Preview Rd19: Changes and prematch discussion vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Afltables puts us last at 30 before Sunday. 2 behind the next.

2017 37 and far from the worst. Apparently Adelaide had 31.

2016 had 34 and again not the worst.

The issue is quality not quantity.
In 2017 Richmond used 38 players and won the Premiership. What happened to us that year? :stern look

This year only using 30 players highlights how Scotts has been loathe to drop underperforming senior Types. Who has he dropped this year? Clarke, LDU, Murphy. Who else? :stern look

Also this year the following guys who have previously played seniors have not played a senior game. Preuss, McKay, Larkey, Neilson, Hibberd, J Williams with Garner and Mountford being injured. Scotts sticks fat with Senior Types regardless. :stern look

NMFC-header.png

If
the Roos are to make the finals ...

then
they can't lose this one to the Eagles in Tassie.

North18CoNM18MD0045.jpg

Gee thanks Captain Obvious.

Might as well have gone with:

IF 1 + 1 = 2

THEN 2 = 1 + 1

Do tell

And who has responsibilities for that List?

Sure, he inherited a lot in the first run at it 14/15, but that won’t be an excuse come whoever (and I am assuming it’s him) come 19/20/21

I don't blame him for the list he inherited at all, if anything I excuse it. But its getting to the point from here on out how he shapes that list.

Name the 3 players we could play instead of Turner, Hrovat and McDonald who would actually make us a better side?

This is a very good point. That comes down to our lack of development and cattle

I think it’s more that we will never know if we never try though. Not using the VFL to make under performing players work on their form while providing opportunities to fast track the young kids development in the AFL

Having a 5 year gamer constantly stink it up is also sending the wrong message to the rest of the players and the VFL player hunting for their spot. It could discourage so many players “what does it take for me to get my opportunity?”. I would be frustrated to play VFL, even at a mid-range level to never be picked over someone in the afl that is playing way worse over a long period of time.

I’d be like meh what’s the point, Brad will never drop him, I’ll have to wait until he’s injured. This breeds complacency and blunts development imo and this is why we’re seeing these issues time and time again

As I’ve said before we need to do some different. Take the ******* risk! It may fail miserably but at least we will know

In 2017 Richmond used 38 players and won the Premiership. What happened to us that year? :stern look

This year only using 30 players highlights how Scotts has been loathe to drop underperforming senior Types. Who has he dropped this year? Clarke, LDU, Murphy. Who else? :stern look

Also this year the following guys who have previously played seniors have not played a senior game. Preuss, McKay, Larkey, Neilson, Hibberd, J Williams with Garner and Mountford being injured. Scotts sticks fat with Senior Types regardless. :stern look

Exactly this

He’s even admitted if Petrie, Harvey etc all played on he would have picked them over the youth

People bagging boomer and what he would of provided the team playing forward pocket is laughable.

We know his defensive side of his game wasn’t the best but rat and sugar are giving us nothing in attack or defence.

Boomer would of kicked 30-40 goals without trying.
Scott ****** up
Anyway he’s gone and we have to make do with what we have

Hell, I reckon I'm a chance for 20 - 30 goals in that case. Do you even remember Boomer's last year. Offensively, well yeah he still new how to get cheapies but his tackling, defensive running and accountability was a big reason our structures fell over. He and Dal were the biggest culprits. All 4 were cooked. There were times where Boomer would have the ball and get confronted by the oppo and would freeze and invariably he would cough it up.

The biggest issue was that Boomer was a poor leader because he never embraced Scott's game plan. Also helped that the coach idolised him ;)

You and others only remember his positives.

I thought Brad could of made a bigger statement with the selection today and send a clear message to the playing group on what is the desired minimum effort.

Huge missed opportunity to do so in my book.

IDGAF if we don’t have enough depth. We simply should not be rewarding players with continuous selection in thier rleffort isn’t there.

However we should reward those who are not knocking down the door in the seconds? :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell, I reckon I'm a chance for 20 - 30 goals in that case. Do you even remember Boomer's last year. Offensively, well yeah he still new how to get cheapies but his tackling, defensive running and accountability was a big reason our structures fell over. He and Dal were the biggest culprits. All 4 were cooked. There were times where Boomer would have the ball and get confronted by the oppo and would freeze and invariably he would cough it up.

The biggest issue was that Boomer was a poor leader because he never embraced Scott's game plan. Also helped that the coach idolised him ;)

You and others only remember his positives.
Laughable post...

Yeah all 500 possessions and 60 shots on goal = "cheapies"

We remember him as a champion who prepared well and played at a very good level for most of his career. You remember him as a downhill skier, who was a poor leader running around getting "cheapies"

The small forwards we have now arnt even qualified to tie Harveys boots. He would still do more damage than the lot of them...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Laughable post...

