Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Denver, MVFC
deboy and ogorman aren't in on it, they hate us because they are nerd virgins and our team is full of studs like **** mcgee and dusty. all the rest of the umps and rulemakers are in on the conspiracy to stop richmond winning the flag tho

Haha, love the theory, the incels are fighting back.

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Haha, love the theory, the incels are fighting back.
1618209070873.png

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Steele and Crouch must be targeted.
Steele is an offensive side, forward running, mid, Crouch a defensive side mid.
King must be stopped too, scored five goals.
They improved vastly from the Essendon game, which is the way to play them

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Weird coaches votes this week with both 5 vote getters not getting another vote from the opposing coach. Lambert and Boak the only two to get votes from both coaches.

5 Wines Gray

4 Boak Lambert

3 Lambert Boak

2 Amon Aliir

1 Bolton Nankervis

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Interesting SEN report.
Shai Bolton, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards, Kamdyn McIntosh, Jason Castagna, Daniel Rioli, David Astbury and Bachar Houli all out of contract at year's end.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Nothing personal in singling you out, fargo, as lots of people are saying this (you're just the most recent), but which tall forward (or defender, or Nank) do people want dropped for him to come in?

The Saints completely outran the Eagles yesterday in the 2nd half and toweled up the same midfield that completely took Port apart the game before courtesy of Naitanui's ruck work.

If we don't drop a tall for CCJ to come in, we go in a runner (arguably two) short against a side who just absolutely smashed the Eagles in clearances - despite Naitanui dominating - on their home deck, a ground which is always dangerous for us.

To me, the only way you can afford to play two rucks and therefore 3-talls at both ends is if you're confident you have the midfield firepower and full ground run to dominate the other side. I think it's impossible to argue we're in that situation against the Saints.

It all revolves around Astbury really IMO...

Him in the ruck clearly doesn't work.

So either he takes a key forward, and Grimes goes back to locking down a small.

Or Astbury goes out. Given Saints lack of a lumbering big man, he might just miss.

Balta - King
Grimes - Membery
Broad - Battle

Something like this?

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC

Or Astbury goes out. Given Saints lack of a lumbering big man, he might just miss.

Balta - King
Grimes - Membery
Broad - Battle

Something like this?
Or maybe Balta could play as the second ruck with Astbury back to the key defensive post.

We always look better with Balta as our second ruck anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
******* Roast

• Damien Hardwick and selection committee. Pick two mids in Ross and Martyn only to play them anywhere but where they're suited too.
  • Toby Nankervis. Horribly skilled footballer and soft.
  • Selfish football, long bombing into our forward 50 when targets are open.
Martyn barely had 50% game time as well. I know he had a few clangers but i would give him another game and give him a decent go at it.

I have to ask why did we pick another small HBF in Mansell anyway. Wasn't Houli coming in along with Short Baker and Broad enough.

Would like to see Hugo, McIntosh and Colman-Jones come into the team this week. I have given up on them ever giving Collier Dawkins a game.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't stand some of the flogs that play for Port.

Bolton our best, please sign up ASAP.
Need to smash Saints next week.

I think Hamish Hartlett is the most unlikeable player in the league. I thank fk that he didn’t come to us a few years ago when we showed interest . Carries on a lot , does SFA .

Tigers will steady the ship , win the next 5 or six . Normal service to resume .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Or maybe Balta could play as the second ruck with Astbury back to the key defensive post.

We always look better with Balta as our second ruck anyway.
I disagree, it's not that he bad in there Balta, it's just that he's so much better down back.
But when he has to share the load in the ruck, his defensive games drops away too....

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
I disagree, it's not that he bad in there Balta, it's just that he's so much better down back.
But when he has to share the load in the ruck, his defensive games drops away too....
Then I would rather a genuine second ruck plays. I prefer to have Astbury and Balta in the backline. Balta just has the ability to be more damaging in the ruck than Dave, I believe. That's why I prefer him as the second ruck.

That's assuming CCJ or Chol don't get brought in to help Nank.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond

Balta - King
Grimes - Membery
Broad - Battle

Something like this?

Yeah, Astbury's probably our worst pinch-hitter option so far, even behind Lynch. Balta's definitely got him covered easily, but he's also (as you've listed above) the ideal main match-up for King, who will probably do Astbury for pace and Grimes for reach at times.

I wouldn't mind us going in without Astbury and playing Marbs as a roaming wingman who starts forward then covers between the arcs, playing maybe 25% time in the ruck. He's got pace and a beautiful left foot to go with his height so (in theory at least) I'd love to see him roaming more and creating mismatch headaches. The big question aside from his marking strength is his stamina to do that for four quarters. I was hoping he put in another huge pre-season and impressed the coaches with that, but it seems that hasn't happened.

I wouldn't be against Balta playing a similar role and us backing Astbury/Grimes/Broad to get the job done down back, hoping Balta creates enough up the ground to offset him being out of defense.

