RDFL 2016 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Keston, give it a spell, not once have I been negative on here as I have no reason to be, and in particular towards yourself. I for one admire you putting yourself out there week in week out. Go back through my posts to confirm my above statement.

My comment was purely based on the fact you continue to contribute to this forum and since Skip replied to your post earlier this week and in my opinion and mine only it appeared it was done in pure frustrations you have not been posting on this forum.

I have never and will never question you or what you have done at any local club nor anyone else that continues to put up their hand to assist local clubs in our great league, clubs at local level need all the help they can get, it's a tuff journey that we are all on,

Onwards and upwards.

Great week coming up with some clutch games,
Sorry mate didn't read it your way I apologise as for skips comment I have no issues with any person at broadford but as I always have and will say it as it is
Shits me sugar coating facts!!!!!
Agree time to move ahead a ripper last round that will determine some interesting games in week one of the finals

I know we aren't supposed to umpire bash and all that stuff but the umpiring standard in the 1's and 2's isn't great. Let's be honest! Only my opinion and I will fall short of saying they cheat, but please don't tell me they don't influence games (1's and 2's, especially an umpire from the 2's today who somehow has umpired 1's grand finals before, got no idea how, and hopefully will never again for the good of the league) but somehow we need to lift the standard and get rid of those people.
I was at lancefield today and have to agree no fault of the umpires there just not up to it and the game was virtually umpired by one umpire who had to override several decisions made or not made by the other ump as I said feel sorry for these guys there doing there best armed with minimal training and skill ..... It didn't effect the result but was very confusing .....

Ash manning surely has to be in calculations for coach of the year now alongside helmers.
Who knows broadford come from no where to make the finals and win two skip wasn't given coach of the year ?????
Helmers loss three games or so over 2 years or and won 2 flags still not coach of the year .....

Big repercussions for Sunbury - looks like their round 1 debacle with the admin & lodging their team is going to cost them finals.
With Wallan playing rockbank & Sunbury playing diggers the Roos are going to need a minor miracle to pull of a finals berth.
With afl goldfields not punishing chfl clubs you would think that the hierarchy at kangaland will be scratching their heads and wondering what happened to them.

Or is the appeal still pending?? This is huge & no one has touched on it. Could have been 4pts and % clear with 1 to play.

I know we aren't supposed to umpire bash and all that stuff but the umpiring standard in the 1's and 2's isn't great. Let's be honest! Only my opinion and I will fall short of saying they cheat, but please don't tell me they don't influence games (1's and 2's, especially an umpire from the 2's today who somehow has umpired 1's grand finals before, got no idea how, and hopefully will never again for the good of the league) but somehow we need to lift the standard and get rid of those people.

Agreed. Let's get rid of all the incompetent umpires. Why not get rid of any umpire that has made one bad decision whilst we are at it. What a dumb comment. Whilst I agree that the talent pool is thin in the 2's, "getting rid" of umpires will not work. Who then makes up the numbers? Club umpires? Then the word "cheating" can be used. Who is going to tell an umpire that they are no longer welcome to umpire based on their skill level? Has that ever happened at a footy club? Looks like somebody may have tipped a few in last night.

Agreed. Let's get rid of all the incompetent umpires. Why not get rid of any umpire that has made one bad decision whilst we are at it. What a dumb comment. Whilst I agree that the talent pool is thin in the 2's, "getting rid" of umpires will not work. Who then makes up the numbers? Club umpires? Then the word "cheating" can be used. Who is going to tell an umpire that they are no longer welcome to umpire based on their skill level? Has that ever happened at a footy club? Looks like somebody may have tipped a few in last night.
There is no answer as like club players and coaches who make mistakes every game they are not paid as full timers so it's not a professional league there fore getting professional umpires like the afl will not ever happen so agree move on ....
But the more we are all educated including the umps and we back off and give and take positive criticism then the standard may improve ...

YAWN
Another week down and another weeke of umpire bashing.
I take it right across the board not one player made a single mistake which resulted in a goal to the opposition ?
Give it a rest, yes they will make some questionable decisions at times , but with out them theres no game.
There is no way they could influence any game over the ammount of time they are out there.
Im sure somebody on here could tell you where and when the umpires train and you could head along ?

