RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I read on the EDFL bigfooty page that some of the Rupo senior players are not overly happy moving from the RDFL to EDFL if the transfer goes ahead and a few players could be leaving. Anyone confirm or deny this?
Hereing the same. Alreddy a few shopping themsalves around to other clubs is the strong word. Forma coach made it clear edfl wasnt were he'd coach and players agreed thats why he quit

Hereing the same. Alreddy a few shopping themsalves around to other clubs is the strong word. Forma coach made it clear edfl wasnt were he'd coach and players agreed thats why he quit

What a load of crap..... Ashy was and remains supportive of the proposed move. Suggest you check your facts / sources

Last edited:
What a load of crap..... Aahy was and remains supportive of the proposed move. Suggest you check your facts / sources
i Heard he was looking for assistant coaches to come on board this year with a view to taking over from him next year when they join the edfl.

What a load of crap..... Ashy was and remains supportive of the proposed move. Suggest you check your facts / sources
That is
That’s plain fabrication, no truth in that whatsoever.

As much as it opens up the Premiership window, it lessons the standard of the competition considerably.

You blokes have been awesome and I wish your club well and look forward to catching up on some replays of your games on the youtube channel.

Slightly concerning that Rupo are out the door, particularly on the back of Broadfords exit.
Hopefully someone at hq has a plan that helps ensure stability for this comp as we look to the future.

Agree Bluejet. Not judging Kilmore, Kangaroos, Broadford or Rupo, I am sure they all had there specific reasons, but this is a concern and anyone that says it is not is kidding themselves. 4 clubs in 4 years, 3 that impact the junior structure. Externally what is the attraction now for players to come into the league to many of the clubs, internally, do we think by losing another yearly premiership contender that this helps the league. 9 Clubs in a comp puts the league in a very vulnerable position. Forget what you think of any of these clubs personally, where is the league heading. The EDFL a few years back outlined there plan for a 3 division comp with number of teams, they have achieved it. In achieving it they also now have a solid footprint in RDFL heartland with now no Sunbury Club in the RDFL and now 4 clubs in Sunbury providing a viable alternative for young players or established players wanting to play in a very competitive competition.

As much as it opens up the Premiership window, it lessons the standard of the competition considerably.

You blokes have been awesome and I wish your club well and look forward to catching up on some replays of your games on the youtube channel.
Many Thanks Auck, have always enjoyed my trips to Wallan, especially in the last couple of years when I have had a connection to your club as well.
The hospitality is always first class. Hope you guys have a chance to experience what we did last year !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Bluejet. Not judging Kilmore, Kangaroos, Broadford or Rupo, I am sure they all had there specific reasons, but this is a concern and anyone that says it is not is kidding themselves. 4 clubs in 4 years, 3 that impact the junior structure. Externally what is the attraction now for players to come into the league to many of the clubs, internally, do we think by losing another yearly premiership contender that this helps the league. 9 Clubs in a comp puts the league in a very vulnerable position. Forget what you think of any of these clubs personally, where is the league heading. The EDFL a few years back outlined there plan for a 3 division comp with number of teams, they have achieved it. In achieving it they also now have a solid footprint in RDFL heartland with now no Sunbury Club in the RDFL and now 4 clubs in Sunbury providing a viable alternative for young players or established players wanting to play in a very competitive competition.
Good points
A qestion that shod be arsked is afl victoria an goldfields roll in this. Is it better for them to keep lettin clubs go. Fair enuff clubs want to go but some time biggar picture is keepin a club saves 7 or 8
Rdfl has a lot to thenk about but its still got a future if th
Agree Bluejet. Not judging Kilmore, Kangaroos, Broadford or Rupo, I am sure they all had there specific reasons, but this is a concern and anyone that says it is not is kidding themselves. 4 clubs in 4 years, 3 that impact the junior structure. Externally what is the attraction now for players to come into the league to many of the clubs, internally, do we think by losing another yearly premiership contender that this helps the league. 9 Clubs in a comp puts the league in a very vulnerable position. Forget what you think of any of these clubs personally, where is the league heading. The EDFL a few years back outlined there plan for a 3 division comp with number of teams, they have achieved it. In achieving it they also now have a solid footprint in RDFL heartland with now no Sunbury Club in the RDFL and now 4 clubs in Sunbury providing a viable alternative for young players or established players wanting to play in a very competitive competition. Maybe afl vic want to let the league get swallowed up

Has anyone heard if Trentham has been mentioned in coming into RDFNL? Only club I can think of geographically being able to come in. It a Cracking ground and great club, but a fair rise in standard tho compared to the MCDFNL.

