RDFNL 2018 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The season has not been one to remember surely from the league perspective with the gap the widest it has been in years. Broken record though that there was a bigger agenda when bringing the points system in around the focus on the two neighboring big leagues but won't open up ol wounds. You just have to look at the young goldfields trip to cairns, they only allow certain numbers of kid from RDFL and MCDFL to be picked with majority picked form the BFL. Surely a regional rep team should just be best talent no matter what league your from. To me it shows their thoughts on the respective leagues. Would love to know if any of the clubs have heard from the league and Goldfields, what is there thoughts, what is the strategy going forward as the people i know in footy reckon they have not even heard from the new league chief, and he only barks when the big dogs at goldfields let him. The big dogs are up in cairns on their junket so there must be a blanket ban on anything occurring until they return.

The were more than 5-6 RDFL kids capable of being in that squad I assure you, but is it the whole “sell your raffle tickets” bit that has a say?
Maybe there is a genuine BFL bias, I was scratching my head at a recent RDFL junior rep side too and where a majority of players hailed from. Maybe some matey matey stuff goes on and genuine junior development isn’t the main focus.

Off topic, the RDFL might be lopsided but can always be worse ha ha .... I Bet anyone Goldfields employed lucky to be in Cairns are pretty pleased they’re not having to deal with media requests about Darley and Melton South right now.

The were more than 5-6 RDFL kids capable of being in that squad I assure you, but is it the whole “sell your raffle tickets” bit that has a say?
Maybe there is a genuine BFL bias, I was scratching my head at a recent RDFL junior rep side too and where a majority of players hailed from. Maybe some matey matey stuff goes on and genuine junior development isn’t the main focus.

Off topic, the RDFL might be lopsided but can always be worse ha ha .... I Bet anyone Goldfields employed lucky to be in Cairns are pretty pleased they’re not having to deal with media requests about Darley and Melton South right now.

Bloody madness over there. I've seen a lot of things in my time in country footy but never a coach fighting his own player during a game

Heard the same last year by a parent Doon where the kids actually have to sell over $500 of raffle tickets. That is surely to ensure that all the staff get to go as all of sudden this group has line coaches, two runners, selectors, welfare management water boys who seem to be the paid administrators of the league etc etc. Never thought that the junior rep teams are truly represented by the actual talent or should I say performing talent in the league.

Agree the BFL has some laundry to clean this week![/QUOTE]

Might be a stupid question Doons but can the clubs vote out of the current situation and get out of the RDFL and start it’s own comp? I can see some of the frustrations people are having, seems to me the league is forgetting what it’s all about I have been talking to a few clubs and the bs fines they are getting is out of control.

If anyone from the league is reading this from sunny Cairns please let us plebs know what your strategy is? What are we doing about the under 18 comp it’s hard for us old passionate blokes seeing 14 under 18s take a field to play a game.

Might be a stupid question Doons but can the clubs vote out of the current situation and get out of the RDFL and start it’s own comp? I can see some of the frustrations people are having, seems to me the league is forgetting what it’s all about I have been talking to a few clubs and the bs fines they are getting is out of control.

If anyone from the league is reading this from sunny Cairns please let us plebs know what your strategy is? What are we doing about the under 18 comp it’s hard for us old passionate blokes seeing 14 under 18s take a field to play a game.

It is worse when you consider it is now under 19.5 and some clubs are forced to play 20 year olds to field a side. My prediction is that we could finish up with only 6 or 7 clubs being able to field a under age side in the senior competition. Perhaps as early as next year, then what happens to our league. Remember AFL Goldfields were employed to manage the league to REDUCE COSTS and management by volunteers, not take it over to the detriment of the league owners, THE CLUBS.

It is worse when you consider it is now under 19.5 and some clubs are forced to play 20 year olds to field a side. My prediction is that we could finish up with only 6 or 7 clubs being able to field a under age side in the senior competition. Perhaps as early as next year, then what happens to our league. Remember AFL Goldfields were employed to manage the league to REDUCE COSTS and management by volunteers, not take it over to the detriment of the league owners, THE CLUBS.
Who could you actually guarantee will have an under 19 team. Looking at numbers coming through,I’d say Diggers. Everyone else will require a club/coach to actively generate enough players.

