RDFNL 2018 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't though, Sunbury have notoriously struggled for numbers in their Reserves and in recent years in the top ages of juniors, despite a strong junior program. The Lions recruit well for their senior side, but generally lose players who are not going to be regular senior players to clubs playing in the local competitions.
Alot of clubs struggle with upper age juniors. Kangaroos didn't have a 17s team this year. There are so many competing forces for kids of that age. School, part time work (which demands availability both days of the weekend these days), other sports....

Bang and there we have it the blame game. Dave do you really think AFL Vic were ever going to let the RDFNL be stand alone after its governance issues???
Was a vote by the clubs that made the decision not any one else !
Lot on here if you read back asking questions of the Goldfields.
It is what it is and cant be changed so yes just move on

Going back a bit now Halffull, and I'm assuming some (not all) of our more vocal on here aren't fully aware of that bit of the puzzle and how it even came about that the administrative side of the RDFL "HAD" to be outsourced even before the Hub thing came into vogue.

What took place back in roughly 2008-09 could've been dealt with swiftly had challengers to Board Positions been sourced and implemented.
The ball got dropped massively, aparently some things went missing - and had it been brought light I'm of the belief those in positions of power would've been "struck" off.
This would have then meant not being allowed to perform or fill certain positions on any board for a lengthy period of time.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong to the above few sentences)

Rightly or wrongly, that was the line in the sand moment missed and to this day still can't believe it was simply ignored ... look at the NFL now, they themselves had history of some misdoings, it got dealt with and have moved on and seem to be trying to build their league.

As IMS says, HUBS are the go now, and they will work if the relationships are open and transparent. Let's not forget the Hubs are handed down their charters from a higher authority which is something I've only just realised after admittedly being a real Goldfields "basher". That's not saying we all cant get better, and the RDFL be better for it - but there are cicrumstances even out of Goldfields control and/or jurisdiction at times.

Maybe we need guys like IMS, Halffull, PeteO, - passionate RDFL servants voted into positions of guidance and confidence who are current and hail from the Front Line. Could the the breath of fresh air your local footy landscape could thrive under.
100% well said Doona

I think Clubs need to look after themselves and noone knows a club like the volunteers involved in them. I struggle to get a grip though on why clubs will play football outside their immediate region when community footy should be based around playing in and around your surrounding community. The kangas atleast will have Rolling Meadows as a competing club, but I have sure enjoyed seeing the rupo kangas rivalry over the years. Rupo now has no immediate team competing in sunbury in the Riddell league, has Diggers down the road but they have become the point of difference with the Lions now in the immediate community. Interesting to see how that plays out. I would rather see all the sunbury clubs get stronger and compete with each other, I think that would add real spice and rivalry as opposed to them going off in their separate ways. I wonder if the RDFNL tried to bring Rolling Meadows into the league? In regards to the netball debate, give me a spell, I am all about increasing female participation, but surely the kangas should have been able to forgo their netball commitments especially with the opportunities they are providing female footballers in the region. Surely that conversation was had. Would hate to think the kangas are leaving purely on the back of netball participation????

I think Clubs need to look after themselves and noone knows a club like the volunteers involved in them. I struggle to get a grip though on why clubs will play football outside their immediate region when community footy should be based around playing in and around your surrounding community. The kangas atleast will have Rolling Meadows as a competing club, but I have sure enjoyed seeing the rupo kangas rivalry over the years. Rupo now has no immediate team competing in sunbury in the Riddell league, has Diggers down the road but they have become the point of difference with the Lions now in the immediate community. Interesting to see how that plays out. I would rather see all the sunbury clubs get stronger and compete with each other, I think that would add real spice and rivalry as opposed to them going off in their separate ways. I wonder if the RDFNL tried to bring Rolling Meadows into the league? In regards to the netball debate, give me a spell, I am all about increasing female participation, but surely the kangas should have been able to forgo their netball commitments especially with the opportunities they are providing female footballers in the region. Surely that conversation was had. Would hate to think the kangas are leaving purely on the back of netball participation????

Rolling Meadows juniors played in RDFL but when they graduated to having senior teams, chose not to continue with RDFL.
At one stage, there was talk of making the Rolling Meadows ground the league headquarters but that also went by the wayside

Have I missed something? Bombers are advertising for a senior coach. Does that mean Elliot is leaving or do they expect him to reapply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have I missed something? Bombers are advertising for a senior coach. Does that mean Elliot is leaving or do they expect him to reapply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did hear that Power was to be appointed, not sure if it had any substance though, interesting that you’d bump such a quality coach

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I think it would be fair to say Power had a significant influence on the coaching at Riddell over the last 2 years. Elliot has had a good go at it and without power not sure they would have gotten that far anyway. Most clubs have in their constitution to advertise, some don't but maybe Elliot had not committed or is not committed so they have gone to market. Elliot has done Riddell for 4 years now hasn't he, did Diggers for 3 and number of other clubs, 2 or 3 years at a club locally is plenty I reckon, get success or get out. We all know one thing about Riddell, they won't be searching too far for a coach, they always get quality people coaching them, can't remember the last poor coach they have had. Any other coaching changes?

I think it would be fair to say Power had a significant influence on the coaching at Riddell over the last 2 years. Elliot has had a good go at it and without power not sure they would have gotten that far anyway. Most clubs have in their constitution to advertise, some don't but maybe Elliot had not committed or is not committed so they have gone to market. Elliot has done Riddell for 4 years now hasn't he, did Diggers for 3 and number of other clubs, 2 or 3 years at a club locally is plenty I reckon, get success or get out. We all know one thing about Riddell, they won't be searching too far for a coach, they always get quality people coaching them, can't remember the last poor coach they have had. Any other coaching changes?

AFL u are very switched on, can I ask who you think is the best coach currently in the comp list aside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back