I don't think enough teams are trying using their mobile talls in that 'Richo on the wing' kind of role, it creates enormous headaches for the sides who can't find the right match-up to combat it. Having a tall that is marking everything, playing on immediately then banging the ball in long is pure gold, it's a 100-120m transition in the blink of an eye and gives you one-on-one's in the F50.

Chol and Balta are two we have capable of pulling that off (Chol more outrunning his opponent than outmarking them), I'd love to see us prioritise getting it happening at least against the sides who are vulnerable to it. Saints are better equipped to deal with it than most, but with Marshall and Ryder out, they're vulnerable too, IMO.

I think Hamish Hartlett is the most unlikeable player in the league. I thank fk that he didn’t come to us a few years ago when we showed interest . Carries on a lot , does SFA .

Tigers will steady the ship , win the next 5 or six . Normal service to resume .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, just a ******* big mouth.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Interesting SEN report.
Shai Bolton, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards, Kamdyn McIntosh, Jason Castagna, Daniel Rioli, David Astbury and Bachar Houli all out of contract at year's end.

just my view on their value

Shai Bolton - Most Important signing 4 x $600k
Jack Riewoldt - Jack will sign for less 1 x $400k
Shane Edwards - Sheds will sign 2 x $400k
Kamdyn McIntosh - Hard to judge free agent and might have a good offer but 3 x $350k
Jason Castagna - 2 x $350k
Daniel Rioli - 3 x $350k
David Astbury - 2 x 350k
Bachar Houli - 1 x $350k

Feb 26, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Balta - King
Grimes - Membery
Broad - Battle

Something like this?
battle plays defence this year, at least watching the game vs west coast he did, carlisle started fwd but iirc moved back during the game (probably because west coast have 3 dangerous talls), he was the backup ruckman who ended up being in the ruck for quite a while with rowan getting hurt.

just checked battles first 2 games, kicked 1 goal in each so maybe he played fwd to begin with, but definitely played in defence vs west coast, honestly seemed pretty good down there, maybe they've found a position that better suits him.

also looking at battles telstra tracker, it looks like they swung him back in to defence in the 4th quarter in their absolute drubbing at the hands of essendon, where he did more there than he did for the first 3 quarters combined.

Last edited:

matt_y106

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2008
Vermont
AFL Club
Richmond
just my view on their value

Shai Bolton - Most Important signing 4 x $600k
Jack Riewoldt - Jack will sign for less 1 x $400k
Shane Edwards - Sheds will sign 2 x $400k
Kamdyn McIntosh - Hard to judge free agent and might have a good offer but 3 x $350k
Jason Castagna - 2 x $350k
Daniel Rioli - 3 x $350k
David Astbury - 2 x 350k
Bachar Houli - 1 x $350k

Definitely would only give Astbury 1 year deals from now. With his injury history, his body could just shutdown at any moment.
Rioli also just 2 years. Because if his form the last couple years is anything to go by, he may decline where is not even a VFL standard footballer by then.
Agree with all of the above though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Yeah, Astbury's probably our worst pinch-hitter option so far, even behind Lynch. Balta's definitely got him covered easily, but he's also (as you've listed above) the ideal main match-up for King, who will probably do Astbury for pace and Grimes for reach at times.

I wouldn't mind us going in without Astbury and playing Marbs as a roaming wingman who starts forward then covers between the arcs, playing maybe 25% time in the ruck. He's got pace and a beautiful left foot to go with his height so (in theory at least) I'd love to see him roaming more and creating mismatch headaches. The big question aside from his marking strength is his stamina to do that for four quarters. I was hoping he put in another huge pre-season and impressed the coaches with that, but it seems that hasn't happened.

I wouldn't be against Balta playing a similar role and us backing Astbury/Grimes/Broad to get the job done down back, hoping Balta creates enough up the ground to offset him being out of defense.

I don't think enough teams are trying using their mobile talls in that 'Richo on the wing' kind of role, it creates enormous headaches for the sides who can't find the right match-up to combat it. Having a tall that is marking everything, playing on immediately then banging the ball in long is pure gold, it's a 100-120m transition in the blink of an eye and gives you one-on-one's in the F50.

Chol and Balta are two we have capable of pulling that off (Chol more outrunning his opponent than outmarking them), I'd love to see us prioritise getting it happening at least against the sides who are vulnerable to it. Saints are better equipped to deal with it than most, but with Marshall and Ryder out, they're vulnerable too, IMO.
Nick Cox from Essondon had a blinder. Superfast, lightweight. Chol in that role sounds a good idea atttributes-wise. I just don't know if he has the game awareness to get to the right spots. Riewoldt maybe? Pushing up the ground more. Not fast but a better mark.
CJ up fwd & ruck? So, drop Aarts. Martyn & Mansell should get a second game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back