Preview Rd2 Geelong V Hawthorn Fri 12 June 2020 7:50pm @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont see why we gave JJ 2 years if we didnt intend to play him, pick the bloke and see how it goes over a prolonged period.
We selected Crameri ..I suppose he was a rookie though, but v little difference nowadays.

Zac Guthrie disagrees. Didn’t touch the ball once until the 3rd quarter. May as well as not been on the field.

Can only assume he was running and spreading to the coaches satisfaction, and those attributes are more important to them than actual possessions.

Can only assume he was running and spreading to the coaches satisfaction, and those attributes are more important to them than actual possessions.
Perryman turned him inside out 3 or 4 times, just has to be dropped, disappointing as I thought his pre season actually showed promise.

More like just spreading

It would be a joke if he was selected after that pathetic showing.

How shiny is Chris Scotts car looking atm?

Hopefully not THAT shiny!!

He simply has to make way for someone else. Surely they won't retain him?? 😯

On another note, the shorter quarters are a bit of a worry. We're notoriously slow off the mark, and the Hawks could jump us real quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Re-Set Round #2 will be the equivalent of getting a clean start after the gun fires; shortened season n' all.

We have to be ready to absolutely barnstorm these guys.

I have no qualms whatsoever about pinching an asterix-y Covid-Flag.

There are clubs still out there that picked up flags while we were unable to field a side during the WWII, and were weakened during the WWI.
You grab 'em where you can; better Us than Them.

Hawthorn at home is a huge 'get', we cannot afford to slip up.

Circumstances didn't allow me to watch the Rd 1 loss to GWS; nonetheless in many ways it is a brand new season and why shouldn't we just pinch one outta the blue for once?

Last year's results are inconclusive as to whether we are a Chance; we had a half-time lead on eventual Premiers Richmond in the Preliminary Final, and yet we were always playing catch-up after Collingwood had exposed us two weeks prior.

Jack Steven needs to get in there and show whatever he has; chuck him in a forward pocket even if he is half-fit - we need someone to cover the defection of Tim Kelly, and there are no juniors crying out to duel with the troubled-but-talented new guy for a spot.

I'm all about sticking with Esava Ratugolea through thick n' thin this season; re-assess at the end of the year - give him as much exposure as possible and ride out the quiet games. He was apparently woeful in Rd 1; yet he was excellent in our win against the Eagles in the Semi final last year. If he has to ruck to keep his spot then let him ruck. Persevere I say.

Same with Parfitt, Narkle, O'Connor, Henry, Miers and Clark - they'll have ups and downs, the club needs to back them in to narrow the gap between their best and worst contributions sooner rather than later.

The Covid-break would have done the likes of Joel Selwood and Mitch Duncan the world of good; a bit of time to get their bodies right without the demanding intervention of actual games should be all they need to get back to their influential best - I'd back both in to have a big impact in the coming weeks.

I think if we're a chance to upstage the opposition it might be through our smalls; we just need one or two of a long list of candidates in Cockatoo, Fogarty, Tarca, Atkins or even Evans to consistently step up in providing forward support for Hawkins and Miers, and surely one will .. ?

I'm not sure that this kind of hit-and-run season will suit Chris Scott's philosophically dour approach; I do think we potentially have the kind of squad to pull it off however.

Dangerfield has memorably fired against the Hawks before (x2 to my memory); time to bust out another for his 250th and a much-needed 2020 win.

Quite rightly. Cowan got eight years doing that, and for four of them he wasn’t even on the field. No reason for Guthrie not to follow this stellar example.

I always enjoying watching them see their opposition get the ball, then hare off in all directions to some vacant space somewhere

This Re-Set Round #2 will be the equivalent of getting a clean start after the gun fires; shortened season n' all.

We have to be ready to absolutely barnstorm these guys.

I have no qualms whatsoever about pinching an asterix-y Covid-Flag.

There are clubs still out there that picked up flags while we were unable to field a side during the WWII, and were weakened during the WWI.
You grab 'em where you can; better Us than Them.

Hawthorn at home is a huge 'get', we cannot afford to slip up.

Circumstances didn't allow me to watch the Rd 1 loss to GWS; nonetheless in many ways it is a brand new season and why shouldn't we just pinch one outta the blue for once?

Last year's results are inconclusive as to whether we are a Chance; we had a half-time lead on eventual Premiers Richmond in the Preliminary Final, and yet we were always playing catch-up after Collingwood had exposed us two weeks prior.

Jack Steven needs to get in there and show whatever he has; chuck him in a forward pocket even if he is half-fit - we need someone to cover the defection of Tim Kelly, and there are no juniors crying out to duel with the troubled-but-talented new guy for a spot.

