RDFNL 2019 Season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

footylads07

Debutant
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Always intrigued me why Trentham play in the Maryborough-Castlemaine League. They seem far more geographically aligned with the Riddell, or even Central Highlands League. Most of the Riddell League clubs would be 30-40 minutes drive from Trentham, whereas they would generally be driving at least an hour to play most of the teams in the Maryborough- Castlemaine League.

Did they apply to enter the Riddell League at some stage and get rejected, hence joining their current league? Or is the standard in MCDFL significantly lower than the Riddell League, so more suited to their club’s ability?
Well said! Would be good having trentham in the comp !

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Always intrigued me why Trentham play in the Maryborough-Castlemaine League. They seem far more geographically aligned with the Riddell, or even Central Highlands League. Most of the Riddell League clubs would be 30-40 minutes drive from Trentham, whereas they would generally be driving at least an hour to play most of the teams in the Maryborough- Castlemaine League.

Did they apply to enter the Riddell League at some stage and get rejected, hence joining their current league? Or is the standard in MCDFL significantly lower than the Riddell League, so more suited to their club’s ability?
According to Wikipedia they were formerly in the Riddell league (before my time) & the MCDFNL would be of a lower standard than the RDFNL.
Seeing as though they're roughly halfway between Daylesford/Hepburn (CHFL) and Woodend it'd be interesting which way they'd turn should they ever seek to leave their current comp.

olly21

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2010
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
According to Wikipedia they were formerly in the Riddell league (before my time) & the MCDFNL would be of a lower standard than the RDFNL.
Seeing as though they're roughly halfway between Daylesford/Hepburn (CHFL) and Woodend it'd be interesting which way they'd turn should they ever seek to leave their current comp.

As far as i no from an outsider of the club the club was looking at moving to the chfl if it had a second division as was proposed a few years ago but never went thru. The CHFL has 18 or so teams in it now. Trentham's build in the MCDFL is a slow build, it was down the bottom for a fair while after recruting heavily in melbourne. It started a slow build with there juniors and has come to fruition now with coming 3rd with locals. They havent won a MCDFL senior flag after all there work and its a lower standard than the RDFL. Im pretty sure Woodend beat them easy most years in praccy matches. Its a cracking ground buy the way. Id love to see them in the RDFL but only if they would be succesful as i have always had a soft spot for them

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds well down the track if you see the AFL Outer East website today ...

The AFL Outer East Commission has released detailed information about the competition’s structure for 2020 and beyond, with details of each divisions make up, Female Football, Netball, Under 18’s and more included in a document sent to clubs from Region General Manager Aaron Bailey regarding the future of the region.

A statement about the league’s standing regarding the issue of a possible Northern region was also included.

Mr Bailey indicated that the Outer East is expecting to be a 28 team competition in 2020 with Berwick Springs continuing its evolution. The club having committed to fielding three senior football sides and the full compliment of netball sides next season. The Titans will compete in the league’s Division One.

The Commission also indicated that they expect Riddell District club Broadford to be a part of the competition, after its application was ratified at a recent Special General Meeting. Mr Bailey said in his document that if successful the club will join Division Two.

“Broadford, if successful in their application, will join the Division Two model.”

“Broadford, who wear the traditional blue and white jumpers of the Kangaroos, will wear an Essendon style clash strip when they play Thornton Eildon. The Black jumper, with red sash is Broadford’s previous club jumper.”

footylads07

Debutant
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Jee it’s a massive area that league covers! Needs to be called afl out north-east 😆
Has Broadford considered the move to the nfl div 3 like Kilmore ?

Morgs senior

Senior List
Feb 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds well down the track if you see the AFL Outer East website today ...

The AFL Outer East Commission has released detailed information about the competition’s structure for 2020 and beyond, with details of each divisions make up, Female Football, Netball, Under 18’s and more included in a document sent to clubs from Region General Manager Aaron Bailey regarding the future of the region.

A statement about the league’s standing regarding the issue of a possible Northern region was also included.

Mr Bailey indicated that the Outer East is expecting to be a 28 team competition in 2020 with Berwick Springs continuing its evolution. The club having committed to fielding three senior football sides and the full compliment of netball sides next season. The Titans will compete in the league’s Division One.

The Commission also indicated that they expect Riddell District club Broadford to be a part of the competition, after its application was ratified at a recent Special General Meeting. Mr Bailey said in his document that if successful the club will join Division Two.

“Broadford, if successful in their application, will join the Division Two model.”

“Broadford, who wear the traditional blue and white jumpers of the Kangaroos, will wear an Essendon style clash strip when they play Thornton Eildon. The Black jumper, with red sash is Broadford’s previous club jumper.”
Very interesting to read something from a league that has plans and is open about sharing them.

They seem to be a well run organisation, no wonder teams are looking to join them.

Dec 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds like their Division 2 comp will be the prelude to the mooted 'Seymour' league.

In 2020 they will have:
Alexandra
Broadford
Kinglake
Powelltown
Thornton-Eildon
Warburton Millgrove
Yarra Glen
Yarra Junction
Yea

To make it a Seymour-based competition:
Add in: Bonnie Doon (OKFL), Longwood (KDL)
Take out: Powelltown, Warburton Millgrove, Yarra Glen, Yarra Junction (geographic).
Possible: Avenel and Violet Town (KDL).
Future: Wandong?
Longshots: Kilmore (seem happy in NFNL), Lancefield and Wallan (unless RDFNL falls over), Mansfield (GVL).

If one of these sides was to stay north it would be Yarra Glen (pros - regular low division side, played a number of these sides regularly and done the travel. cons - teams based further north means more 1 hour plus each way trips, history in Yarra Valley football since 1888).

wtfa

Debutant
Dec 26, 2007
pucka
Sounds like their Division 2 comp will be the prelude to the mooted 'Seymour' league.