YAWN
I take it right across the board not one player made a single mistake which resulted in a goal to the opposition ?
Give it a rest, yes they will make some questionable decisions at times , but with out them theres no game.
There is no way they could influence any game over the ammount of time they are out there.
Im sure somebody on here could tell you where and when the umpires train and you could head along ?
First let me say imo umpires do
influence games, they are humans, they make mistakes, miss things, get caught on the wrong side of the play etc. This happens at all levels. Players make the same types of mistakes.
Players mistakes influence out comes of games more than umpires mistakes. To suggest umpires do it deliberately is as ridiculous as to suggest players do it deliberately.

Many of the umpires doing 2,s and u18 games don't really want to do it. They are coerced into by the league, without them we would have to have club umpires and that is often a disaster. The league can only work with what they have got. We all need to think about our treatment of umpires if we treat them like crap why would anyone want to take up the job? If we treat them with respect them hopefully we can get more kids, retired players to take up the job. With greater involvement we should get a lift in the standard.

Please think about it before you talk to an umpire in a manner that you would hate some to talk your son/father in.

First let me say imo umpires do
influence games, they are humans, they make mistakes, miss things, get caught on the wrong side of the play etc. This happens at all levels. Players make the same types of mistakes.
Players mistakes influence out comes of games more than umpires mistakes. To suggest umpires do it deliberately is as ridiculous as to suggest players do it deliberately.

Many of the umpires doing 2,s and u18 games don't really want to do it. They are coerced into by the league, without them we would have to have club umpires and that is often a disaster. The league can only work with what they have got. We all need to think about our treatment of umpires if we treat them like crap why would anyone want to take up the job? If we treat them with respect them hopefully we can get more kids, retired players to take up the job. With greater involvement we should get a lift in the standard.

Please think about it before you talk to an umpire in a manner that you would hate some to talk your son/father in.
I would think all umpires who do 2s and Reserves football do it because of wanting to stay fit and be involved in footy..
You'll have ex-players, some working on development, working towards pushing towards doing Seniors..
Our goal umpires are enjoying great success with the development fast tracked quickly.. we're seeing more first year goal umpires knock on the door of Senior selection in their first year than ever before.. boundaries are working hard and like with football coaching, we're seeing more umpires getting observed at all grades, and some coaching actually happening in games where experienced field umpires will run with rookies...
In a dream world.. our association needs 51 field umpires each week.. three in all 17 games.. we're not getting that and getting many doubling up through lack of numbers, injuries etc.. if you have three field umpires in each game.. better opportunity to see more ..

Watched our 17s win the Premiership yesterday and it must have made the club feel pretty excited about the years ahead.

Corey Grindlay was outstanding and voted BOG, but the backline was rock solid and the key to the win.

Of course players influence the game more, doesn't mean the umpires don't influence results. The umpiring in this league is so bad it's not funny. Some don't actually know the rules. The game I was at on the weekend was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen in any level.

Of course players influence the game more, doesn't mean the umpires don't influence results. The umpiring in this league is so bad it's not funny. Some don't actually know the rules. The game I was at on the weekend was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen in any level.
It's funny was at a Ballarat footy game on weekend Sunday and I thought the umpires did well but if you video both coaches boxes and the side that lost you would have thought the opposite every little thing was scrutinised except for how the players performed what a s**t job umpiring must be damn if you do and damned if you don't perhaps we should all give it a go before judging I have and the abuse you cop is amazing as I've said I think clubs need to be educated as the more negative we get the less likely hood of getting improvement as no one will won't to do it .........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love the clubs decision not to renew Glen Hopkins as coach! It's been a hard long year! 2017 can't come quick enough. Let's hope we can employ someone who can improve our list and culture! Obviously improving the club is important but this club needs to improve for Melton footy and the league itself.

love the clubs decision not to renew Glen Hopkins as coach! It's been a hard long year! 2017 can't come quick enough. Let's hope we can employ someone who can improve our list and culture! Obviously improving the club is important but this club needs to improve for Melton footy and the league itself.

Has that decision been made now? I would suspect it would have been a mutual decision however who cares, Fitzy had a dip I am sure would have left some positive influencers on the playing group and club. I heard recently if this decision was made a couple of recent RDFL premiership coaches from the area would be spoken to interesting to see what there take would be if approached.

