Preview Rd2 Geelong v Hawthorn Mon Apr 2 MCG 3:20 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to get the juices flowing...

And this should do it..

This is a rivalry. This is what its based on. Getting the blood pressure up when you see things like the above - but also knowing that there are things like the following...

and then..

and not to leave out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-Zhz6nb2c

and more recently..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPNKFaBvlqc

and even last year..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCc4Dg-ZLMs

This is Rivalry. They all count.

It simply does not matter the generation, the round, the list.

When its GFC Vs HFC - its rivalry. From Bruns and Matthews, to Yates and Brereton, to Scarlett and Roughy, to Selwood and Hodge.

Its on. Its hard. Its uncomprimisng. Its ugly at times. But its respected. Players from other clubs watch and wish they were in it such is the aura of these match ups.

And Easter Monday, about 320pm at the MCG, is the yearly meeting of these two teams that just dont let the fans down when it comes to delivering in these contests. It could be 17th V 18th and it would still be on. But we all know that the GFC dont drop below 12th. The Hawks however.... they know bottoms.
But enough of that.

This time some of the names of the epics of recent history have moved on. Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Enright, Lonergan, Mackie no longer cross the white lines in Brown and Yellow and Blue and White. Well, our guys retired as one club players the other lot had to drag out to another club to sully their one club status for some extra cash ... but whatever.

And at least one old face returns to recommence pleasantries.
GAJ is back. Still with Duncan, Selwood, Hawkins and possibly not Taylor - there are not many of the early epics left - but there are new faces and the new breed to be indoctrinated to THE RIVALRY.

As for the game itself, the only guarantee is that there will be nothing left in the tank at the end of it for either side. This is not the game of saving anything or holding back. It's Round 2 - most teams will be one eye this week but looking forward. Not here.

The Hawks may face a new challenge - one the likes of which unseen in recent times. 3 of the 5 best Mids in the game. PFD, Sel and GAJ. Read it and weep. The rest of the team however is not as deep.
Defensively, HT and Hendo are gone. As is Domsy and Mackie. Suddenly thats 4 of the 6 from last year missing. Its a new look back there. 2E, Bews, Kolo, Stewart and Blitz. Maybe add a Thurlow if they go defender for defender.

If not, look for a re-jig in the centre. Zac Smith could stay, with Blitz a permanent KPD and Stanley in the forward line after his 4 goal effort in the VFL. Not to say that the newest cult fad to hit Sleepy Hollow since the fidget spinner - Esava "Big Sav" Ratugolea does not deserve to stay there. But there may be team balance phrase thrown around. Mind you, Big Sav was not disgraced against the AFL's top 3 ruck in Max Gawn and his work around the ball with his ability to influence the 1%ers well noted.

Cocky and PFD are also chomping to get back in. That means unlike Thunderdome, 2 men enter and 2 must leave... except if you are now an Emergency than apparently you can have 4 o_O
So who goes out? Murda, Fogarty, Zuthrie, Gregson? There are no easy answers.

As for the other mob that insist on fronting up against us, they have some issues of their own.
Mitchell has been charged by the ICC for ball theft - reasoned as there is no way a bloke can rack up 54 possessions without his own ball. And JOM, the pretty one, has left being the Male Model from Mudgee behind and is playing the kind of footy that he was always projected to play.

Burgers, Rough, Poppy, Smith, McEvoy, and yes even that thing they call Cyril are all still there running amok - and the Pies offered little resistance so they all looked like millionaires.

The Snowboard king Burton will be a likely out for them but sadly the most punchable face in Sicily will still be there.

Can Esava and Hawkins give the ghost of Gibbo and Shoenmakers the nightmares of Qualifying finals past with us finally having 2 tall targets up forward? Can Mitch Duncan give Mitchell the middle finger by picking up 60 of his own as they are too worried about the 3 Amigos - and I dont mean Martin Short, Steve Martin and Chevy Chase - Millennials look it up FFS.

Needless to say, CS will have his hands full as Clarko will be reaping the rewards of getting Scotty hammered on the last the International Rules trip and stealing all his Plan B's.

All in all, im about out of Scotch and cant be ****ed getting another one so this too must end.

This Cats team will be vastly different from the one in 89, the ones that held the Kennett Curse up and those even from last year. But one thing will be certain. A backward step will not be taken by the Blue and White Hoops once Easter Monday @320 pm comes around.

The Rivalry will continue and another epic chapter added.

And without doubt the blood pressure will be up for this one too.

Go Catters

Last edited:
There will be some changes this week.
Any one that goes out not based on injury will be unlucky but PFD in for sure.
HT maybe out.
Will be interesting to see too with Stanley kicking 4 in the VFL. Does Blitz need to stay back and bring in Stanley to help ruck and play forward? Does that take Sav out? Stiff IMO but might happen.

Kelly to stay. Does Gregson and Fog both stay if Cocky is ready?

Will be hard to tell.

Will Selwood be ready after the soreness?

Reckon this will be a great game.... again.

Imagine that... a Cats Hawks classic...

Go Catters

Surely Cocky comes in for Parsons? Gregson or Fog for Danger. Can the back line of Blitz,Kolo,Bews,2E and Zuthrie contain Ruffy,Gunstan,Shoenmakers,Rioli and Poopoloplo? Tough task. We should smash em in the guts with Danger, Sel, Ablett and Kelly. Will be another blockbuster. Cats by 1pt.

