Preview Rd3 Geelong V Gold Coast Sun Apr 02 2:10pm Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Scott just alluded to Cameron missing training down to the birth of his child, not injury. Let us hope. On 360 if anyone wondering.

Was it that or was he just saying his pending child birth is of greater concern than his ribs?

Was it that or was he just saying his pending child birth is of greater concern than his ribs?
When asked his words were "He is fine, but he has bigger fish to fry right now. It's a very exciting time for him and his partner". So I read that as it's more pregnancy related but could be a smoke screen.

When asked his words were "He is fine, but he has bigger fish to fry right now. It's a very exciting time for him and his partner". So I read that as it's more pregnancy related but could be a smoke screen.

The biggest problem is we're trying to determine the truth of the situation by listening to the master of obsfucation.

This game has “slow start, unconvincing win” written all over it.
Yes PLEASE!

What has happened to the Suns? Towards the end of last year many pundits tipped them to leap into the 8 this year. Dew was coaching well, they signed him up however during the off season those predictions stopped coming.
They lost to the Swans by a big margin who they usually beat home and away and the Suns often start years really well. It’s the back end that gets them.
The conditions at this time of the year are challenging up north with the humidity. They ran Melbourne close who were excellent early on, took care of Carlton and easily beat Freo who were flying.
They also smack us in pre season matches.

When the fixture came out I suspected this would be a loss but the Suns are struggling, why?

Is there anything official that Cameron is injured apart from the usual rumors and overreactions on here? I know he looked sore on thurday night but it can be a rough game and your can be sore without bieng injured.

This year's competition is profoundly different; that is clear already.

We were never substantively 80 points better than the Lions and the Swans, but that's what can happen in finals when one club has got everything right, as we seemed to do last year. Margins can deceive.

We'll get out defenders back soon I hope, though Jack Henry is a concern.

The biggest worry for me is the mid-field: we look slow, we're not spreading quickly and, dare I say it, at times against the Blues we looked lazy. That will have to change in order to win on Sunday. Bruhn will need to get his hands on the ball a lot more. C Guthrie will have to hit his targets.

Danger will need to lift. At times he ignored the hard-running Close and chose to kick instead, to no good purpose. Close has been mediocre but his effectiveness depends in part on team cohesion; he is a classic link player. Mieirs leads the comp for goal assists, so I guess that settles that debate.

Wins at this part of the season is all that matters. Doesn't matter how much, as long as there are no injuries, we get the 4 points, thats all.

If we go deep into finals again, no one will give a s**t how we win against the Suns, just that we got the 4 points so we get into the finals.

Suns were bad against the Bombers, but Miller and their tall forwards are a concern. Weather is going to be 25 and wet on Sunday up there, not sure if that helps us but it will help our defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year's competition is profoundly different; that is clear already.

We were never substantively 80 points better than the Lions and the Swans, but that's what can happen in finals when one club has got everything right, as we seemed to do last year. Margins can deceive.

We'll get out defenders back soon I hope, though Jack Henry is a concern.

The biggest worry for me is the mid-field: we look slow, we're not spreading quickly and, dare I say it, at times against the Blues we looked lazy. That will have to change in order to win on Sunday. Bruhn will need to get his hands on the ball a lot more. C Guthrie will have to hit his targets.

Danger will need to lift. At times he ignored the hard-running Close and chose to kick instead, to no good purpose. Close has been mediocre but his effectiveness depends in part on team cohesion; he is a classic link player. Mieirs leads the comp for goal assists, so I guess that settles that debate.
Good post. I think Bruhn has to play inside or in vfl. GWS proved that he is not a wingman nor a hf. He is a bull. So we either think he is can play inside or not in my view. Maybe to create space they play Guth in that duncan role for next few weeks

i think with danger - he is what he is. The (mostly) good and bad. He has always been a power out and kick long kind of guy. That works with Hawk at his best and with danger at his best. If he is slightly off then it hurts us as he doesn’t play that link via handball footy and doubt he will start now

i think Close gets a few easy games now to get his mojo back. If not they need to look to give someone else a go…with simpson and Dempsey waiting…but not yet

Pardon the interruption CATS fans, I've always had a soft spot for your club blah blah... But can anyone explain why, if Cameron has actually missed training due to the impending birth of his child, he was reported as being at training looking ginger?
Welcome to Geelong's injury roulette. I'm not entirely sure what it's like at other clubs, but keeping everyone in the dark is kinda our specialty.