In 2020 they will have:
Alexandra
Broadford
Kinglake
Powelltown
Thornton-Eildon
Warburton Millgrove
Yarra Glen
Yarra Junction
Yea

To make it a Seymour-based competition:
Add in: Bonnie Doon (OKFL), Longwood (KDL)
Take out: Powelltown, Warburton Millgrove, Yarra Glen, Yarra Junction (geographic).
Possible: Avenel and Violet Town (KDL).
Future: Wandong?
Longshots: Kilmore (seem happy in NFNL), Lancefield and Wallan (unless RDFNL falls over), Mansfield (GVL).

If one of these sides was to stay north it would be Yarra Glen (pros - regular low division side, played a number of these sides regularly and done the travel. cons - teams based further north means more 1 hour plus each way trips, history in Yarra Valley football since 1888).
Leave as is

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Jee it’s a massive area that league covers! Needs to be called afl out north-east 😆

Big km’s alright, I last did it for the 2015 season and by Rd.17 when it took me 2hrs to get to Powelltown, dislodged my coccyx filling in for our 2’s then wrote of my Rodeo coming home after hitting a Roo over Kinglake I said to my wife at the time .... I think we’re done

No doubt had Yea FC been in a more suited geographical comp I’d still be involved but those YVMDFL Km’s we’re full on.

Fingers crossed for Broadford it’s only one season of those km’s before a re-aligned version of a north comp run by AFLOE is established

Dec 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
No doubt had Yea FC been in a more suited geographical comp I’d still be involved but those YVMDFL Km’s we’re full on.

Fingers crossed for Broadford it’s only one season of those km’s before a re-aligned version of a north comp run by AFLOE is established

From the sound of the beating drums, it sounds as though AFL Outer East and AFL Goulburn Murray are working through a way for these clubs to play in their own competition under the AFLOE banner from 2021 with no enforced promotion or relegation to other levels of Outer East footy. Kinglake would be the southern-most team and either Longwood or Violet Town would be the northern-most club.

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
From the sound of the beating drums, it sounds as though AFL Outer East and AFL Goulburn Murray are working through a way for these clubs to play in their own competition under the AFLOE banner from 2021 with no enforced promotion or relegation to other levels of Outer East footy. Kinglake would be the southern-most team and either Longwood or Violet Town would be the northern-most club.

Everyone praying and hoping at this stage I'd imagine mate - whatever can prolong and sustain clubs futures and prevention of dying is all I'm worried about.
Hopefully the new comp should it eventuate be an U17 model otherwise Broadford may struggle wherever they go anyway, if they can't field a 3rds squad.

AFLL

Senior List
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
From all reports Waters really well received at the Tigers and should see a few new faces, maybe some old faces of the league return to the club to support Waters. This is terrific for the club and the league and Lancefield were once a real powerhouse of the comp. Riddell I am hearing are quite active this year, talking to quite a few, not sure who leaving, hear the rumours like everyone but Riddell get a few lose a few every year and are always strong. Beleville coaching alone I believe next year Elliot gone. The Burra doing there business under the radar, will keep most and look to add some quality younger players with some pace I am told to compliment their contested warriors. Couple of lions may end up at the Burra. Rupo focus on keeping the list, why wouldn't you, you win a GF by 80+ you have something good going with your reserves and unders also featuring GF day. Will also get couple of cannons more than they did this year to. Couple of retirements but expect 2-3 to walk in the door to replenish. Macedon pulled the right reign imo getting meldrum. It may be "going back in time" as one supporter told me but like waters he can galvanise that club, and will draw a lot of support from some past cat players from other clubs that may return. Won't spend big this year but will stabilise. No disrespect to Woodend and Centrals intended, but I assume we will hear the same ol same ol over summer, they have improved, they have recruited, they are going to jump up the ladder........ Heard nothing on romsey and wallan is too far away for my networks. Thats what I have heard in last 2 weeks. All could be wrong being the silly season, just putting it out there.

Humphrey BB

All Australian
Aug 29, 2016
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Black Ducks, Leedy Lions
three Gisborne pickups, needed a ruckman to either assist or takeover from Nolan, Grabham is a basketballer jumper type, not as tall as Read was. I believe the other two were in and out of the 1’s and twos. Be interested to see how they handle the difference between Bendigo and RDFL footy.

Waddington

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
sunbury
AFL Club
Collingwood
three Gisborne pickups, needed a ruckman to either assist or takeover from Nolan, Grabham is a basketballer jumper type, not as tall as Read was. I believe the other two were in and out of the 1’s and twos. Be interested to see how they handle the difference between Bendigo and RDFL footy.

the ruckman is a good player the other 2 are just ok.. would be 12 points i would think for all 3 so its a big call ..
has anyone heard if the sahlbergs are gone ?

leo tolstoy

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
the ruckman is a good player the other 2 are just ok.. would be 12 points i would think for all 3 so its a big call ..
has anyone heard if the sahlbergs are gone ?
Also said 95% of the list has been re-signed. Essentially 1 player leaving. They played under points by about 5-6 so with reductions shouldn’t be a problem. Especially if a departure is on higher points.

Hi guys,

The Rockbank FSC is holding a community day at the ground on Sunday 20th October, with kids rides, market stalls and raffles and auctions.

It would be great if members of the RDFNL community could make the time to come down on the day and support the club.

Attachments

• FFDD089B-F95A-4F2E-9C0F-46A0E38CEBFE.jpeg
    FFDD089B-F95A-4F2E-9C0F-46A0E38CEBFE.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 47DF349B-ACC8-4E77-B32A-8B0A3A0ACC46.jpeg
    47DF349B-ACC8-4E77-B32A-8B0A3A0ACC46.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 186
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back