Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Would laugh if Australia some how lost this test match to an almost third string Indian line up

Going to be difficult to win it with the weather forecast. And a draw hands India the series. I've been very impressed by India's form and depth over the series. So much talk about their tail not wagging but they've had some critical partnerships late in the order that have defined the series, and I think they've bowled very well.

Going to be difficult to win it with the weather forecast. And a draw hands India the series. I've been very impressed by India's form and depth over the series. So much talk about their tail not wagging but they've had some critical partnerships late in the order that have defined the series, and I think they've bowled very well.

Our bowlers have been very disappointing, second series in a row Vs India at home that same line up has been ineffective against them.
Selectors needed to show more daring and drop Starc or Lyon for the last test

So Cricket Test nerds, there's a daily over limit/minimum right? What's the reason (barring weather) that the team batting first in their second inning can't post a total after say 80 overs, then declare and the second team has 80 overs to reach the same score instead of just having them stand at the crease and block shots until causing a draw?

So Cricket Test nerds, there's a daily over limit/minimum right? What's the reason (barring weather) that the team batting first in their second inning can't post a total after say 80 overs, then declare and the second team has 80 overs to reach the same score instead of just having them stand at the crease and block shots until causing a draw?
Because in that case the team batting first will just be bowling to try stop runs, not bowling to get wickets, which imo is one of the main differences between Test cricket and the shorter forms.

Because in that case the team batting first will just be bowling to try stop runs, not bowling to get wickets, which imo is one of the main differences between Test cricket and the shorter forms.

Okay, but then you've got a team batting second to not get out (yes I realise that's the point) instead of batting to score runs, right?

Okay, but then you've got a team batting to not get out instead of batting to score runs, right?
I think people underestimate how hard batting for survival is. But to use today's test as an example, I think Australia would be making a mistake to bat India out of it, we're better off setting them a target they could chase as it's more likely to lead to wickets.

I think people underestimate how hard batting for survival is. But to use today's test as an example, I think Australia would be making a mistake to bat India out of it, we're better off setting them a target they could chase as it's more likely to lead to wickets.

Was just a thought that I'm certain has been floated before, wondering why it hadn't been adopted.

Was just a thought that I'm certain has been floated before, wondering why it hadn't been adopted.
I think it's just that with so much ODI and T20 cricket these days, there's not really any need to push Test cricket in that direction too.

I know though that in UK domestic comps, captains will often meet before the last day and decide on an informal target and a number of overs to try make a game of a match that would otherwise be a draw, but that doesn't happen much anywhere else.

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it's just that with so much ODI and T20 cricket these days, there's not really any need to push Test cricket in that direction too.

I know though that in UK domestic comps, captains will often meet before the last day and decide on an informal target and a number of overs to try make a game of a match that would otherwise be a draw, but that doesn't happen much anywhere else.
It used to happen in the Sheffield Shield comp when we had one.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
Keep forgetting to cancel foxtel.

I rang to cancel in nov 19 as $94 way too much to pay. They discounted to $57 for 12months.

Kind of hope they do this again howevee id they call my bluff im not fussed. I'll just get kayo for 6months of the year

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

I rang to cancel in nov 19 as $94 way too much to pay. They discounted to $57 for 12months.

Kind of hope they do this again howevee id they call my bluff im not fussed. I'll just get kayo for 6months of the year

I don't think they'll push back too hard. They'd prefer a little bit from you rather than none.

Yep next time you call up to cancel they'll drop it again. Did it with me 3 times before I had enough and cancelled it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Our bowlers have been very disappointing, second series in a row Vs India at home that same line up has been ineffective against them.
Selectors needed to show more daring and drop Starc or Lyon for the last test
Not sure about disappointing - Cummins and Hazelwood have been elite. Can’t have elite performances from all 4 bowlers every series. India’s batsmen have just been very good.

I agree they should have rested Starc for a fresh seamer in this test though. Could have made a huge difference given the workload these bowlers have had.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Pujara settling in for a long days work.
He’s lost his edge imo. I think with Kohli coming in at 4 he can get away with his blocking game, but it puts too much pressure on Rahane. The fact he looks so uncomfortable against Lyon doesn’t help him either

Yep next time you call up to cancel they'll drop it again. Did it with me 3 times before I had enough and cancelled it.
Same.

Gone Kayo now which is actually more convenient anyway, being able to start everything in delay (eg won't get home tonight in time for start of Scorchers but can start it whenever I like). Also being able to Chromecast to any TV, or just easily watch off the laptop.

Also, all series of 30 for 30's are on there. Excellent stuff.

Should he already be back in the Pavilion, though?
I have no idea how that is umpire's call?

EDIT - nevermind, just read about the line across the top of the stumps, not the bails.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Nathan Lyon is the Brodie Grundy of bowlers.

Gone Kayo now which is actually more convenient anyway, b
Couldn't agree more.

Had Foxtel from 1998 till April 2020

Kayo is all I need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back