Banter RDT 156 - Old Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they have changed over from coal powered electricity generation to wind turbines and solar.

Apparently Texas is about 88% coal and gas but that hasn’t stopped Republicans blaming the failure on the 10% wind turbines that have iced up.

Crucially Texas is the only state not connected to the national power grid because legislators there didn’t want to have to comply with federal regulations

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Apparently Texas is about 88% coal and gas but that hasn’t stopped Republicans blaming the failure on the 10% wind turbines that have iced up.

Crucially Texas is the only state not connected to the national power grid because legislators there didn’t want to have to comply with federal regulations
Same thing has happened to the wind turbines and solar panels in Germany and they have had to buy electricity from neighbouring France.......

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a mate from high school who married a yank and moved with her back to her home town in Oklahoma. At the end of October they lost power due to a storm and it took almost two weeks for them to get it back... haven't spoken to him in a while but I'm assuming this storm is affecting him now as well. God we have it lucky here. No snow storms, no tornadoes.

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a mate from high school who married a yank and moved with her back to her home town in Oklahoma. At the end of October they lost power due to a storm and it took almost two weeks for them to get it back... haven't spoken to him in a while but I'm assuming this storm is affecting him now as well. God we have it lucky here. No snow storms, no tornadoes.
Probably caused by the wind rushing down the plains.

Your house struggles as it is to stay up, god help you if the weather got any worse

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn't France have nuclear? I have no problems with nuke power, assuming the storage problem can be sorted. Somehow.
Yes they do. 70% of their needs but with plans to reduce to 50% by 2035. Why I wouldn't know. They are currently the largest exporters of electricity in the world.

Is the online storm also on Facebook? As someone who no longer uses the service, it hasn't affected me at all, except that it was central to radio conversations this morning.

Apparently McGowans FB page is still live but Zac Kirkups is not 🤣

It's been really random, some pages like DFES and BOM have also been caught up in the ban

I hadn't had a FB account since cancelling it off in 2008 after I got an email saying someone overseas logged into my account. 18 months ago I find out a job is available and the only way to apply is through FB, so I rejoin but don't give any pictures and bare minimum personal details. Not surprisingly it's even more full of s**t than when I left it a decade ago. What annoys me most about it is businesses that are too cheap to develop their own website use it as one and it's sometimes the only way to get in touch with them online.

The internet has given every troglodyte campaigner and his dog the opportunity to voice their dumb and irrelevant opinion. FB and Twatter are a cancer on society and I wouldn't miss them disappearing one bit.

And yes I also realise the irony of making this rant on an internet forum and you don't need to point it out *ers.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Daniel Kerr arrested for burning down a house on the same day Facebook bans news is proof that the Eagles not only control The West Australian, Channel 7 and the headspace of most Freo fans, but Big Tech too.

UP THE COASTERS!!!

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I hadn't had a FB account since cancelling it off in 2008 after I got an email saying someone overseas logged into my account. 18 months ago I find out a job is available and the only way to apply is through FB, so I rejoin but don't give any pictures and bare minimum personal details. Not surprisingly it's even more full of sh*t than when I left it a decade ago. What annoys me most about it is businesses that are too cheap to develop their own website use it as one and it's sometimes the only way to get in touch with them online.

The internet has given every troglodyte campaigner and his dog the opportunity to voice their dumb and irrelevant opinion. FB and Twatter are a cancer on society and I wouldn't miss them disappearing one bit.

And yes I also realise the irony of making this rant on an internet forum and you don't need to point it out f***ers.
Facebook turned to s**t when boomers and clickbait news arrived. It really went down hill around 2011-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back