Hawks looked pretty good the other night although Collingwood were atrocious. For all the attention Mitchell gets it was Omeara who impressed me the most. Quality player when he's on the park.

I actually think we should rotate a couple of players out with an eye forward to the west coast game because it's a 6 day break and we normally struggle to back up from Easter Monday.

For example I might give Menegola a week off this week but he'll take over a lot of Ablett's midfield minutes against West Coast (I doubt GAJ travels to Perth). Similar with Gregson and Fogarty maybe playing 1 week each. I just know we struggle after the Easter game and having 3-4 fresh bodies coming in might help us not be too lethargic in Perth. I wouldn't be resting essential players but guys in areas we've got depth like in midfield and half forward.

Hawks looked pretty good the other night although Collingwood were atrocious. For all the attention Mitchell gets it was Omeara who impressed me the most. Quality player when he's on the park.

I actually think we should rotate a couple of players out with an eye forward to the west coast game because it's a 6 day break and we normally struggle to back up from Easter Monday.

For example I might give Menegola a week off this week but he'll take over a lot of Ablett's midfield minutes against West Coast (I doubt GAJ travels to Perth). Similar with Gregson and Fogarty maybe playing 1 week each. I just know we struggle after the Easter game and having 3-4 fresh bodies coming in might help us not be too lethargic in Perth. I wouldn't be resting essential players but guys in areas we've got depth like in midfield and half forward.
Interesting. The other option of course might be to not bring in guys like Scoot and Cocky until the trip over to Perth so they can then take up some of the slack.

Interesting. The other option of course might be to not bring in guys like Scoot and Cocky until the trip over to Perth so they can then take up some of the slack.

I don't think Scooter will play this week no matter what but bringing him in for Perth works really well for us. Maybe Cocky too but I think he could become a vital part of the team and I just want to see him finally get on the park again.

Overall though I'd be rotating a lot this year. With our list there's not a big difference between player number 15 and 30 on our list and we need to be 100% come finals. I'd worry less about whether we're playing 98% of our best team or 100% of our best team and look to keep players fresh and get games into our talented kids who we want to get some experience before finals. I think overall we'll be better for it.

I don't understand anyone who thinks that Fog shouldn't be in this side. 20 touches and a goal on debut? What more did you bloodsuckers want?

Agreed. He was impressive. Need to play him regularly because he should be in our best 22 late in the year. It helps that he looks like a young Joel Selwood too...

I don't understand anyone who thinks that Fog shouldn't be in this side. 20 touches and a goal on debut? What more did you bloodsuckers want?
There was a 30 second period at the start of the 3rd quarter (I think) where he made about four mistakes in a row. I thought “oh dear”. But apart from that he was very solid. Plenty to work with.

Glad I'm not on match committee this week, Harry Taylor out , who comes in , House was amongst VFL best, or do we send Blits back and bring in Stanley as 2nd ruck. Who goes out for Danger and Cocky, I hate to think it but Cory Gregson had the least possessions of all the smalls, But I love his pressure and don't want him dropped. The kids should hold their spots on performance so I just don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Cocky comes in for Parsons? Gregson or Fog for Danger. Can the back line of Blitz,Kolo,Bews,2E and Zuthrie contain Ruffy,Gunstan,Shoenmakers,Rioli and Poopoloplo? Tough task. We should smash em in the guts with Danger, Sel, Ablett and Kelly. Will be another blockbuster. Cats by 1pt.

I love this post because it highlights how good kelly's debut was but I reckon Duncan would be going "really I have been replaced as the fourth beatle already"

Glad I'm not on match committee this week, Harry Taylor out , who comes in , House was amongst VFL best, or do we send Blits back and bring in Stanley as 2nd ruck. Who goes out for Danger and Cocky, I hate to think it but Cory Gregson had the least possessions of all the smalls, But I love his pressure and don't want him dropped. The kids should hold their spots on performance so I just don't know.

That would be my guess. Stanley had a very good game in the VFL.

I find it really strange this idea that Ablett will be rested for interstate games. He will play pretty much every game unless injured. That is a guarantee.

I find it really strange this idea that Ablett will be rested for interstate games. He will play pretty much every game unless injured. That is a guarantee.

Aging player with an injury history. Most important to get him right for finals especially since we can cover his position (obviously not to the same quality).

Parsons was one of our best on the weekend.

It may depend of the week before also - our first interstate trip is to Perth & coming off a 6 day break. They may find that a good time to give him a rest.

And don't forget that after the Perth trip, we have a 7 day break until our first Geelong home match which is followed up by another 6 day break with a trip to Adelaide.

I think that between the two interstate trips being on 6 day breaks, that depending on available options that we will rest a couple of players who maybe do need to be managed throughout the year to ensure they are primed for the finals. Last year Menzel started the season with a bang, but his output did decrease in the back half of the season - so if Crameri comes through the VFL ok & builds up his match fitness then we might see him debut against Port in a straight swap for Menzel to give him a week off.

Big game boys. Should be a big crowd too and a good atmosphere with Danger back playing with Lil Gaz(a Hawfie favourite)
If Menegola isn't gonna tag Mitchell I'd turf him out for Danger.
Greggers outski for Cocky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back