When Kilmore applied to leave the RDFL and were initially blocked, Rod Ward told the AFL hearing that their plan was to have a two division comp within five years. A few years later the RDFL are a nine team comp. I wish the RDFL all the best, but the previous management has a bit to answer for.

Well the time has come to bid farewell to this thread. Thanks to you all for the great chats, banter and insightful local footy analysis. This league has been a massive part of my footy life since I was a kid and I genuinely hope that it can come out of this current difficult period. Growing up in the 80s and 90s this league was an absolute powerhouse that has always drawn large crowds and has produced some super star players. I will definitely miss the picturesque country venues like Lancefield, Romsey, Macedon and Riddell.

I’m really proud of our club and what we’ve been able to achieve. We did it the hard way but that just made it all the more memorable when we achieved the ultimate goal in 2019.

I wish everyone all the best and can only hope that 2021 is a year of rejuvenation with an increase in volunteers and sponsors at club land. Every town needs a competitive football team.

Signing off...

Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunbury Lions are the interesting proposition, will be interesting if they stay in Ballarat? I know if i am a senior player who lives in Sunbury I would much rather be playing every 2nd week 20mins down the road in Essendon than the 1.5hour trip to the Rat.. especially now the quality of footy and cash available playing in EDFL at least matches what was available in Ballarat.

Additionally for talented kids trying to play at Calder, i imagine it would be better for them to be playing club football against other kids in the Calder system.

Has anyone heard if Trentham has been mentioned in coming into RDFNL? Only club I can think of geographically being able to come in. It a Cracking ground and great club, but a fair rise in standard tho compared to the MCDFNL.

In all honesty its more likely the RDFL clubs will seperate and join alternate leagues.

Woodend & Macendon join the MCDFNL
Centrals & Rockbank WRFL
Wallan back to NFL
Diggers Rest EDFL

Riddell, Lancefield & Romsey are the more difficult clubs to place geographically, but i suppose a trip to Castelmaine is no further than Rockbank..

Additionally for talented kids trying to play at Calder, i imagine it would be better for them to be playing club football against other kids in the Calder system.
Could be detrimental too, certainly wont be getting anywhere near 8-10 kids in rep squads anymore.
Kids will be fine ... parents however :p

Last edited:
Could Lancefield join AFL Outer East???
Average distance travelled
Lancefield vs OE - 98kms biggest trip one way 145kms
Lancefield vs Heathcote - 115kms biggest trip one way 180kms
Lancefield vs Central Highlands - 110kms biggest trip one way 160kms

Hi all long time lurker hiding in the shadows. What is everyone’s thoughts about getting the super powerful clubs back into the league.
Super league including - Sunbury, Melton, Melton South, Gisborne, Craigieburn and any other similar level clubs from the local area that have played in the league before! Could have a first and second division with both current and new clubs.

Hi all long time lurker hiding in the shadows. What is everyone’s thoughts about getting the super powerful clubs back into the league.
Super league including - Sunbury, Melton, Melton South, Gisborne, Craigieburn and any other similar level clubs from the local area that have played in the league before! Could have a first and second division with both current and new clubs.

That ship has sailed 20 years ago, what once was a great football competition was destroyed by a few selfish clubs and individuals.. I reckon everyone of those clubs regrets the decision but its now just too hard with too much water under the bridge.

In all honesty its more likely the RDFL clubs will seperate and join alternate leagues.

Woodend & Macendon join the MCDFNL
Centrals & Rockbank WRFL
Wallan back to NFL
Diggers Rest EDFL

Riddell, Lancefield & Romsey are the more difficult clubs to place geographically, but i suppose a trip to Castelmaine is no further than Rockbank..
yes could be interesting would we see maybe woodend macedon riddell romsey diggers all go edfl through in st. albans caroline springs and all of sudden you have an extra division would not be a suprise at all

yes could be interesting would we see maybe woodend macedon riddell romsey diggers all go edfl through in st. albans caroline springs and all of sudden you have an extra division would not be a suprise at all

It would be such a shame for what is essentially a country Vic league with some of the most picturesque and quintessential venues swallowed up by a suburban comp.

God I wish I had play in the comp when I had the chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back