Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the very short kicking didn't go unnoticed by our coaching staff!

Damien Hardwick calls on the umpires to monitor the distance of Sydney’s kicking
Everyone in footy is in love with Sydney’s new game style. But do the umpires need to monitor one element a lot closer? Damien Hardwick thinks so.

Damien Hardwick says he will challenge umpires to closely monitor Sydney’s short-kicking game style after it picked apart Richmond’s defence.
The three-time premiership coach conceded his backline struggled to combat the Swans’ fast ball movement in the 45-point loss at the MCG, but questioned the distance of some of their passes.

“Their short probing game was evident,” Hardwick said.

“The distance of kick, the shortness, was really hard to defend.

“That’s something we’ll look at and we’ll challenge the umpires on, that distance of kick.”
just a shot across the bow by dimma. the umps have more important issues like consistency and getting the holding the ball rule right.the umpiring this year has been atrocious.

just a shot across the bow by dimma. the umps have more important issues like consistency and getting the holding the ball rule right.the umpiring this year has been atrocious.
Manufactured maggott outcomes with the obligatory afl nod to the TV stations and sycophantic approval to/by the afl approved commentators...
AFL matches now are dumb downed netball parades...oh how good is that!...all about chasing the corporate dollar$ and completely tra$hing the game...

Manufactured maggott outcomes with the obligatory afl nod to the TV stations and sycophantic approval to/by the afl approved commentators...
AFL matches now are dumb downed netball parades...oh how good is that!...all about chasing the corporate dollar$ and completely tra$hing the game...
Might as well be called the AdFL with the way the rules are being butchered to accommodate for more air time opportunities. One day soon at every stoppage there'll be a "...and now a word from our sponsor" where play is halted for the umpire to whip out a tube of toothpaste and reel off a few lines about how 4 out of 5 dentists recommend Cholgate before tossing the ball up.

Damien Hardwick calls on the umpires to monitor the distance of Sydney’s kicking
Everyone in footy is in love with Sydney’s new game style. But do the umpires need to monitor one element a lot closer? Damien Hardwick thinks so.

Damien Hardwick says he will challenge umpires to closely monitor Sydney’s short-kicking game style after it picked apart Richmond’s defence.
The three-time premiership coach conceded his backline struggled to combat the Swans’ fast ball movement in the 45-point loss at the MCG, but questioned the distance of some of their passes.

“That’s something we’ll look at and we’ll challenge the umpires on, that distance of kick.”
Didn’t get the chance to go or watch the Sydney game, but I think it’s been a bit of an issue all year. Umpires have been way too lenient on really short kicks through a lot of games this year.

Didn’t get the chance to go or watch the Sydney game, but I think it’s been a bit of an issue all year. Umpires have been way too lenient on really short kicks through a lot of games this year.
Half their kicks only went 10m. You can see it pretty obviously up in the stands because of the cut grass markings.

I feel another rule change coming......

Who wants to watch a game of people kicking the ball 10-15meters to each other ? boring as crap. Think the whole new "return to free flowing footy" hype is bloody bollocks - i dont think ive really enjoyed watching the footy much at all. Feels like ive been watching glorified Ansett cup games - all flow, no pressure, no defence or accountability.

Change the distance of kick to 2o or even 25 meters- if they really want to see "running footy", halving the amount of open space marks will do that - should also increase contested mark situations by 2 fold

Been saying this for freaking years.
Marks constanting being paid when the ball travels no more than 10 metres.
If the umpire is in any doubt, call play on.
Better still (and I can't believe I am saying changes the rules) change it so the minimum distance is at least 20 metres.

agree with that -the benefit of the doubt on those types should always be "play on"

I noticed the umpires pulling up a lot more not quite 15m kicks later in the Easter round, several were 'harsh' compared to the judgements of recent years, so clearly the message went out.

If history is any guide, they'll probably go overboard the other way, which won't be a bad thing.

I feel another rule change coming......

Who wants to watch a game of people kicking the ball 10-15meters to each other ? boring as crap. Think the whole new "return to free flowing footy" hype is bloody bollocks - i dont think ive really enjoyed watching the footy much at all. Feels like ive been watching glorified Ansett cup games - all flow, no pressure, no defence or accountability.

Change the distance of kick to 2o or even 25 meters- if they really want to see "running footy", halving the amount of open space marks will do that - should also increase contested mark situations by 2 fold
Hmm, minimum twenty metres might not be a terrible idea, stops too much chipping and requires a bit more skill. That's two mowed zones yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back