RDFNL 2021 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowen Medal winner?

Would be very surprised if Steven Boyall wasn't the winner.
Not to be rude but don’t know why they are awarding it they did not award the Brownlow medal during 1942 to 45 seasons even thou games were played comprised seasons due to the war but suppose in today’s woke society everyone wins a prize.

Not to be rude but don’t know why they are awarding it they did not award the Brownlow medal during 1942 to 45 seasons even thou games were played comprised seasons due to the war but suppose in today’s woke society everyone wins a prize.

Looks like all leagues are doing it.

Well done to all players selected in the TOY and to Ricky Schraven on winning the Bowen Medal.

What a dominant performance by WFNC in all 3 grades have not seen such a smashing like this ever in a awards night like I said at the start of the year Wallan then a massive gap to everyone else.

What a dominant performance by WFNC in all 3 grades have not seen such a smashing like this ever in a awards night like I said at the start of the year Wallan then a massive gap to everyone else.

Yep. I would expect much the same in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Wallan losing a few players to other leagues is that due to a lack of opportunities or something else Aucklander?
who is leaving?

Bill Direen, Liam Birch and Conner Hamilton. I would say more opportunities for senior footy. All 3 would be good value for Heathcote and who know Sal pretty well.

Huge recruit in Tim Walsh back at Riddell from Gisborne. Absolute gun and will be a 1 point player too. Great to see him in the red and black again.

Huge recruit in Tim Walsh back at Riddell from Gisborne. Absolute gun and will be a 1 point player too. Great to see him in the red and black again.
With 2 seasons now lost due to covid and mental toll from everyday life and now more than ever finding it hard to have more volunteers put their hands up, if in a hyperthetical world, that the rdfnl went all out to make a more "local and former clubs" league, does anyone out here think this could work?

And what would be the pros and cons. Yes I know it gets spoken about, but we've had 2 terrible years with stuff all footy, would this possibility bring back some excitement to the league.

Division 1 would be cracking games every week! IMO
Division 2 would be competitive as well.

Could this work?

DIVISION 1
Diggers
Sunbury
Kyneton
Gisborne
Riddell
Melton
Wallan
Craigieburn
Darley
Bacchus Marsh

DIVISION 2
Woodend
Rockbank
Trentham
East Sunbury
Jacana/Eynesbury/Gisborne Giants
Melton South
Melton Central
Macedon
Romsey
Lancefield

Bottom 2 in Div 1 relegated
Grand finalists from div 2 promoted

I know it would be extremely hard to get the other clubs to come across and join the rdfnl, I'm just saying, if they agreed and it went ahead.

It was only 2010 where Brendan Gale said the tigers wanted 3 flags by 2020 & 75k plus members and Garry Lyon laughed at him (FOOTY CLASSIFIED, link below)

Like Gale says "it starts with a vision, if we don't have a vision to be the best, we may as well pack up and go home"

So why can't the rdfnl have a vision as bold as the Richmond FC?

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

With 2 seasons now lost due to covid and mental toll from everyday life and now more than ever finding it hard to have more volunteers put their hands up, if in a hyperthetical world, that the rdfnl went all out to make a more "local and former clubs" league, does anyone out here think this could work?

And what would be the pros and cons. Yes I know it gets spoken about, but we've had 2 terrible years with stuff all footy, would this possibility bring back some excitement to the league.

Could this work?

DIVISION 1
Diggers
Sunbury
Kyneton
Gisborne
Riddell
Melton
Wallan
Craigieburn
Darley
Bacchus Marsh

DIVISION 2
Woodend
Rockbank
Trentham
East Sunbury
Melton South
Melton Central
Macedon
Romsey
Lancefield

I know it would be extremely hard to get the other clubs to come across and join the rdfnl, I'm just saying, if they agreed and it went ahead.

It was only 2010 where Brendan Gale said the tigers wanted 3 flags by 2020 & 75k plus members and Garry Lyon laughed at him (FOOTY CLASSIFIED, link below)

Like Gale says "it starts with a vision, if we don't have a vision to be the best, we may as well pack up and go home"

i like the idea.
not sure which Sunbury you are referring to but both Lions and Kangaroos could be included and also Rupo, Broadford and Kilmore could be approache.

i like the idea.
not sure which Sunbury you are referring to but both Lions and Kangaroos could be included and also Rupo, Broadford and Kilmore could be approache.
Oops, I meant to put Sunbury Lions.

I purposely didn't mention those other teams as they have all recently decided to leave in the last few years.

Yes the others have as well, but it was a long time ago.

Craigieburn would be a constant in adiv 1 and not the yo-yo EDFL club they are. Give them a point of difference in the edfl region.

Jacana would able to build, slowly yes, but give them some time and they might flourish, it was only a few years ago they won the flag.

