RDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big call on the playing coaches and whilst I agree in part with the statement, you may have missed one that comes straight to mind- Spotswood FC- Div 1, WRFL 2011 premiers...

Winners Rnd 1 -

Broadford 3. 3. 21. Lost to Sunbury 20. 21. 141.
Kilmore 52. lost to Wallan 66.
Melton 26. 14. 170. Def' Lancefield 4. 5. 29.
Macedon 48. lost to Diggers Rest 85.
Woodend 80. Def' Rockbank 62.
Romsey 9. 15. 69. Lost to Riddell 11. 10. 76.

Winners Rnd 1 -

Broadford 3. 3. 21. Lost to Sunbury 20. 21. 141.
Kilmore 52. lost to Wallan 66.
Melton 26. 14. 170. Def' Lancefield 4. 5. 29.
Macedon 48. lost to Diggers Rest 85.
Woodend 80. Def' Rockbank 62.
Romsey 9. 15. 69. Lost to Riddell 11. 10. 76.

Went to Romsey v Riddell yesterday and got there at half time of the 2nds. All the records SOLD OUT. First game of the year and home games, OVERSUBSCRIBE and make sure you have plenty. As I dont know either team well I was listening to the crowd call names to work it out.
Game was pretty fast pace but as expected skill level was low for first game. Dont know how many times Davidson was on a lead and ball dropped 5 metres short. Would have made the difference for mine but in saying that thought Romsey played dumb footy and kept kicking the ball back to Silvester who grabbed everything. Riddell were more prepared to0 run the ball into the wind and showed up Romsey in that aspect last quarter.
Riddell more polished first `game but will be a ripper next time they meet mid season once all the cobwebs are blown away.
Enjoyed the game and weather wise could not have asked for more.

Good win by the Hawks today over the Bankers, all the best to Purdo, one of our best youngsters, who broke his leg today.

Was a pretty close encounter for most of the day. Well done to Woodend, a little too good in the end. Best of luck to Purdo.

Saw a pretty bizarre umpiring decision in the reserves much. Bizarre, terrible, atrocious, however you want to call it. One of our players received a yellow card and no one knows why. I thought someone must have received a death threat or something, but apparently that definitely wasn't the case. Even the opposition were confused as to why a yellow card was shown. There wasn't a strike or malicious act shown, none of the opposition players retaliated to anything, so none of us could work out why a yellow card was shown. Do umpires hand them out when they feel like it? It would have been a travesty had it cost Rockbank the four points.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this "rule" enforced before but a 50m penalty was paid against the man on the mark for throwing grass at a player having a set shot ...

Is this actually a rule? Or the umpire just losing the plot?

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this "rule" enforced before but a 50m penalty was paid against the man on the mark for throwing grass at a player having a set shot ...

One of our players got a 50m against him for the same thing bout 6 years ago when we were in the diamond valley. We thought there was no such rule back then, but maybe there is.

app it is a rule now happened last week in the afl but the umpire paid advnatage as the goal was kicked.... may have been the richmond/collingwood game

app it is a rule now happened last week in the afl but the umpire paid advnatage as the goal was kicked.... may have been the richmond/collingwood game

Correct, it's a rule, cannot throw things in the air or at the player kicking the ball. It happened to Alex Rance, he threw his mouth guard in the air.

Well we are off and running for the 2012 season and it was kicked off in style at Romsey on Saturday.

These two sides have been talked up all preseason and going on the weekends game, with good reason.
Both sides had players out from their best line up's, Romsey were missing Cam Dawson, Mitch Brewer, Mark Strack, Ben Talbot and Warren Kairns, while Riddell were missing Mick Allen, Ricky Elliot, Nick Ash and Grant Puxley, we also tend to forget, but the Bombers also have Matt Sammut and Levi Moss to come back into the side as they get fit which may be closer than we suspect.

