommo in great form.
Goldy has been in solid form.
Higgins has been near brownlow levels of performance this year so far.
Ben Brown in Coleman medal contention..
Etc......

No one, I repeat, NO ONE thought we would get this far. We are in contention for a finals spot and mathematically top 4 finish.

FFS.

You bang on about depth which is a fair point but * we just let off senior players, this s**t takes time. Do you want the younger players to take senior spots? Do you want 2010-11 100 point thumpings again? I don't.

Look at the way we play from 2-4 years ago compared to now. There are replays out there for you to see mate.

If you don't see a difference, I can't help you.

This club is heading in the right direction. If we make finals, that's a big bonus.

Knowing when, and how to utilise young players in a senior side that demands depth is not as easy as it looks. Look at Melbourne and Carlton. That s**t is not as easy as 1-2-3.

Definitely do not think that Ahern or Murphy has weakened the team. Ahern is more than playing his part, was even called "the smooth moving" Ahern last week, and young Tom is as composed around the footy as a bloke who has been there 10 years. LDU's time will come, but he didn't weaken the team, imo.
Agree, that's why we should be getting time and experience into some of the others

Name older players that are supposedly playing s**t right now that said younger players are knocking down the door to get into.

Cunners has been on fire this year.
JZ is enjoying his time forward.
Majak Daw is doing very well down back.
Taz and Thommo in great form.
Goldy has been in solid form.
Higgins has been near brownlow levels of performance this year so far.
Ben Brown in Coleman medal contention..
Etc......

No one, I repeat, NO ONE thought we would get this far. We are in contention for a finals spot and mathematically top 4 finish.

FFS.

You bang on about depth which is a fair point but **** we just let off senior players, this s**t takes time. Do you want the younger players to take senior spots? Do you want 2010-11 100 point thumpings again? I don't.

Look at the way we play from 2-4 years ago compared to now. There are replays out there for you to see mate.

If you don't see a difference, I can't help you.

This club is heading in the right direction. If we make finals, that's a big bonus.

Knowing when, and how to utilise young players in a senior side that demands depth is not as easy as it looks. Look at Melbourne and Carlton. That s**t is not as easy as 1-2-3.
You named 7 of 22. There are and have been many occasion this season when players have and are being played that aren't bringing anything to the table. That's when you play the young guys. Or you can leave them in the vfl until the 22 we have now are to old and bring in a team full of youth with no AFL experience. Then it's to bloody late.
Bring these kids up and giving them opportunity with the more experienced players gradually so you aren't left with situation Carlton are in is just good list management. BS needs to take risks and show a bit of faith in these young guys.
If people think players like Pruessy are going to sit in the vfl for as many years as it takes BS to decide to rest, drop or trade Goldy they'll be disappointed, pretty sure he wasn't joking when he said he was pissed off.

Last edited:

I think Murphy played one game too many and was a bit cooked by the time we dropped him. (LDU was the same. Was good till the intensity started taking a toll. But in that game last week in the rain he looked a class above most of the rest.) And that was in the worst conditions I've seen a game played in. 2 degrees ffs!! Kid looks ok.

Pauly is pretty damn good, but he's also 3 years past his draft year so he has an adult body not a teenage one. He has added something as well. We are noticeably better with him in the side.

You named 7 of 22. There are and have been many occasion this season when players have and are being played that aren't bringing anything to the table. That's when you play the young guys. Or you can leave them in the vfl until the 22 we have now are to old and bring in a team full of youth with no AFL experience. Then it's to bloody late.
Bring these kids up and giving them opportunity with the more experienced players gradually so you aren't left with situation Carlton are in is just good list management. BS needs to take risks and show a bit of faith in these young guys.
If people think players like Pruessy are going to sit in the vfl for as many years as it takes BS to decide to rest, drop or trade Goldy they'll be disappointed, pretty sure he wasn't joking when he said he was pissed off.

Not going to continually argue with you. Believe what you want to believe.

Let me say this once and for all...

Said young player has the ball on the wing, has to kick to a receiver, both in equally as dangerous positions, one option is Jmac, a reliable user and the other is a debutant. Debutant has a higher chance of spilling the ball. Who does he choose?

Leadership is needed. Even when those players are not playing as well as they can. The voice matters.

We are in the first year of a proper rebuild as we let a lot of seniors go in the last 2 years or so.

So far:

-We have made significant progress in defensive structures. A key issue at Old North.

-We have won most close games. Another former issue at North.

-We have beaten teams away from home. Another thing we struggled to do consistently previously.

-We have actually debuted young players! Read up!

-Our own VFL team! THIS was what was missing and bottlenecked our AFL development. We can now synchronise the game structures more efficiently for each player.

You are being too negative. Just be grateful you got to see the boys make two prelims in a row against the odds. Beating formidable sides to get there as well.

The club had a crack when it could, it didn't go as well but we had a good run. That's footy.

The club has salary $$ for big players, do not forget!

He's not perfect, but the team he started with wasnt exactly reliable either.

He gets a clear pass from me and probably a majority of long time posters on here.

We beat * in a final. Lighten up!

Trade Goldy while his stocks are back up, keep Preuss. Keeps our longterm investment safe at home and gets us something back for the trade. Maybe not as much but who knows, clubs are deprived of ruckman right now and they'd do well with a former AA ruckman, they can't be picky. Pay us well with either trade.

But I'm dead set serious, the club will regret ever letting Preuss go in favor of a short term up & about Goldstein for just a couple seasons.
I'm not against that, I'd be happy to trade either. Whichever gets us the higher pick. Goldstein would be appealing to many clubs as he is the finished product, a far more polished, accomplished and effective player than Preuss....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point being that if teams didn't have unexpected losses today we would still be just out of the 8 and the finals would not be within reach.
Wow. That has to be the ultimate in negativity....declaring our current position on the ladder as a false position due to similar mid table sides failing to get the job done in winnable games. By definition, mid table sides lose as many games as they win.

I think Murphy played one game too many and was a bit cooked by the time we dropped him. (LDU was the same. Was good till the intensity started taking a toll. But in that game last week in the rain he looked a class above most of the rest.) And that was in the worst conditions I've seen a game played in. 2 degrees ffs!! Kid looks ok.

Pauly is pretty damn good, but he's also 3 years past his draft year so he has an adult body not a teenage one. He has added something as well. We are noticeably better with him in the side.
Not too sure who the game was against regarding Murphy, but I do remember it was pretty high tempo. Just a different pace, or a step up. I think he offers a bit more than Hrovat, and while they play different positions, Murphy certainly can free up one of our many flankers to move forward through the centre.

Losing Preuss will be the biggest longterm blunder the club could possibly make. I can guarantee if he leaves and becomes the No. 1 ruck elsewhere like GWS or something; he will be dominant.

This back and forth about Goldie and Preuss will be one of our biggest off season quandaries.

A bit will come down to the personalities of all three, including Xerri. Are they willing to be patient for another year? Are they buying in to the 10 year plan? If yes then we have have another year of the same.

If like most at that age they are desperate to play firsts footy and they force decisions then anything could happen!

Unlike the last words years Goldie may have some value again which could mean any of the three could be traded.

If I was to guess, I think the players will force the issue and the club will choose the best deal available for the club which may be driven by what other clubs want and need.

A genuine contender might prefer Goldie to support their young midfield or a developing club may want a ten year player.

I want to keep Preuss who I've seen live many times this year and who is quickly becoming a beast with X factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back