I'm all about sticking with Esava Ratugolea through thick n' thin this season; re-assess at the end of the year - give him as much exposure as possible and ride out the quiet games. He was apparently woeful in Rd 1; yet he was excellent in our win against the Eagles in the Semi final last year. If he has to ruck to keep his spot then let him ruck. Persevere I say.

Same with Parfitt, Narkle, O'Connor, Henry, Miers and Clark - they'll have ups and downs, the club needs to back them in to narrow the gap between their best and worst contributions sooner rather than later.

The Covid-break would have done the likes of Joel Selwood and Mitch Duncan the world of good; a bit of time to get their bodies right without the demanding intervention of actual games should be all they need to get back to their influential best - I'd back both in to have a big impact in the coming weeks.

I think if we're a chance to upstage the opposition it might be through our smalls; we just need one or two of a long list of candidates in Cockatoo, Fogarty, Tarca, Atkins or even Evans to consistently step up in providing forward support for Hawkins and Miers, and surely one will .. ?

I'm not sure that this kind of hit-and-run season will suit Chris Scott's philosophically dour approach; I do think we potentially have the kind of squad to pull it off however.

Dangerfield has memorably fired against the Hawks before (x2 to my memory); time to bust out another for his 250th and a much-needed 2020 win.

Always enjoy your posts CC. :thumbsu:

Which players not in the R1 side will be in our best side? Possibly 3 or 4 ?

It will be worth noting how CS does approach the season... for multiple years I have dealt he has worked over summer and we have started well yet run out of puff under the microscope of critical analysis and the wear and tear of the season. Maybe a shortened season helps him and us... I do worry that the best 10 players R1 were mainly the older players ,if eve having a seasoned group of players that can handle unusual situations this is the year... Ironically I had the feeling he had tried to ramp us up slower this year, we looked under done against GWS. And how much time do we give to younger players , when they can't show any VFL form. How much do we have a look towards the future... we did not end up with 3 R1 picks just because of luck. It would not surprise me to see us trade 1 or two for players or picks , next years draft is apparnetly another good one. ( have we heard that before? haha) .... and with only 16 games... does that keep side in the comp longer or does fit mean they will be able to decider quicker when it will not be there year.

It will be an Astro year but would I knock back a flag? Of course not... Ess don't deny 93 when there was less games in the year. only 20 games in a year when we were coming home like a steam train. Anything pre 1968 had a max of 20 , mostly 18 games per season and in the 1920's there was 16 or less per season.

1925 we won the flag. was a R17 season... and that is rated just like any other on the Premiership Grand Stand.

Hopefully not THAT shiny!!

He simply has to make way for someone else. Surely they won't retain him?? 😯

On another note, the shorter quarters are a bit of a worry. We're notoriously slow off the mark, and the Hawks could jump us real quick.
Couldn't be less true, sorry. Last year we were second only to Richmond for 1st quarter wins. We had 15W 6L 1D 134.11% in 1st Qs (Richmond 16W 6L 159.38%). Our 4th Qs were our worst at 12W 9L 1D 129.43% (still good enough for 3rd position in that Q).
I agree fast starts will be critical but that was an area we kinda "fixed" last year after bad starts in 2018.

Big 8 pointer. Wouldn’t want them 2 games clear of us. They’re one of the teams fighting for our finals spot. Seems hawks backline is quite tall apart from Hardwick. Hardwick to Ablett, so Griers , Dahlhaus, Parfitt maybe could be the keys??
The key will be to kick better than 1 goal 8 behinds in the last quarter and half, that's what beat us last time.

Couldn't be less true, sorry. Last year we were second only to Richmond for 1st quarter wins. We had 15W 6L 1D 134.11% in 1st Qs (Richmond 16W 6L 159.38%). Our 4th Qs were our worst at 12W 9L 1D 129.43% (still good enough for 3rd position in that Q).
I agree fast starts will be critical but that was an area we kinda "fixed" last year after bad starts in 2018.

Fair enough.

Let's hope 2019 remains the trend, and not the year that bucked it.

if Zach Guthrie gets a game when we have a full list then I'd say we are not wanting the season.
When you have Blicavs, Taylor, Stewart, O'Connor, Henry, Clark, Bews, Tuohy Henderson and Kolo before him in defense, it would be silly if he played.
Also with Selwood, Steven, Dangerfield, Duncan, Parfitt, Narkle, Cockatoo, Clark, Dahlhaus, Menegola, Guthrie, Cockatoo, Constable, Fogary before him in the middle. What are they thinking????Please, an element of common sense to prevail this very important season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back