The game started off at a frenetic pace, as many thought it would, surprisingly, Riddell had Brayden Allen and Jarrod Silvester deep in defence manning the Davidson brothers and James Climas at CHB. The Redbacks got out of the blocks early and looked dangerous, particularly Mitch Farmer in the middle who uses the ball exceptionally well. Shannon Green and Brad Mitchell were also getting plenty of it early. There was plenty of pressure out in the middle, both sides turned the football over early as expected. The Redbacks got off to a good start, Leigh McInerney setting up Mathew Davidson and Nathan Davidson looking lively early, but it was Steve Burlak who was causing the most trouble for the Bombers, finding plenty of the ball and kicking a goal, unfortunately for the Redbacks, they lost Ash McNaughton during the quarter with an ankle injury. For the Bombers, Aaron Blade started well before doing a hammy running through the middle of the ground, while recruit Daniel Sahlberg and Cam Casson in the middle found plenty of the ball and had the Bombers on top in the clearances.
Qtr Time - Romsey 4.2.26 led Riddell 2.4.16

The 2nd quarter was a real arm wrestle, it looked like either side could have broken the game open, but there just wasn't that player that was going to do it. The Bombers looked undermanned inside forward 50, but were able to keep themselves in the game, Brian Ruffell was starting to look dangerous and Troy Scoble was finding a bit of the ball in space. The two big recruits for the two sides were a little quiet, Farmer's influence had been quelled while Silvester looked as though he was finding it hard to adjust to the tempo of RDFL football. The Redbacks had more of the ball, but their delivery inside forward 50 wasn't great, kicks were either too short or had far too much on them and most kicks inside 50 were wide to the pockets. The Bombers were more direct and were rewarded with easier goals, while the Redbacks really had to work.
Half Time - Romsey 6.4.40 led Riddell 4.5.29

The 3rd quarter saw the game start to break open for the first time. After a slow start by both teams to the quarter, the Bombers got on top at about the 10 minute mark. Brian Ruffell was able to hit the scoreboard as did Ben Sonogan and Joel Morrison who were starting to involve themselves in the match inside the forward 50. But it was around the stoppages where the Bombers were really getting on top. Peter Robertson was having an influence along with Cam Casson, but it was Daniel Sahlberg who stepped up to another level around the contests, picking up plenty of the ball and using it well. Jarrod Silvester was also starting to stamp himself on the contest, reading the ball well across CHB and repelling the Redbacks moves forward. Leigh McInerney, Shannon Green and Brad Mitchell were working hard for the Redbacks and were keeping them in the contest.
3qtr Time - Romsey 7.9.51 trailed Riddell 10.8.68

The last quarter took us to where we expected this contest to go, hard, pressure football. Both sides were throwing everything at the game. Sahlberg was still influencing the contest as was Troy Scoble who was pushing into space and being a link target on the wing as the Bombers tried to control the tempo of the final term. The arm wrestle continued and at times it looked as though Matt Davidson was about to break the game open. When Farmer goaled from 50 out, the Redbacks trailed by less than a kick and less than 2 minutes later, Farmer marked again inside 50, if he goaled the Redbacks would likely have run away with the game, but he missed and the Bombers were able to run the ball to the opposite end of the ground and hold on for a fantastic win.
Final - Romsey 9.15.69 lost to Riddell 11.10.76

Youngsters
Both sides had some fantastic youngsters to keep an eye on for the rest of the season. Riddell had Jordan Taylor in the back half of the ground who was cool under pressure and not only won the football but hit targets, while Romsey had young Nathan Blair who found plenty of the football and used it well and wasn't overawed by the game.

