Banter RDT 151 - Tom Browne's Burner Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say JK wins another flag before he hangs the boots up would he be an option?

These are J Browns stats for his hall of fame:

3 flags
3 bnf
1 coleman
256 games
2 AA
596 Goals
Captain

JK:

1 Flag
0 bnF - Polls highly though and in our good years.
2 Coleman - Almost had 3.
244 games but should get to 260-264 barring injury + finals and could play next year
3 AA
611 Goals - Should get more this year.
Vice Captain.

Dont get me wrong J Brown was a good player but he really onl y3 great years during the 07-2009 seasons where he was among the best FF's. JK has played some great for longer periods of time and deserves to be rated above J Brown..
I agree that JK has been elite at his position for an extraordinarily long time, I just don't see what this has got to do with A, B, C or Q.

Quinny.

Wow

That is all

-------------------------------------------

RE: Brown vs JK

Brown had to play the first 80 or so games not as a key forward anyway in those dope Lions teams with Lynch and Brayshaw as the two mains. If you watch the 01-04 games you can randomly find Brown pushing to a wing or half back at various stages. The closer comparison is Darling because when he came in we let him play way down the list in our absurdly tall forward line circa 11-14.

I think its rough therefore to use the goal average against Brown, but likewise he doesn't deserve the credit for all the flags either, as he was unlikely to be in the 10 most important Lions to the team at the time.

Who wants to put a group together and go rescue Quinz from his workplace?

c29e09b54d1a1f2ea0222e2e55de2044.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relying on the judgement of a man who is prepared to kneel on a handcuffed man's neck for 8 minutes and his colleagues, who aren't minded to check what is going on is pretty risky business.

99% of folks will take the position that if innocent lives are going to be lost it's preferable for it not to be their innocent life.

Aside from this, supposing you managed to intervene without anyone coming to harm you can bet your arse that you will get dragged through their system for interfering with a public officer and have your life destroyed in court. It would be intolerable for any diminution of police authority to go unchallenged.

Doesn’t that seem a bit iffy? I mean, isn’t that effectively saying that their lives (the bystanders) are more important than the life of a man being murdered for absolutely no reason?

And, again, I don’t want to put any blame on the bystanders here. It’s the police officers fault - it squarely falls on the men in the position of power. I’m just not so sure it’s completely certain.

I completely understand your line of thinking (and it may be possible in a country like this) but at the same time it's unbelievably naive to think that anyone intervening in that situation wouldn't have just ended up dead as well.

Because the police officers would kill unarmed civilians who are trying to stop them murdering a man in custody?

Doesn’t that just sound absolutely insane? And yes, I agree with you, but I’m just not sure it’s completely certain that absolutely nothing could be done.

Last edited:
Doesn’t that seem a bit iffy? I mean, isn’t that effectively saying that their lives (the bystanders) are more important than the life of a man being murdered for absolutely no reason?

And, again, I don’t want to put any blame on the bystanders here. It’s the police officers fault - it squarely falls on the men in the position of power. I’m just not so sure it’s completely certain.

Because the police officers would kill unarmed civilians who are trying to stop them murdering a man in custody?

Doesn’t that just sound absolutely insane? And yes, I agree with you, but I’m just not sure it’s completely certain that absolutely nothing could be done.
The tester- would you have jumped the cops? Simple yes or no.
No way I would have, I value my own life above that of a stranger.

And, again, I don’t want to put any blame on the bystanders here. It’s the police officers fault - it squarely falls o the men in the position of power.

If I am the bystander I am definitely putting my life as more valuable than some poor bastard I don't know. Is that selfishness? Probably but I reckon thousands of years of evolution have stamped unprovoked altruism out of most folks. If it was immediate family I might respond differently.

People aren't valuing the bystanders as more important, they are relating why the bystander didn't take direct action to intervene.

The tester- would you have jumped the cops? Simple yes or no.
No way I would have, I value my own life above that of a stranger.

I want to say yes, but we both know that it can’t be said with any certainty. I mean, I sincerely believe I would, and hope I would, but when you find yourself in a situation like that, you don’t know what would be your first response. It’s the sort of thing that can’t be predicted until someone is actually in that ordeal.

