AFLW Rd3. Geelong vs Adelaide Sunday 17 February, 2:05pm, Norwood Oval

May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
One of our biggest issues is that we are reactive not proactive.. Ball into a pack and we stand still to see where it pops out and are immediately on the back foot.

But that said I don't think anyone really expected us to be fantastic, Crows are a good team, we have a lot of youth and inexperience.. As long as they learn a lot from this and keep fighting that is all I care about
Well read. Apart from their heart, which i think is unquestionable, have they shown that they’ve learnt from prefious rounds yet?

Come into a game hoping but this isn’t really a surprise. Think Geelong, Carlton and Collingwood are probably lowest standard, perhaps GWS in there as well, given what Carlton did. How can two teams have their first year, Geelong and North, and their be such a massive difference in their standard of players? Understand a new club takes time to develop but North are clearly the best team in the league in year one and we are in the conversation for least skilled. Our players try hard and some structure has been good at times, setting up behind the ball and at times ability to open forward line, but one on one, we get beaten again and again, particular our defence.
Two different list builds, we chose to go a more organic list build by taking minimal players from other lists whereas North went out an took a bunch of the best players in the AFLW

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I've seen it in women's basketball but not sure with other sports - a few years back in the WNBL when Dave Herbert was coaching Perth he not only benched a couple of senior players (including the captain), but they were made to wear casual clothes & sit in the front row of the crowd due to lack of fitness. And that lasted a couple of weeks - good way of making a statement about acceptable standards

I know across a lot of top level womens sports in this country that they still have to work or study outside of their sporting commitments - but that's no excuse for lack of fitness

Mmmm ... I wonder if that type of coaching would last now... didn't the Soccer coach just get canned for "Body" shaming...

Go and have a look at the Netball ..still the occasional GS that can be that old fashioned body shape... but as the talent of the fit girls increase the girls not fit enough to go with them will fall off. Id say have a look at some of the body shapes in the VFL in the 60's or 70's... even as recent as Rioli at Ess ...if your talent is obviously in excess of the opposition then conditioning can be accommodated.

Scary thing is we got within 2 points after Purcell's goal, then the Crows went bang. Two soft 50m penalties out of the middle didn't help, nor did fumbling in the backline when trying to clear defensive 50.

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
I've seen it in women's basketball but not sure with other sports - a few years back in the WNBL when Dave Herbert was coaching Perth he not only benched a couple of senior players (including the captain), but they were made to wear casual clothes & sit in the front row of the crowd due to lack of fitness. And that lasted a couple of weeks - good way of making a statement about acceptable standards

I know across a lot of top level womens sports in this country that they still have to work or study outside of their sporting commitments - but that's no excuse for lack of fitness
Herbert is a very good coach and sporting brain in general. Understands that culture is not just about group think.. its also about personal accountability. Hes heading up pathways and development at the Lady Super Cats now I believe.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Very disappointing, but umpiring is unfair, our Girlz get penalised, while Crows are not!

The umpiring is about the standard of a developing comp .... but to be fair the uncoordinated and the unbalanced player tends to be called against at any level ..we are playing behind and we probably are just not switched on enough

Id love to say its good experience but some of these girls will probably not be here in two years ..

Two different list builds, we chose to go a more organic list build by taking minimal players from other lists whereas North went out an took a bunch of the best players in the AFLW
North took a win now approach, we took a build up to be strong with a while approach... That was my take on it

Herbert is a very good coach and sporting brain in general. Understands that culture is not just about group think.. its also about personal accountability. Hes heading up pathays and development at the Lady Super Cats now I believe.

Best coach the Supercats women have had a and employed by basketball Geelong in a coaching development role.

He also stepped into the Basketball Geelong Acting CEO role late last year when there was a couple month gap after Dean Anglin moved into a new challenge.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
That close win against the Pies probably gave me a bit of false hope for the team. The Bulldogs last week and now the Crows showing our team has a ways to go to be competitive at this level.

BNF.. I think we have hit a better team each week... or the other side are getting better as the comp progresses... where as I dont think its about our girls just needing a warmup game. What I saw of Carlton last night .. im not confident that will be a easy game...at least it will be cooler..

Come into a game hoping but this isn’t really a surprise. Think Geelong, Carlton and Collingwood are probably lowest standard, perhaps GWS in there as well, given what Carlton did. How can two teams have their first year, Geelong and North, and their be such a massive difference in their standard of players? Understand a new club takes time to develop but North are clearly the best team in the league in year one and we are in the conversation for least skilled. Our players try hard and some structure has been good at times, setting up behind the ball and at times ability to open forward line, but one on one, we get beaten again and again, particular our defence.

North raiding the competition and picking the best half dozen or so players might have something to do with it. According to Champion Data, 3 of the players we picked up pre-trade were ranked above average or better, compared to 10 for North.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
North took a win now approach, we took a build up to be strong with a while approach... That was my take on it

North better win it now .... they will be raided big time 4 new clubs coming in. I think we tried to get players who will be happy to stick.. and our long term plan to develop the local girls

4-57 after 9
The same pitch as Friday night but playing completely differently - ball seems to be holding up more and will only get slower as afternoon goes on.

No its not.... youre better than that Kitty. Much better

Shocking umpiring.. That shouldn't be 50 when the player with the ball steps off the the line of the mark to go
If the player with the ball runs out to get near a player running past it shouldn't be 50 that was BS
Yep bullshit rule.
Funny how we get pinged for holding the ball after holding it for 5 seconds, but Adelaide players are afforded twice that length of time to dispose of it.

North better win it now .... they will be raided big time 4 new clubs coming in. I think we tried to get players who will be happy to stick.. and our long term plan to develop the local girls
I forgot there are 4 teams coming in... What a mistake that will be.. There is no where near the talent level to sustain the improved quality that is developing.

Back