I'm going to disagree there. He may well have been the only to play at a high level. You think 21 other guys weren't trying? Or was it 6 performing to expectation and 15 a smidge below that? Quarters 2 and 3 were disappointing. Plenty had a good go and fell a bit short in the others.

This...

I know it's disappointing to lose, and there's a good chance we were all frustrated to various levels with what we've seen over the first 2 rounds, but at no stage did I think we only had 1 player trying

Last year we had a great round 1, some iffy games over the next 8 rounds and built over the remaining 16 games we played - I feel like some are expecting we were going to start this season as we finished off last season with that GF performance, but we look to have a few asterisk that haven't helped in achieving that

Losing is never fun, but players being a level or two below what we know they're capable of & now being the hunted, is a different proposition to players not turning up

Pardon the interruption CATS fans, I've always had a soft spot for your club blah blah... But can anyone explain why, if Cameron has actually missed training due to the impending birth of his child, he was reported as being at training looking ginger?
Ribs.

Chawkts I agree on Bruhn. I seems to take clubs a long time for the penny to drop on some players: Will Setterfield is now starring because someone woke up that's he's an inside mid. There are other examples.

On that subject i do feel Parfitt is not the answer: he seems not to have improved, has never been a big possession winner and has mediocre skills. It's vital for our success over the next few years that we get an elite mid-fielder; but I'm not sure how we're going to do it.

I think many posters react too adversely to the opinions of other posters if their opinion is too different to theirs.
What does it matter if some anonymous poster is pessimistic, realistic, glass half empty, irrationally despondent- to how the team will actually perform?
What we think has nothing to do with what the players bring us.
We should be able to express how we feel day by day, as long as it's not insulting other posters. There should be no fear of "can I say this, given it's what I believe right now"? Sometimes the irrationality of what we write is a catharsis anyway, just expressing it, and then reading how other posters have totally different perceptions is therapeutic in many ways.
On the other hand, if (irrational and )what we write spoils the enjoyment for others, maybe time for awol.
Great sentiments Vdubs
The vast majority of posters on here now have the Cats best interests at heart and post accordingly.
At the same time Footy is a very emotional game so sometimes we should think twice and pause before laying out there an irrational or provocative post - that's a universal rule for the internet IMHO :)
As in life , alternative views should be welcomed , and whilst not always agreed with or acted upon it's everyone's right to express them.
Having said that it someone is being a w***er I tend to ignore it and read on - after all no one ever wins an argument on the internet.....

In- Neale, Ceglar, Parfitt, Simpson
Out- Hawkins, SDK, Stanley, Whyte

B Bews Blivcas Z.Guthrie
HB Bowes Ratogolea Tuohy
C Holmes C.Guthrie Smith
HF Close Cameron O.Henry
F Rohan Neale Stengle
FOLL- Ceglar Bruhn Dangerfield
I/C- Atkins, Miers, O’Connor, Parfitt
Sub- Simpson

Chawkts I agree on Bruhn. I seems to take clubs a long time for the penny to drop on some players: Will Setterfield is now starring because someone woke up that's he's an inside mid. There are other examples.

On that subject i do feel Parfitt is not the answer: he seems not to have improved, has never been a big possession winner and has mediocre skills. It's vital for our success over the next few years that we get an elite mid-fielder; but I'm not sure how we're going to do it.

Darcy Parish has entered the chat, guy could well be the next Mitchell/Neale: leaves a poor club to win a Brownlow at a better one the following year. But that is for 2024.

Right now we carry too many utility types ala Zuthrie, MOC, Smith, 2E, Blicavs; good players but not ones who impact the contest regularly enough. With our injuries to players who do impact the contest it may even be a case of having that many utility types is a luxury we cant afford. Any mid who can come in and has the capacity to get to contest after contest is an option that has to be considered. If that is Parfitt so be it. It is a midfielders game now. Any player who can come in and impact the contest has to be considered.

Parfitt back in this week?
Very hard to see Parf & Bruhn co-existing in the same side.
Maybe if we are down some mid options, but I'd be very surprised if it was the ideal setup playing both as they really both are very one-dimensional and lack flexibility.
Also we have Atkins in the guts who is another small defensive type mid.

Very hard to see Parf & Bruhn co-existing in the same side.
Maybe if we are down some mid options, but I'd be very surprised if it was the ideal setup playing both as they really both are very one-dimensional and lack flexibility.
Also we have Atkins in the guts who is another small defensive type mid.
bruhn has more talent and younger so if its line ball I'm going with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back