My Votes
3 - Daniel Sahlberg (Riddell)
2 - Brad Mitchell (Romsey)
1 - Shannon Green (Romsey)

What I learned in Round 1

• The top sides are going to be very tough to beat, there is once again going to be obvious gaps in the ladder, but where will those gaps lie, we might just find out this week.
  • Diggers Rest and Sunbury laid claims to be considered top 4 sides, Diggers have a real test this week against Riddell while Sunbury face Riddell the following week, we will find out how strong those claims are.
  • Melton Centrals have recruited well enough to be considered a finals prospect. Sure, the Tigers are going to have another tough season, but a 25 goal win is a 25 goal win.
  • Kilmore have the list to be a finals side, but they have a history of getting ahead of themselves, did they do it again on the weekend? They need to bounce back, they have the right person leading them, but the players need to let him lead, coaching themselves has led to disappointments in the past, learn from those mistakes and take the next step.
Performance Ladder - Round 1

Melton Centrals
Diggers Rest
Riddell
Sunbury Kangaroos
Wallan
Woodend/Hesket
---------------------
Romsey
Rockbank
Kilmore
Broadford
Macedon
Lancefield

It is a rule, it's classified as encroaching the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpire 22
You semmed to be up with all the rules a question for you. A player is inside 50 having a shot on the run and is felled after kicking a point . Should he not recieve another shot at goal or as on the weekend they paid it down the ground in the goal square and a rsulting goal was awarded. It bemused because we were advanatged with the decision but i think it was wrong ?? Can you explain ??

Umpire 22
You semmed to be up with all the rules a question for you. A player is inside 50 having a shot on the run and is felled after kicking a point . Should he not recieve another shot at goal or as on the weekend they paid it down the ground in the goal square and a rsulting goal was awarded. It bemused because we were advanatged with the decision but i think it was wrong ?? Can you explain ??

I thought this to be a pretty straight forward rule but umpires do pay different things sometimes... (PS. I know I am not Umpire22 either :D)

If the ball went through on the full it should be another kick at the point of incident, but if it bounced or was touched then it is down field to where the ball bounces or is touched as I understand it.

Wonder how the semmo's interpret it?
They will do just do what they have always done...... Just make it up as they go along....:D
This sums them up (i don't know which one it was) A stinking hot day early in the season. I'm running water for the magoos.... I walk past a semmo and offer him a drink, which he greatfully accepted and thanked me.... Then I walk 2 metres to one of our young blokes and give him and his opponent a drink (hey I'm a good bloke:)) I tell the young fella to push up to the contest.... Semmo blows his whistle and gives me a Yellow card! WTF????? I asked what was going on? He said I was coaching on the ground! I still laugh at that.... Any one who knows me knows that i'm not an ump basher.... It's just a funny (one of thousands i'm sure) Semmo story.....

They will do just do what they have always done...... Just make it up as they go along....:D
This sums them up (i don't know which one it was) A stinking hot day early in the season. I'm running water for the magoos.... I walk past a semmo and offer him a drink, which he greatfully accepted and thanked me.... Then I walk 2 metres to one of our young blokes and give him and his opponent a drink (hey I'm a good bloke:)) I tell the young fella to push up to the contest.... Semmo blows his whistle and gives me a Yellow card! WTF????? I asked what was going on? He said I was coaching on the ground! I still laugh at that.... Any one who knows me knows that i'm not an ump basher.... It's just a funny (one of thousands i'm sure) Semmo story.....

In a praccy match a couple of years ago one of the Semmo's paid a free against us for having more than 4 players inside the 50 at a kick in. He did come up to me later and apologise coz he got mixed up with the centre square. :eek:

Harrison Hyuandai Seniors - Round 2

Rockbank (0-1, 9th) Vs Broadford (0-1, 12th)
An important game in Rd 2 for these two sides. The loser here could be in for a very very long season. The Rams were competitive last week in their loss to Woodend/Hesket away from home, the Hawks are always tougher to beat on their home deck, but the Rams had an opportunity to get the win there so they would have been disappointed leaving with a loss. The positive for the Rams is that the names in the goal kicking and best players were names that we haven't seen before, so it wasn't the same names as we are used to seeing. The Roos had a horrible Rd 1 loss to Sunbury. They were demolished from the first bounce and didn't kick a goal until after half time. They were completely outplayed and lost an opportunity to announce themselves on their home turf against strong opposition. It's good to see some of the names returning to the line up, but they will need to be far improved this week.
Key:
With the player turnover for the Rams this year, it is hard to gauge what their style will be. In the past they have been excellent in the contested side of the game but not so good when the game breaks open. They still have the players to be in a game so will need to play to their strength. The Roos strength is the midfield, they need to get on top at the stoppages and allow themselves the chance to break and give the forwards one on one contests. This will definitely be a battle of the midfielders, whoever gets on top will give their side the advantage.
Player to watch:
Rockbank - Michael Kennedy returned to the Rams and straight back in the best, the big man is a key for Rockbank this year, whether playing in the Ruck or a key post.
Broadford - Grant Wearne has long been regarded the best player at the Roos, he had a slow start to the season last year and would want to avoid that this year, especially in a game like this that the Roos are a big chance.
Tip:
Tough game to tip, both of these sides need this early victory, the Rams turnover means it will be tough to pick their style early, while the Roos improved last year, but had a shocker in Round 1, how will they respond. Should be a fantastic contest.
Rockbank by 8 points.

Lancefield (0-1, 11th) Vs Macedon (0-1, 10th)
Both of these sides didn't get off to the greatest of starts in Round 1, both beaten comprehensively. The Tigers were handed a lesson from the bigger bodied Centrals line up, but they are young and especially against bigger opponents are going to find it tough, it's not going to get any easier this week when they have to find match ups for Al Meldrum and Ash Fleming in the Cats forward 50. The Cats met a rejuvenated Diggers Rest in Round 1 and found the going tough at home. Ash Fleming had an impact on the game, but most of the Cats goals came in the final term, when the game had effectively finished. They need to bounce back this week and have an opportunity to do so against a young Tigers side.
Key:
The big ground will hold no fear for the Cats who can use the space to free up the big forwards. They will look to get on top early and put some solid scoreboard pressure on the Tigers so that they can put a big score on the board.
Player to watch:
Lancefield - Phil Shaw is just one of the many youngsters in the Tigers line up, but he has the ability to run and carry and is a beautiful user of the ball, as the weeks go on, hopefully we will get to see him break the lines more often and impact the contest.
Macedon - Darren Goodwin just works his tail off every week for the Cats, he wins both contested football and outside football and pushes back to assist the defenders with coverage.
Tip:
Tough to see the young Tigers making any impact against the Cats. It's going to be a tough day against the bigger Cats forwards.
Macedon by 80 points.

Melton Centrals (1-0, 2nd) Vs Kilmore (0-1, 8th)
The Blues will be getting sick of 8th spot, they seemed to spend a lot of time there last year, unfortunately, if they continue their form of last week, they could be spending more time there. The Blues were simply out worked and outrun by Wallan last week in the 2nd half and will need to lift the work rate against a side that is up and about after last weeks demolition of Lancefield. Centrals have certainly been boosted by the recruits that have joined the club, led by Adam Fenton who bagged 10 goals last week. Steve James in the ruck and Chris Carrassellos in the midfield. Centrals are travelling quite nicely and if these guys stay fit, could be in the mix for a finals position. This is the type of game that is going to be so important to sides like Kilmore and Centrals though, losses in games the ilk of this one, and the game that Kilmore dropped last week, will put the loser in the position of chasing a gap to a finals spot all year, so both sides will need to be desperate for the advantage.
Key:
Centrals have some size about them this year that they have lacked in the past. With James and Fenton coming in, it provides targets. But they will need to be able to have guys to carry the football, Kilmore have a history of struggling to transition from attack to defense, so Centrals will need to get them on the rebound. Kilmore will look to get on top and dominate the stoppages. They do have the players to carry the football but they need a defensive side to their game when the ball is turned over. After last week, 2nd and 3rd efforts are going to be the key.
Player to watch:
Melton Centrals - Has to be Adam Fenton after his bag of 10 goals last week. While many might question his performance after modest returns when playing for Sunbury 2 seasons ago, its off the mark. Fenton as the number 1 target inside forward 50 is a very dangerous proposition.
Kilmore - Damien King could be the wildcard in this contest. Centrals have a big strong ruckman that will be tough to beat in the middle, but King will need to do damage around the ground.
Tip:
Another really tough game to tip early in the season. It's a bit of a 50/50 but the Blues really need to bounce back after last week. A loss this week to Centrals could almost end their finals hopes already.
Kilmore by 10 points.