I don’t want to give off the impression that I think I’m any better than the bystanders, because I’m not. It isn’t their fault that George Floyd died. I do believe (and hope), given the situation and context, I would try to intervene, but as I said, we can‘t know until I’m actually there.

If I am the bystander I am definitely putting my life as more valuable than some poor bastard I don't know. Is that selfishness? Probably but I reckon thousands of years of evolution have stamped unprovoked altruism out of most folks. If it was immediate family I might respond differently.

People aren't valuing the bystanders as more important, they are relating why the bystander didn't take direct action to intervene.

I thought you meant from the bystanders point of view - of course, nobody is saying they are, I just interpreted it as what your impression of their thought process was.

All I’m getting at is I don’t think intervening was impossible.

The moment you take a step towards them they're treating you as a threat even with your hands up and a very slow approach. They don't care what you have to say and you aren't going to overpower police officers.
As terrible as this incident is (and the many other incidents of police brutality) we can't have civilians physically interfering. We don't have all the information so the best we can do is document the abuse and use the law and pressure our politicians to enact change. I know this method doesn't always work and it won't bring back the victim but it's better than destroying another life by interfering.

Look up Daniel Shaver's murder via cop in a US hotel. They aren't all of that ilk, obviously, but if a cop is willing to kneel on someone's neck I'd be very hesitant in doing anything to approach that cop or his cronies.

Yes, it does. But it's also more than plausible, just look at all the police brutality that's emerging from just the last few days. Here's a link to about 100 videos of incidents.

Sorry but the hard truth is that if I'm there I'm not going up against a group of these psychos to save some random guy I don't know. Everyone's a hero until they have a family to get home to at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Plus there is always the chance that your actions end up with more deaths if you step in. If you were to dive in and try and push the cop off the guys back, you have a good chance of getting shot while your still three steps from the victim, who may still die anyway. There is also a chance that a George Floyd type doesn't die (without interference) , but you do if you try, bringing the count from 0-1.

Its a horrific scene to watch in person, but ultimately doing nothing is the best move.

It no where near the same level, but I did have a gun (later found out to be fake) pulled on me working at a fast food joint 13 years ago. As a kid you always have these ideas of how you think its going to go, but in reality it is completely different, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.

Il tell the whole story, I'm bored

--------------------------------------

2007, working for a large pizza chain in a less affluent suburb SOR. Late at night, only two staff left in store. Me, 18 year old delivery driver, pasty white kid. Assistant manager, early 20's woman, again, neither of us really the fighting type.

It's late at night, maybe 10pm. All the kids working in store have gone home, its just me and her doing the odd jobs before they close at 11pm. I'm refilling the drinks fridge, she is just finishing putting an order in the oven. Door opens.

Story of me, I hated dealing with customers, either over the phone or in person in the store (didn't mind those in their houses so much, they seemed ok). So I just pretended to not hear the customer come in hoping that the manager would deal with it and I could keep to my high life filling up a fridge with Coke and Sprite.

Maybe 20 seconds go past, I still have't looked at the dude. All of a sudden we hear a very loud "EXCUSE ME" and both of us turn to see some dude, late 40s, pointing a handgun at as both from approx 2m away (both fridge and pizza making area are near front of store). I had a small pencil case we used for keeping money half hanging out of my pocket, so we cleared the till, tossed the money in the bag, handed it to him, maybe $200 in total and he makes his escape.

Me not having been taught anything about what to do if we have a robbery, stood around like a stunned mullet for 20 seconds while the manager activated the alarms and called the cops. Once she finished on the phone with them she turned to me to ask if I was ok. That seemed to wake me up from what I assume was a bit of shock, and in an attempt to seem cool and suave managed to say "well, it's about time something exciting happened here".

Cops arrive 5-10 minutes later and main store manager. I got given free desserts but I am 99% sure I didn't actually clock out that day, meaning I likely lost my $3.70 in tips and probably ~$90 pay. I honestly forgot to ever chase it up. Two months later I filed a payment sheet incorrect saying I did 220 pizza deliveries in a day rather than 22 (absolute accident as a typo, but they never chase it up) and since we got paid a flat fee plus an extra couple bucks a delivery meant I probably turned a profit on the two errors. I called it even, bought a flip phone, and never thought of it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back