RDFL 2017 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wont get an argument here, sadly the ex AFL lad mentioned above set the club financially only to see it dwindled in 2-3 years when I should of set them up for a bit longer than that. Had this exact chat with a passionate Bford follower at work today, when you watch a bloke play and "assume" what he might be getting ..... and then you drive home thinking "did he play to a standard worthy of that amount" far too often these days you answer yourself sadly with a NO.

Clubs have created this silly environment and as you say some will fall by the wayside of it, some through their own doing, some by trying to keep up with the Jones' so to say when they know damn well they can't sustain a cash flow that at the end of the day isn't even theirs to be throwing around carelessly.

2nd year watching wallan. The shape that a handful of senior players arrived in yesterday was disgraceful. The word DIET comes to mind. If you are playing senior footy for money, you have an end of the bargain to uphold. For mine, some are taking the piss... with more than a few reserves and 18s putting their hands up in the early games. The coach needs to get out of the goal square and into the coaches box and pick players on form and effort, not name or his closest buddies. 2 weeks to reset but if there aren't 4-5 changes for round 2 it's going to be a long year for Nolan. The pressure is on.

Bit harsh given pre-season form. May have got ahead of themselves a bit though.

Midfield were just a bit lazy and didn't get back and help the defenders. 30 must be just about in his last chance as he just can't run with speedy forwards. Not sure why they don't leave Stewart to do the kick ins. Kicks longer than Cox and Thomas, and far more accurately and only turns it over when players don't get to front position.

Thought Rexhapi was very good. Davies impressed, but got caught with the ball just a bit too much.

What they really missed was O'Sullivan's attack on the ball.

That's my 2cents on Wallan. Macedon were fantastic to watch. Obviously a well drilled side and a genuine threat for the title.

Woodend improved on last year.
Arnold at CHB very good.
Ambler and Gawthorp good in attack.
Hepburn played well early.

Lancefield 4 goals down at 3/4 got in front late but Woodend steadied in a thriller.

Wooster, Barr and Jackson very good for lancefield
Kent 6 goals.
Injuries to two of lancefields ruckman hopefully not to serious.

Cam Arnold is a very good player. Hard st the contest and can move. Kept quite some good EDFL backman last season but got injured at a bad time.

C
Bit harsh given pre-season form. May have got ahead of themselves a bit though.

Midfield were just a bit lazy and didn't get back and help the defenders. 30 must be just about in his last chance as he just can't run with speedy forwards. Not sure why they don't leave Stewart to do the kick ins. Kicks longer than Cox and Thomas, and far more accurately and only turns it over when players don't get to front position.

Thought Rexhapi was very good. Davies impressed, but got caught with the ball just a bit too much.

What they really missed was O'Sullivan's attack on the ball.

That's my 2cents on Wallan. Macedon were fantastic to watch. Obviously a well drilled side and a genuine threat for the title.
annot recall

Thursday night footy this week may be worth sticking the nose down for a gander .
Easter Monday swap meet at broadford folks if any one interested .
Stab at this weeks results ...
Romsey
Diggers
Lanny
Riddell
Ruppo
Sunbury

Thursday night footy this week may be worth sticking the nose down for a gander .
Easter Monday swap meet at broadford folks if any one interested .
Stab at this weeks results ...
Romsey
Diggers
Lanny
Riddell
Ruppo
Sunbury
Agree except Macedon will win at home. Only picking riddell due to home ground wallan much better than they showed last week.

Got to hear some pretty sad news today with the passing of Brent "Barney" Fitzgerald. Brent had only been at the club a year, but was widely liked and a terrific bloke who passed on his experience to the younger players at the club.

RIP, Barn.

Corey Enright what a class act ! 3 time premiership player 6 times All Australian 2 times Geelong Best and fairest played for Barwon Heads on Saturday for free . Great to see one of the all time greats give back to local football .
Agree captain class act Corey Enright perhaps a few other ex AFL players could take a leaf out of his book ......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Romsey are looking good, they have some very very classy kids.
With a little bit more fitness into a few seniors, they will hold there own against most sides. They could have nearly been 2 zip if not for injuries early against the kangaroos.
Watched them at Sunbury good bunch of kids that will be competitive but may find there depth tested along with once the season gets on will find it tuff don't have them in top six but if they stick fat success will come in a few years .

Just reading on a country thread that Ardmona in the KDFL are from this weekend rolling out a reserves side after RDFL identity James House and a few mates lobbed out at Rushworth who then handed the Bush Cats a 54 goal to 0.1 Rd.1 touch up (just joking Housey)

Brings me back to a couple of years ago when Kilmore enquired about such a thing, or perhaps a 3rd XVII and one open age side, evidently the unfavourable outcome got the wheels in motion for them to move on ... which I must add is perfectly fine as the RDFL Board/Goldfields know what it wants to stand for and be seen as.

The reason I post is after noticing two more senior players from Broadford applying to go to the Central Murray FL so I ask, would club's be open to something like this in the future it meant the difference of a club tipping over or having one last throw at the stumps to survive?

I know Kyneton did it for a year not that long ago, and I assume the major league clubs used it for what it was which ensured Kyneton a future which is a great as a neutral local footy follower - would our RDFL fraternity be of the same mindset if the topic bobbed up ever again?

Just reading on a country thread that Ardmona in the KDFL are from this weekend rolling out a reserves side after RDFL identity James House and a few mates lobbed out at Rushworth who then handed the Bush Cats a 54 goal to 0.1 Rd.1 touch up (just joking Housey)

Brings me back to a couple of years ago when Kilmore enquired about such a thing, or perhaps a 3rd XVII and one open age side, evidently the unfavourable outcome got the wheels in motion for them to move on ... which I must add is perfectly fine as the RDFL Board/Goldfields know what it wants to stand for and be seen as.

The reason I post is after noticing two more senior players from Broadford applying to go to the Central Murray FL so I ask, would club's be open to something like this in the future it meant the difference of a club tipping over or having one last throw at the stumps to survive?

I know Kyneton did it for a year not that long ago, and I assume the major league clubs used it for what it was which ensured Kyneton a future which is a great as a neutral local footy follower - would our RDFL fraternity be of the same mindset if the topic bobbed up ever again?

You would hope the goldfields are looking at an alternative to the 2 senior teams under 18 format. With Saturday work reserves football teams are going to become harder and harder to fill over the next 5-10 years. Especially in smaller towns.

You would hope the goldfields are looking at an alternative to the 2 senior teams under 18 format. With Saturday work reserves football teams are going to become harder and harder to fill over the next 5-10 years. Especially in smaller towns.

Yep it's looking that way :(

Who are the 2 players ?

We all have our theories and thoughts on the local footy landscape, but a town of Broadford's size not scraping up a 3rds team is not good.
Kilmore aren't either, the transition of the RDFL 16s team to virtually the same group now playing as 17s in the Northern has cost the club that, but it should all level out again for 2019 and beyond.

Obviously someone with ties to the club HTF, how many local Broadford kids of a 3rds eligible age would have sourced their footy elsewhere this year which has impacted and forced this unfortunate decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back