Preview Rd23 2018 Richmond v Western Bulldogs MCG Saturday 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What role does Broad really play, now that the backline is back at full strength I would reckon he is the next one to make way. Depending on the opposition forward line.

B.Ellis is a reliable player, gut runner etc I'd be keeping him in.

I wouldnt drop Higgins.
Getting better by the week and has that freskish ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat.
I guess time will tell if he can handle the heat and pressure of finals or better yet a grand final.

He stays in for me, all the way to a grand final.

I wouldnt drop Higgins.
Getting better by the week and has that freskish ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat.
I guess time will tell if he can handle the heat and pressure of finals or better yet a grand final.

He stays in for me, all the way to a grand final.
Yep stays in until he shows a reason to be dropped. Absolutely earns his spot.

Yep stays in until he shows a reason to be dropped. Absolutely earns his spot.
Amazing when you think about it. We under estimate how good his performance actually is.
Pick 18 or whatever he was to force his way into a premierhip team and quite possibly become a premiership player.

Cant wait for his next season.

Amazing when you think about it. We under estimate how good his performance actually is.
Pick 18 or whatever he was to force his way into a premierhip team and quite possibly become a premiership player.

Pick 1 or 40, the difference in how a player performs could be as simple as " a players enthusiasm and love for the game"!

Higgins has that

Rance has it, yet less now then when he first started... now it's experience and professionalism...

In the end team balance may be the final qualification, although for one position only, runner/forward with enthusiasm may be a positive...

What role does Broad really play, now that the backline is back at full strength I would reckon he is the next one to make way. Depending on the opposition forward line.

B.Ellis is a reliable player, gut runner etc I'd be keeping him in.
Broad is one of 4 tall defenders. But can run hard. Bellis is one of the 4 small defenders. Houli & Short play similar roles. Vlas is not as easy replaceable. He marks like a tall. If I had to drop a defender it would be Broad or Bellis. I wouldn't mind playing Bellis in the middle.
Fwd line. I like our small fwd line. If Butler gets fit, I'd love to have him in. But Higgins just keeps doing enough to not get dropped. Can also play midfield which allows Dusty to go fwd.
But KMac or Conca are likely to be the outs for Lambert.
Conca's injuries this year have not been hammies. And I think it'd be great if a few different players had the opp. to win a premiership.

I feel that we are going to give the dogs a hiding. They were pretty awful last week and would have lost if they were playing anyone other than Carlton. I know that we weren't great either, but I've a feeling that our guys are going to lift the intensity this week.

We'll win by 80 points.

There's 3 players who - barring injury - are realistic chances of coming into the team during the finals.

Lambert (definitely).
Butler (probably).
Townsend (possibly).

And the 3 most likely to make way, in my opinion...

Conca.
Higgins.
B.Ellis.

Not saying all 3 changes will happen, but if there's any it will be those players.

And maybe Butler will be kept out of the side by Higgins' even good performance this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe Broad name coming up in getting dropped so under rated this guy still up to now.Gives us flexibility in our backline big time and alwsys gets his job done.

On Kmac last month been alot better vfl woke him up like Ellis.Those two give us alot of run and speed to wouldn't drop them.

Can't believe Broad name coming up in getting dropped so under rated this guy still up to now.Gives us flexibility in our backline big time and alwsys gets his job done.
Agree. No chance he'll get dropped. Has gone to another level this year.

On Kmac last month been alot better vfl woke him up like Ellis.Those two give us alot of run and speed to wouldn't drop them.

100% agree. Gives us great versatility as well. 2 of our losses this year have been with him out of the side and we have gone 24 wins 4 losses when he has played. Clearly not all due to him but we can move players around far more effectively with him in the side. He is a lock in my books.

My only feeling about this game is enjoy it.

These are days to be treasured.
The invincible Tigers winning game after game with the MCG Tiger house rocking every game.

Go, enjoy, bring the kids, give them a taste.

Amen brother! :thumbsu:

I love Higgins but his best role is Lambert. High half forward that goes into stopages.
He isnt that effective atm as a small forward (Butlers spot)
IMO he will be the unlucky one come finals time if Butler is right.

Hey our Captain is being given a day off (rested)

The guys coming back are genuine first 22 quality. But so is everyone that is in this week. And we have a couple of pretty much first 22 quality players in the VFL.

It's more of a balance thing if Lambo or Butler come back. Who goes to maintain or improve the team's balance?

Conca is an inside & Outside midfielder that does a heap of work to free up the stars. He adds to the team in a number of ways.
Higgins is a vibrant energizer bunny whose added a heap to the team's chemistry in his first year! He has lots of tricks and seems to be getting his feet even more now. He adds to the team in a way that adds variety to us
BEllis is a fantastic runner who has added contested ball and physical impact to his good skills. He helps us play our style
KMac is a fantastic runner with a great size, appetite for the contest, and loves to hit hard. He adds a range of attributes to us both defensively and in attack. We need something like him for how we play.
Broad, great defender with attacking flair, who can take taller and smaller players. Improves our defense, which is a bedrock of our game.
Fill in name here of bottom 6-8 player and you get something similar

Lambert - great runner, accumulates and is a serious part of why our midfield and game style works - definite best 18, adds something distinctive
Butler - great runner with flair who helps to create chaos and fear in defenses through the combo of 3 elite running machines chasing you down. On his own not worth a heap, but in combination with Rioli and George worth gold.

There is no logical like for like replacement for either of the 2 guys coming back. More decisions wither we want to bolster the midfield (at the expense of …), do we want to add to that manic forward pressure (at the expense of …)?

Hard times in the selection room coming, if these players come back strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back