• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldnt risk Houli or Cotchin this week and just rest them for the Saints game

Out: Cotchin , McIntosh , Prestia , Egg
In : Ross , Collier-Dawkins , Naish , Ralphsmith

Start giving kids games

I think there is almost zero chance of that happening. Dimma just doesn't do it unless we are completely rooted by injury. He seems to be very weary about putting more than 1 or 2 unproved kids in at any given time. I also think throwing them in against a quality team away in Port is not a very smart time to experiment with youth - i think Port would smash them

I think Houli in is a good idea, especially with Vloss still out. I agree with resting Cotch tho - i dont trust his hammys at all

Every time i watch GC i really miss Ellis. He is a genuine leader - really surprised GC havent appointed him captain tbh. He was a bigger loss that we all thought - maybe not the last 2 years, but certainly this year & the next couple he will be

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Egg out - why didn't I think of that.

Reckon Houli, who has played 3/4 of a practice match since the GF might need another week. Also turning 33 next month, not many players his age come back from injury and perform like he did 2 years ago. He will be a handy addition when up and running, but as his form showed early last year coming back from injury it takes him a while to find that form. Last seasons 14 games were at 18.6 disposals per game, the least since his debut year in 2007, way down on his injury free 2019 27.8 disposals per game.

I was joking about the Egg thing - I hope that came through, I know it's easily missed in text. :thumbsu:

It won't be easy for Houli to slot back in and play near his best early on, but we do seem inclined to pick him as soon as he's available, part of that may be down to his ability to help organise our setup down back, which has suffered through Vlas being out. Fitness aside, my major concern would be that his disposal by foot can be scratchy until he's got a few games under his belt.

I'm not sure I'd read *too* much into his decreasing possession count last year, part of it had to be down to us directing the ball through Short more often.

But yes, ages catches up with everyone sooner or later, even champions like Bach.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I was joking about the Egg thing - I hope that came through, I know it's easily missed in text. :thumbsu:

It won't be easy for Houli to slot back in and play near his best early on, but we do seem inclined to pick him as soon as he's available, part of that may be down to his ability to help organise our setup down back, which has suffered through Vlas being out. Fitness aside, my major concern would be that his disposal by foot can be scratchy until he's got a few games under his belt.

I'm not sure I'd read *too* much into his decreasing possession count last year, part of it had to be down to us directing the ball through Short more often.

But yes, ages catches up with everyone sooner or later, even champions like Bach.
Yeh got the Egg think, was trying to be funny back!
Also the shorter q's didn't help. Yes Short getting into better positions to rebound also didn't help.

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Yep, tbh i think Bach's defensive stuff is very underrated & something we need a bit more than his run atm, especially with Vloss out. We will need Short & Baker to provide most of the run - perhaps it is a good time to bring Naish in to be that outside run to allow Houli to play more as a "stopper" this week

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe other teams have done this before, usually it is just down to our pressure and effort. It wasn't there this week. Due to them being so good and us being a bit off.
Obviously Geelong would of tried to do this to us by keeping the ball off the ground
No doubt , swans style not dissimilar to wc they like to finesse with the ball . It’s a means of keeping it off the tigers but you gotta be good. These rules support that style , still it runs the gauntlet when the pressure rises, we re so early in the campaign and need to better learn to cover the Vlas gap which under new rules has further exposed our defences . A fit houli will help and if that mansell kid showed a bit with his marking, chasing and dash with ball in hand he too could find a spot

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeh got the Egg think, was trying to be funny back!

LOL, that was very dry! ;)

Yep, tbh i think Bach's defensive stuff is very underrated & something we need a bit more than his run atm, especially with Vloss out. We will need Short & Baker to provide most of the run - perhaps it is a good time to bring Naish in to be that outside run to allow Houli to play more as a "stopper" this week

Could definitely use Houli in that role and perhaps ongoing, perhaps we use Ralphsmith off the HBF, from what I understand that's been where he's been training to play and maybe he has a more defensive element to his game than Naish. Perhaps Naish will come in to provide a bit more pace and run on a wing.

Be a very interesting selection committee meeting this week, I reckon we'll see a new face or two which always brings a lot of interest to the match. :thumbsu:

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Houli seems close to selection.
So would bring in Houli and debutant Will Martyn for Kam and Prestia.
People will have a close look at Sydney and work out their tactics.
They remind me a little of Collingwood from a couple of years ago.
They would set up very fast starts and establish a match winning buffer at quarter time.
Certainly, the Geelong-Hawthorn game was a reversion to the defensive flood.

Last edited:

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I have a screengrab from early in the Geelong-Hawthorn game, only two Hawthorn forwards in front of the centre square.
IMG_20210406_015725.jpg

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Had a look through some of the Port highlights.
Most of their midfield is ageing.
But Houston is dangerous because he breaks through the lines when they play well.
He is only 23.
They have set up this year with the two tall forwards, Marshall is recent.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I have a screengrab from early in the Geelong-Hawthorn game, only two Hawthorn forwards in front of the centre square.
View attachment 1095658
I reckon later in Saturday game we experimented with the flood, remember lynch taking a mark right up the ground late , was a bloody long way from the goal sq

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
LOL, that was very dry! ;)

Could definitely use Houli in that role and perhaps ongoing, perhaps we use Ralphsmith off the HBF, from what I understand that's been where he's been training to play and maybe he has a more defensive element to his game than Naish. Perhaps Naish will come in to provide a bit more pace and run on a wing.

Be a very interesting selection committee meeting this week, I reckon we'll see a new face or two which always brings a lot of interest to the match. :thumbsu:
Naish 39p May bring him into calcs

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I think there is almost zero chance of that happening. Dimma just doesn't do it unless we are completely rooted by injury. He seems to be very weary about putting more than 1 or 2 unproved kids in at any given time. I also think throwing them in against a quality team away in Port is not a very smart time to experiment with youth - i think Port would smash them

I think Houli in is a good idea, especially with Vloss still out. I agree with resting Cotch tho - i dont trust his hammys at all

Every time i watch GC i really miss Ellis. He is a genuine leader - really surprised GC havent appointed him captain tbh. He was a bigger loss that we all thought - maybe not the last 2 years, but certainly this year & the next couple he will be

The kids i listed above have been at an AFL club 2-3 years , Compared to the Swans kids who are all 18 and still wet behind the ears with 'almost' 1 preseason
Crows kids handed the cats their asses in round 1.

Sometimes the youthful enthusiasm is just irresistible and just got to let it all hang out

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Opposition teams will have a good look at what Sydney does in these opening few weeks.
Have to stop the next disposal after the wing.
Once they get the ball to Gulden and Wicks across half forward, then it opens up scoring.
Have to corral them and force them to play along the boundary, knock the ball over, repeated throw ins.
Chewing up the time with stoppages enables the defence to set up.

Last edited:

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Think that Scott and Hinkley are innately conservative coaches.
Longmire trying something new for sure.
Goodwin rejigging the Dees forward line by adding Pickett on the forward line, enables Petracca to play at half forward, Oliver through the centre.
The Dees have always had trouble with consistency on their forward line.
But they haven't played a top side yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back