Autopsy Rd23 Buddy 10.2.62 defeats Carlton 8.9.57

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess who got the Rising Star Award? Will Hayward of the Swans who had 3 disposals for 3 goals. Lol.
Pickett had 9 disposals for 1.1 in a losing team.
Get real AFL.
Is Pickett still eligible next year?

Guess who got the Rising Star Award? Will Hayward of the Swans who had 3 disposals for 3 goals. Lol.
Pickett had 9 disposals for 1.1 in a losing team.
Get real AFL.
Is Pickett still eligible next year?

Lol indeed. My guess is the committee had decided to nominate him before the round even started. He's been very good this year and worthy of a nomination, but his past few weeks are showing that he's very young and needs to take a break.

This game always had a high risk of being a drubbing. Swans in red-hot form and tuning up for finals, Blues coming off a drought-breaker win and obviously tiring pretty fast on the season.

I think we shrug and forget about it pretty fast.

Off the top of my head, we only got flogged 3 times this year (Port, Cats, Swans). Which means we were "in" 19 games. All this blockhead footy media saying "the Blues don't score enough", "4/10 for the season", "we're not convinced", etc are missing the broader picture - as usual.

Bolton is doing what Roos did at Melbourne. First it's togetherness, discipline and defence. Stockpile talent. Then we work on ball movement and attack. All whilst the youngest trio of forwards (Curnow, Silvagni, McKay) find their way. 3 years from now those guys have the potential to be a menacing forward line, and the idiot commentators will act surprised. It's happening, it'll just take time.

I was interested to watch Liam Jones play Buddy from in front. I can only assume this was done under coach's instructions since it never stopped during the game (whilst I was watching), Jones never appeared to be instructed to play differently and playing in front has NOT been the Beast's usual method of play. When ASOS played on Buddy he played man on man, so the idea must have crossed the minds of our coach's. They wanted to try something and it didn't work. No biggie. So do not expect Buddy to get such an easy ride next time.

I think the main reason this was done is they were concerned that Buddy would be leading too far up the ground and would fatigue Jones. If you play him in front he's going to make a lot more runs backwards and end up staying closer to goals because you're cutting off all his leads before he properly makes them.

If that was the plan it was definitely devised with Plowman expected to play though. Because that allows Jones to have the loose tall around to kill the contest while he keeps body on Buddy.

This was a weirdarse game. I thought we were going ok, even if it didn't look likely we'd win. Then all of a sudden, it's a 10 goal margin. Then we get done by 80odd pints, lucky to avoid getting done by 200.
Yep.

In the third term, they were converting entries into goals at a phenominal rate. We got blown out based purely off that. And it was completely unprecedented in the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back