Wallan (1-0, 5th) Vs Romsey (0-1, 7th)
These two sides have a rivalry dating back a long way which escalated last season in Wallan. But irrelevant of what happened off to the side of the contest and some of the things that happened with people trying to get noticed in the contest, it was an outstanding match. Dave Cornish was on fire that day and the Redbacks snuck over the line. But we are into a new season and a new challenge for both sides. Wallan were brave in their win over Kilmore last week, with the young players standing tall and dominating the 2nd half. Young Ben Schraven and Blake Hooper were named in the best while Rhys Frost booted 2 goals along with Cornish. Rumors are abound that Matt Robertson has decided to stay at Wallan this week will boost the midfield.
The Redbacks had a tough first up match with the Bombers, While they lost the game, the game itself will hold them in good stead moving forward. They unearthed a new recruit in Damien Walker, and it looked as though many of the players needed the run and a high intensity hit out was a perfect way to start. Mitch Farmer had his first hit-out in a Redbacks jumper and was serviceable, while Brad Mitchell and Shannon Green were impressive. The Redbacks will be looking to improve their accuracy in front of the sticks this week though.
Key:
The last time these two sides met, Wallan were able to lock down the Redbacks attacking 50, they pushed numbers back and were excellent through the middle of the ground. The Redbacks will need to open up that space this week and take care not to bomb the ball to the loose player that will sit in the hole in front of Matt Davidson.
Player to watch:
Wallan - Harry Trotman is a tall youngster that can have an impact at RDFL senior level, if he gets into the game he will allow the Wallan midfield first use of the ball.
Romsey - Matt Davidson had a nightmare last time he was at Wallan, he will be looking for a big game this week to atone for that game.
Tip:
If the Magpies can get the Redbacks bombing the ball inside forward 50 again this week they are a chance, but if the Redbacks start spotting up targets this could be taken out of the Magpies hands and quickly.
Romsey by 35 points.

Woodend/Hesket (1-0, 4th) Vs Sunbury Kangaroos (1-0, 1st)
Two sides that both registered great wins last week will be looking to back up that result in Rd 2. Over the past few seasons, these two have developed quite the rivalry, especially at Woodend when the local crowd likes to get involved. Many at Woodend dislike Sunbury more than any other opponent. The Hawks would be very happy with their win in Rd 1 against a determined Rams, most pleasing for new coach Glen Hopkins would have been the contribution up forward of the youngsters. Jake Owen booted 5 for the Hawks and continues to show signs of a big future, while Jesse Sheppard bagged 3. Ben Toman and Owen were named the best two players on the ground in a sign for the Hawks future.
The Kangaroos would be very pleased with their start to the season, a thumping win away from home where they restricted their opponents to no goals in the 1st half and only 3 for the game. New coach Chris Meacham bagged 7 for the Roos while new recruit Kayne Murphy hit the ground running with his new club.
Key:
The Hawks have a young list so will need to avoid getting involved in too many contested situations with a far bigger and stronger Roos outfit. The Hawks will try to expose the Kangaroos in space and give their forwards a chance at one on one contests.
The Roos midfield is just as young as the Hawks, but have that added bonus of finals football experience that will take them forward. With two big targets up forward in Meacham and Cuffe along with Brenton Sutherland, the Roos tall forwards will be tough for the Hawks to contain.
Player to watch:
Woodend/Hesket - Jesse Sheppard is a tough hard working youngster that personifies the Woodend/Hesket style. He gives everything in every contest that he goes to.
Sunbury Kangaroos - Tie Cuffe just keeps improving every week, he reads the ball well around stoppages and has courage that defies his size, can win both inside and outside football and is definitely a Rising Gun.
Tip:
The bigger Roos bodies will make it tough for the Hawks, but as always at home, the Hawks will put up a fight before fading out of the game.
Sunbury Kangaroos by 35 points.