We remember him as a champion who prepared well and played at a very good level for most of his career. You remember him as a downhill skier, who was a poor leader running around getting "cheapies"

The small forwards we have now arnt even qualified to tie Harveys boots. He would still do more damage than the lot of them...

And if he did play on and Brad kept playing while obviously a liability in today's game, you and others would be the first to lay the boots in to Brad because he continues not to give games to Turner or Hrovat due to playing Boomer.

The right decision was made and yet you and others continue to moan and whinge nearly 2 years on. Seriously he was COOKED.

If that's the case, then why havnt we seen more kids this season?

Our bottom 8 players are piss poor but Scott's cant restructure to get performing twos players in- McKay, Larkey and other blokes that need games getting dropped LDU, Murphy

Next week

Mate, ask Brad that question because I'm asking the same thing myself.

I dno why we persist with certain players when clearly we have better ones. Larkeys a ways off I reckon, but McKays been ready all year. LDU being dropped over Sympkin this week was a crime, and Murphy should be playing the rest of this year if finals was off the books weeks ago.
Next week

Laughable post...

Remember him as a champion that has bugger all chance of playing afl.

Points have been made. Any sentimental fool pining can pine all they like.

It is an emotional game.

And a physical game.

He is not coming back to save us. Out of respect the club revered him and pays him to talk to old ladies.

It is a competition. Cam Joyce is aiming for 400 game players. Back him in. Cull the coaching staff. Josh drummond who barely survived on talent at an exodus club. F**6 him off. Tudor gone. Piss little twat that survived at all level as a dibber- dobber of coach instructed standards. Gone. Gavin brown. Get gone now. There are lots of people out there.....

Time to poach coaches instead of spooks.

Last edited:
On Boomer, the guy was able to get us back into games that we were hanging onto. But this isn't the full story...

This didn't happen until another player like Gibbo, Swallow, JZ, Higgo, Cunners or any other senior player at the time, upped their intensity. e.g. Round 1 2016 blitz from Boomer started from Gibbo's tackle efforts at HFF...

Boomer had many electric third quarters but they were fuelled by the team's collective increase of intensity around the ball. Hence when we were down, Boomer was down as well.

If Harvey was focusing on his defensive deficiencies in a side that needed him to just get the ball in between the big sticks, his 2016 season would've been average.

He was amazing for what we needed him for but unfortunately, coaches did expose Boomer on numerous occasions. 2013 against Adelaide @ Etihad comes to mind when Boomer's man Douglas, easily runs away from him, receives the ball at HFF and bombs it into a 1v1. Goal. Adelaide get the momentum and we lose. It was picked up by a footy media outlet I can't remember.

We relied on him and he relied on us.

Balance didn't work. And we paid the ultimate price.

And if he did play on and Brad kept playing while obviously a liability in today's game, you and others would be the first to lay the boots in to Brad because he continues not to give games to Turner or Hrovat due to playing Boomer.

The right decision was made and yet you and others continue to moan and whinge nearly 2 years on. Seriously he was COOKED.
Oookkkay...

Cooked lol

A liability lol

500 possessions + 36 goals. No one in the current team is getting anywhere near that offensively. No one.

I dont even really care that boomer was retired, but replacing him with utter potatoes hasnt really worked imo, unless you value pressure acts more than goals and goal assists?

Turner is giving us nothing at small forward, it’s a shame Zurhaar is hurt, same goes for Garner obviously, but Walker walks straight into that spot for mine.

Jmac is a team leader (burst out laughing with me), so he won’t be dropped, play him on the wing in Lmac’s spot.

Drop Lmac for Murphy. I don’t care if he runs out of gas by the last quarter, we need to condition the team to play through him off half back. He should take kick in duty as well.

With Brown, Wood, and Walker forward, I’d trial Ziebell as a defender, you never know. He can help Marley out with the smaller types and that gives Thompson a week to get his face put back in place.
Tarrant, Maj and Ziebell is a strong goddamn backline.

Hrovat. Kills me. Hayden isn’t ready, but with the way our season is trending, I wouldn’t be against saying stuff it and play the kid for a quarter of whatever he’s got, and then live with the rest.
Rat is taking us nowhere.

I’ll be shocked if Preuss gets a game this season. Scott loves Goldy too much.

I’d love to drop Wright but we have no one else to come in for him, we really miss EVW. Maybe Neilsen?

What a stuff up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he couldn't drop LT could he?

Hi

How was he cooked when he was kicking goals . He had his best year in front of the sticks in his last . If Turner and Hrovat could only kick half of what Harvey did in his last year we would’ve beaten Richmond , Essendon , Sydney Maybe GC in round 1 they’ve kick 9 goals collectively that’s a joke for any small forward . The thing is he was doing it at AFL level at 38 .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back