Unsure to be honest, but the last or (upcoming tender) process needs to include some wise club heads as from afar it still seems some board folk (not all) aren’t truly doing all they should/could for the actual RDFL clubs.

But in saying that there hasn’t been a groundswell or challengers or a ticket of willing folk to step in and/or step up.

u/19 is a problem in most Leagues. WRFL - 3 Divisions of 28 clubs for a total of 5 x u/19 teams. EDFL - Premier Division have 10 clubs which of only 7 are able to field u/19 teams

Not sure what you propose can be done to accommodate all sides?From afar I think the Rdfl and Goldfields aren’t doing a good job running the comp but why is it their fault participation rates are fallingat U19 level?.Footys cactus everywhere not just Rdfl.For instance Wallan juniors are in Northern Football League and have 2 U/9 teams,one team in each U10,11,12,13,14and 15.No U16 and U 17s they have had to merge with Kilmore to form a side which is a better outcome than both clubs having no team.The Kilmore/Wallan side is 11 losses no wins with a sad % of 29.So whilst Wallan tracking well in U 18s Atm things may turn south sharply in near future.Not ideal and all clubs go through it.Any solution im unaware of?

Lower ages seem healthy enough everywhere, I guess it's when the grog, gear etc etc come into the equation that the attrition rates are taking affect. Amazing how many gifted young blokes you see at local footy these days with can in hand (or bottled water ha ha) no longer participating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...h/news-story/60695dc323697a987590f5fd5615ecc8

Would be disappointing to see the old Rovers leave the comp.Struggled for a long time early days however turned it around and become a strong and successful club.Unlike some other clubs they never layed down and folded for a season but kept on battling away.Interested to see how this plays out.

I have seen them tirelessly trying to recruit netball players and coaches, but with no luck. If they get fined for not fielding sides, that is out of their control, surely they need to consider alternatives. I believe they have considered it in the past but didn't want to leave their netballers in limbo.

I would love to see them stay in the RDFL but at the end of the day, the club needs to do what ever is in the best interest of the club and it's members.
I'm sure it is not an easy decision for the club to make.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...h/news-story/60695dc323697a987590f5fd5615ecc8

Would be disappointing to see the old Rovers leave the comp.Struggled for a long time early days however turned it around and become a strong and successful club.Unlike some other clubs they never layed down and folded for a season but kept on battling away.Interested to see how this plays out.
Word around the traps is that the EDFL has already supplied the jumpers for next year

Word around the traps is that the EDFL has already supplied the jumpers for next year

Surely the league must be concerned with this development if it happens
My mail is Sunbury are gone which is a shame.
There must be something wrong if clubs are continually looking at other options
Is it the fees clubs are charged
Is it the standard of footy
Is it direction or lack of it from the goldfields as to where the RDFNL is heading.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it the standard of footy
Is it direction or lack of it from the goldfields as to where the RDFNL is heading.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Makes for interesting situation between them and East Sunbury now can they both flourish in the same comp? Rovers vs Goonawarra derby sounds delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it the standard of a

They are going on junkets mate. Number 4 for the year with a netball one now about to depart. We have too many representative teams. Academies, rdfl interleague (seriously two teams at under 14), goldfields teams not to mention TAC rep teams (start at under 15).

If resources are continually diverted from the clubs for these additional programs we WILL end up with fewer and fewer teams at the age groups that join senior football to junior football. The bonds between players and clubs are continually stretched for short term accolades.

Too many good (not great) football players and their parents are spending time away from the place they are needed most for a pair of fancy football shorts or a $10 training singlet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes for interesting situation between them and East Sunbury now can they both flourish in the same comp? Rovers vs Goonawarra derby sounds delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting reading another league is looking at recruiting in clubs reckon may be another club investigating its options come end season

Yep it appears AFL Vic out to the Eastern Suburbs/Yarra Ranges region may be shuffling the cards a bit, and maybe AFL Goulburn Murray too with a handful of Picola clubs possibly forming a two division Kyabram DFL comp.
Makes sense up that way, 14 club comp, no where near an even draw at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back