Match of the Round
Riddell (1-0, 6th) Vs Diggers Rest (1-0, 3rd)
These two sides have quite the rivalry in recent times. Prior to last year, that had met each other in 3 of the past 6 Grand Finals, there is no doubt that a strong rivalry exists and with a refreshed list, the Burra will be hoping to get one back on the Bombers.
Last week, despite lacking several key players, the Bombers were able to get the win at Romsey Park over the Redbacks, setting up a launching pad for the season ahead. Whilst they looked undermanned up forward without Mick Allen and Ricky Elliot, the Bombers were able to find enough avenue's to goal. Brian Ruffell and Ben Sonogan each kicked 3 goals for the Bombers and much will depend on them again, although Joel Morrison looked lively up there as well. The Bombers had several youngsters in the lineup that performed very well under pressure, the best of those being Jordan Taylor. But the Bombers will be keen to see some more experience come back into the lineup after losing Aaron Blade with what looked like a serious hamstring injury.
The Burra kicked off the year with a bang, reports from the game suggested that they were the real deal this year and are going to be a very tough opponent. Steve Ruane enjoyed his return to the game with 4 goals while Joe Piccolo seems to be a solid goal sneak, Brent Tuckey turned in a solid performance out at CHF, while the big man Craig Thompson put in a BOG performance.
Key:
The Bombers had a tough game first up, but the hit-out can only do them good, they still have several players to come back in, the Bombers were dominant around the stoppages last week, in particular Daniel Sahlberg. The midfield battle will again be the key to this match this week. Both sides have an excellent midfield, so whoever gets on top should get the advantage in the game.
Player to watch:
Riddell - Daniel Sahlberg was the dominant player on the ground last week, but will go under the radar for the type of ball he wins, if he is allowed to roam free this week he will cause plenty of damage to the Burra.
Diggers Rest - Steve Ruane is a former Bowen Medalist, after having last season off he returned with a bang against the Cats, booting 4 goals in the Burra win.
Tip:
Riddell backs up with another contest against a top 4 rival and will be keen to back up with another win. The Burra will be keen to make a statement to the rest of the competition nice and early by sending the Bombers on their way.
Riddell by 1 point.

Good luck to everyone on Saturday!!! :thumbsu:

Re: Harrison Hyuandai Seniors - Round 2

I see Ryan Wooley has been cleared to Romsey, Good player but can be a little selfish when in 100 metres of goals. If he is fit will be a very hard to player to match up.

OMNI"S Tips Round 2.

Rockbank at home to be way too good for Broadford by 52 pts. & I do like the Rams outfit in 2012 with Kennedy running around in the ruck.

Lancefield to be in for another a very tough day at the office here against the Cats. Macedon to do em no favors & should easily get a much needed confidence boosting win by 69 pts.

Melton's score line last week was very flattering, perhaps they have indeed improved this season ??? Whereas Kilmore's performance at home was at best disappointing ! I expect Wheel's boys to again get the job done, to the tune of 42 pts.

Wallan will come crashing back to earth with a thud today at home against a Redback side on the rebound & hungry for a win. Romsey were pretty good last week, & some observers dont know how they got beaten. Davo' to kick 10+ & Romsey to prevail by 66 pts.

Woodend will find Sunbury a much tougher assignment this week than last against the Rams, Meach' is leading from the front & you just gotta love that ! Roos to get the money by 32 pts.

Must start off by apoligising to Diggers Rest for not including them in my serious contenders list for 2012. Because I have been informed by one of the faceless power brokers up at the Cattery that the boys from the Burra are in fact the "Real Deal" this season & will take a power of beating ! Well I guess today we will find out sooner rather than later, or that the Cats are just Crap in 2012 ??? Bombers to get much better as season goes on, & to win this one at home by 22 pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back