Has that decision been made now? I would suspect it would have been a mutual decision however who cares, Fitzy had a dip I am sure would have left some positive influencers on the playing group and club. I heard recently if this decision was made a couple of recent RDFL premiership coaches from the area would be spoken to interesting to see what there take would be if approached.
Can tell you one thing from experience agree he would have had a dip but it takes more than a coach to turn a club around a lot more

YAWN
As I have been a bit critical of the umpiring my highlight of the weekend was to have a real conversation with agaol umpire and field umpire.Firstly I would like to congratulate John Bretag on 300 games of goal umpiring and he was lucky enough to have his son Michael as field umpire.It was good to be able to have a chat with them both with the feeling of no barriers between us.I learnt a lot from both field and goal umpires perspective that I would never have thought of and both there honesty was fantastic.So if we bagged a player like we did umpiring we would cop a smack in the nose or he would leave.So the more constructive we can be with positive criticism to that player the better he will come with practice.So this is the attitude I will have with umpires from here on in and hopefully they can all keep improving in the same way.

Every time I look on the news section of the RDFNL website it's all about the Western clubs
Rupo
Diggers
Macedon
Romsey
Woodend
Lancefield
Sunbury
Rockbank etc
Surely there must be some news from the 2 Eastern clubs to write about.
Obviously NOT

Every time I look on the news section of the RDFNL website it's all about the Western clubs
Rupo
Diggers
Macedon
Romsey
Woodend
Lancefield
Sunbury
Rockbank etc
Surely there must be some news from the 2 Eastern clubs to write about.
Obviously NOT
Wow wee
That was quick

Believe a few weeks ago Romsey coach Bubb was contacted about his plans for next season. Hearing his preference is to stay at Romsey but not to sure where it's at.

Well this forums bout as lively as Carl Williams.
Big weekend of games with plenty hanging in the balance in regards to ladder positions and finals hopes.
Melton V Broadford playing for the Rex Hickman cup.Broady on a roll and look out finals.
Diggers v Sunba Fierce rivals would expect Diggers to do enough but a loss I dont think would hurt.Sunba need a win to be a final 6 chance.
Hesket v Macedon traditional neighbouring rivals would think Cats easy but Hawks at home in wet a sneaky chance Cats wont be going flat out I suspect.
Wallan v Rams Pies need a huge win to get % or a win and results to fall their way else a dissapointing result for the Pies if to miss finals.
Lancefield v Romsey Fierce long standing rivals HUGE game I only hope Redbacks can get up and surely they a chance in expected poor ground conditions.I do hope score is live updated on website as im sure many others do.

Rupo v Riddell another big game with ladder positions on the line and I reckon a toss of the coin game.

May the best teams win and hope to not read the Umpire word again on this forum as surely theres better things to focus on.

Believe a few weeks ago Romsey coach Bubb was contacted about his plans for next season. Hearing his preference is to stay at Romsey but not to sure where it's at.
Is he a chance to go to Melton??? Why has he not been signed already? Could you give some insight as to what kind of coach he is? How would he go at Melton? How would he improve them? How do you think he has gone at Romsey this year??

Wallan v Rams Pies need a huge win to get % or a win and results to fall their way else a dissapointing result for the Pies if to miss finals.
Lancefield v Romsey Fierce long standing rivals HUGE game I only hope Redbacks can get up and surely they a chance in expected poor ground conditions.I do hope score is live updated on website as im sure many others do.

Pretty sure Wallan will have someone at Lancefield keeping tabs on the score. Either way they've just got to go out and attack, attack, attack. Won't be easy scoring given the rain, but they have no choice and they've got to show a killer instinct which has been missing this year in games they should've won.

Pretty sure Wallan will have someone at Lancefield keeping tabs on the score. Either way they've just got to go out and attack, attack, attack. Won't be easy scoring given the rain, but they have no choice and they've got to show a killer instinct which has been missing this year in games they should've won.
Wallan need to win by about 275 if lancefield win but reckon the speed and youth of romsey will beat the hard working tigers wally saad could be the difference ...
Also riddle have primed them selfs for this week leaving a few big names out last week will be a ripper game but reckon ruppo will get home beat riddle earlier comfortably will be interesting day

Can't believe they haven't put pen to paper he has done a great job considering the mess he had to deal with on and off the field .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back