Sunbury kangas, Rupo, Kilmore and Broadford have all left recently.
If we build it, they will come (back)....maybe.

It's only going to get harder with the last 2 years and the toll it's taken on players, Coaches, volunteers and supporters.

There would be some cracking games every week and get our footy back to how it was.

I think it would drive crowd numbers through the roof.

Oops, I meant to put Sunbury Lions.

I purposely didn't mention those other teams as they have all recently decided to leave in the last few years.

Yes the others have as well, but it was a long time ago.

Craigieburn would be a constant in adiv 1 and not the yo-yo EDFL club they are. Give them a point of difference in the edfl region.

Jacana would able to build, slowly yes, but give them some time and they might flourish, it was only a few years ago they won the flag.

Sunbury kangas, Rupo, Kilmore and Broadford have all left recently.
If we build it, they will come (back)....maybe.

It's only going to get harder with the last 2 years and the toll it's taken on players, Coaches, volunteers and supporters.

There would be some cracking games every week and get our footy back to how it was.

I think it would drive crowd numbers through the roof.

I quite like the idea but I think it’d needed to be tweaked and not promotion relegation. The 2 issues that I see is that it would destroy both the Bendigo and Ballarat football leagues which AFL vic wouldn’t let happen. Also clubs like Riddell, Macedon ect rely on players from Sunbury and Gisborne to fill there teams as there are not enough locals in those towns. It could very well hurt the smaller towns which would need to be protected and put in Div 2.

Could this work?

DIVISION 1
Diggers
Sunbury
Kyneton
Gisborne
Riddell
Melton
Wallan
Craigieburn
Darley
Bacchus Marsh

DIVISION 2
Woodend
Rockbank
Trentham
East Sunbury
Melton South
Melton Central
Macedon
Romsey
Lancefield

I like the idea and wish it would happen butplaying devils advocate it would decimate the Ballarat and Bendigo football leagues. The trickle down effect would be huge to many leagues. My other thought is smaller towns rely on the city centres of Sunbury, gisborne ect. Big town teams play in Div 1, everyone else is in Div 2. Clubs like Riddell and Macedon who have been successful have to recruit from gissy, Sunbury ect. You couldn’t expect them as a town of 1000 people playing towns that have over 10,000 eg Riddell V gisborne

I like the idea and wish it would happen butplaying devils advocate it would decimate the Ballarat and Bendigo football leagues. The trickle down effect would be huge to many leagues. My other thought is smaller towns rely on the city centres of Sunbury, gisborne ect. Big town teams play in Div 1, everyone else is in Div 2. Clubs like Riddell and Macedon who have been successful have to recruit from gissy, Sunbury ect. You couldn’t expect them as a town of 1000 people playing towns that have over 10,000 eg Riddell V gisborne
I agree with you Olly, it would make it quite tough, but it would also help the development of the junior clubs and enticing their former players back to their club.

You mentioned Macedon, imagine they had former junior players, Dick, Markworth and Plowman all running around. Surely those 3 would help them in Div 1.

Biut I get what your saying, the current news of Walsh from Gisborne to Riddell may not have happened. I guess it would just come down, to what the club could offer the player (payments and job etc)

The essendon fl seem to be able to run with 20 plus teams, qnd yes I know they are bigger and more accessible to other metro comps to recruit players.

Your point is a valid one.

Taking 5 Ballarat teams and 2 Bendigo would hurt those leagues as well.

Still would be great to see though, and with clubs lighting facilities, a few night games thrown in. How good would a Saturday night at Sunbury be watching them take on Gisborne. Place would be packed...

I agree with you Olly, it would make it quite tough, but it would also help the development of the junior clubs and enticing their former players back to their club.

You mentioned Macedon, imagine they had former junior players, Dick, Markworth and Plowman all running around. Surely those 3 would help them in Div 1.

Biut I get what your saying, the current news of Walsh from Gisborne to Riddell may not have happened. I guess it would just come down, to what the club could offer the player (payments and job etc)

The essendon fl seem to be able to run with 20 plus teams, qnd yes I know they are bigger and more accessible to other metro comps to recruit players.

Your point is a valid one.

Taking 5 Ballarat teams and 2 Bendigo would hurt those leagues as well.

Still would be great to see though, and with clubs lighting facilities, a few night games thrown in. How good would a Saturday night at Sunbury be watching them take on Gisborne. Place would be packed...

I agree mate, it’d have footy buzzing around our area and I’d love to see it. Crowds would be massive. Makes sense in travel for those Ballarat/Bendigo FL clubs.

I personally can’t stand the EDFL as I feel it’s a bit souless with low supporter bases ect. Be interesting to get the feel of Sunbury Roos and Rupo in how they have enjoyed transferring over. Very early for a judgement from Rupo only after one year tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back